Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeFor Sale

AVOID TRCA-80 ON EBAY9894

Collector cpfefer private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a FF52 that was advertised on Ebay by TRCA-80 as a 9.2-9.4.  The book was graded and regraded by CBCS at a 7.5.  The seller originally said that chipping was present and that CBCS had misgraded it.  He then said that he spoke to CBCS and I should resubmit the book.  Guess what-CBCS confirmed that Marvel chipping was not present and that book was accurately graded.  He has now ghosted me when asking about why he misrepresented the book.  AVOID TRCA-80 on Ebay!  Anyone else with other experience with this scammer would be appreciated so we can at least get him off one site.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@cpfefer Sorry to hear that, although when you buy on eBay this is a reoccurring theme. It's happened to all of us at one point or another. If the book is misrepresented dont be afraid to dispute it. Try to buy graded books from high feedback sellers, and if they offer returns even better.

Your scammers goal was for you to waste time with grading to run out the return protection. Also, grading is subjective so dont take a stranger's word for it. Buy a grading book and read up on how grade is determined by experts - it's a good place to start.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@cpfefer If you paid via paypal remember you have 180 days to file an issue with them. This one is not a straight-forward one but if you feel unhappy with the purchase something you might wish to consider
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
So it was graded by cbcs at 7.5 and the seller was advertising it as A 9.2?

And you took the sellers word over cbcs and paid a 9.2 price for it? Or did you pay a 7.5 price?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The seller definitely makes some serious 9.6 and 9.8 claims on raw books.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
If you phrase it to paypal the way you did above you won't get a refund, it's absolutely confusing. Hopefully you can answer the questions above and provide us with some photos of the comic book after your purchase and after grading by CBCS.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
WOW, that 9.8 Batman 244! Way over-graded and massively over-priced! What a bargain.

The original post has me confused - chipping is a defect, if it is present then that would lower the grade correctly down towards the grade CBCS gave it. It would never be in the 9's with chipping, so how could CBCS have misgraded it?

Maybe the seller said that chipping was NOT present, but CBCS said it WAS present. That would make more sense.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Whenever you see a seller with a decent inventory of "high-grade" key books that are ungraded it's a serious red flag. The obvious question is "why haven't you had them graded so you can get full Market Value?". The answer of course is that they aren't really that nice. I learned my lesson on a "9.2" that had a spine-split that couldn't be seen in the photos. I figured it would still be a good buy at 8.5 when I bought it. With the spine-split it was 6.0. Often you can look through sales history and see they sell the same books over and over, meaning they have been returned by other buyers.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnied
WOW, that 9.8 Batman 244! Way over-graded and massively over-priced! What a bargain.

The original post has me confused - chipping is a defect, if it is present then that would lower the grade correctly down towards the grade CBCS gave it. It would never be in the 9's with chipping, so how could CBCS have misgraded it?

Maybe the seller said that chipping was NOT present, but CBCS said it WAS present. That would make more sense.

I assumed the point with the chipping was, he's getting confused between two different books?

But yes: listen to @flanders when you talk to PayPal. The guy sold you a book as a 9.2, and it is, in fact, a 7.5. That's WAY too far off.

I've just started a dispute on an X-men 101 that was advertised as a 9.2, looked like a 9.2-9.4, but came back a 7.0. (Due to slight rust on a staple, and light stains on the back that I can only see with a black light. So I get why the guy thought it was a 9.2, but it doesn't matter. If it was close, I'd eat it. It's too subjective to kick over a single grade-point. But FIVE grade-points different? That is just too far, in my book.)
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
So I get why the guy thought it was a 9.2, but it doesn't matter. If it was close, I'd eat it. It's too subjective to kick over a single grade-point. But FIVE grade-points different? That is just too far, in my book.

This guy is not legit. If he really thought the FF 52 was a 9.2-9.4 he would have had it graded before trying to sell it. Same with his Captain Atom 83 "9.6". Quite often the opposite is true...they buy a graded 7.0 with hidden flaws, crack the case and try to sell at 9.2-9.4. I knew a major back issue dealer here in Southern California who thought CGC graded too strictly and bragged about how he bought CGC books that looked nicer than the grade, cracked the case of every single one and resold as raw. Of course a year later he was complaining about how he doesn't sell on Ebay anymore because it's full of crooks and liars and scammers! I wonder what he would call a seller who has an information advantage over the buyers and uses it to get above fair market value for his comics.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
What about the ebay sellers who say “CGC gave it a 7.5, but it looks like a 9.0; you should crack and resubmit it.” Then they ask for the 8.0 or even 8.5 price. If they really thought it would get a higher grade if it was resubmitted, wouldn’t they do it themselves and get the 9.0 price for it?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't looked at this seller's listings, and am not saying they're not trying to be shady- Just playing Devil's Advocate and addressing the general 'why' questions; why anyone wouldn't slab their own stock, or why anyone would claim a book is better than the grade.

I'm sure some people loathe the process of slabbing; The bigger the submissions, the bigger the loathing.

Maybe the reason they're selling their books is because they don't have money, and it's hard to slab books if you're in this situation. Some people are unable to spend money in order to make it.

Could be they need the money right now, and can't wait 14+ weeks (assuming they'd press for maximum return).

Maybe they don't know how to grade, but still feel they know better than a 3rd Party Grader (the hobby is FILLED with people like this).
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
What about the ebay sellers who say “CGC gave it a 7.5, but it looks like a 9.0; you should crack and resubmit it.” Then they ask for the 8.0 or even 8.5 price. If they really thought it would get a higher grade if it was resubmitted, wouldn’t they do it themselves and get the 9.0 price for it?

These types of derogatory salesmen approach just come off as comical to me nowadays.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
I haven't looked at this seller's listings, and am not saying they're not trying to be shady- Just playing Devil's Advocate and addressing the general 'why' questions; why anyone wouldn't slab their own stock, or why anyone would claim a book is better than the grade.

I'm sure some people loathe the process of slabbing; The bigger the submissions, the bigger the loathing.

Maybe the reason they're selling their books is because they don't have money, and it's hard to slab books if you're in this situation. Some people are unable to spend money in order to make it.

Could be they need the money right now, and can't wait 14+ weeks (assuming they'd press for maximum return).

Maybe they don't know how to grade, but still feel they know better than a 3rd Party Grader (the hobby is FILLED with people like this).

All good points.

Also, some just like to keep feeding the machine: buying collections and raw stock and selling it as quickly as possible.

And, some don't mind spreading the wealth. Finding the gems in the rough is part of the fun, and some sellers are okay with lots of buyers who like to do that. That's the fun part of collecting, and buying and selling. Buying and selling comics is a way to make money, but it's not really about the money.

As the owner of my LCS said once, after selling a run of Wonder Woman golden age comics to someone, who quickly resold the first appearance and the #1 for a profit: "I did fine selling those. After all, I don't have to make ALL the money."
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

@esaravo

Exactly.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Never trust a raw grade, peer closely at the pictures with your glasses off
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Never trust a raw grade, peer closely at the pictures with your glasses off

It's unfortunate that the times have made the above good advice apply to 'pictures', and not 'scans' like not so long ago. Sure, scanning is a pain, but it's a GREAT way to increase your chances at a sale of a "Key".

When the transition really began to take hold (I'd say around 2014), I often saw "Key" Sales via cell phone pic as an attempt to hide spine tics and general surface wear. I often still do, if I don't know the seller.

Just like 3rd Party grades, a high resolution scan helps remove doubts and concerns a potential buyer may have. Not as much, of course, but if I can see the spine and right/left edge corners on both front and back in scanned detail, odds are higher that I'll buy it over a similar book that was photographed.

Scans seems so rare anymore that they actually stand out. That's a tried, tested & successful selling technique.

Post 17 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
The whole reason why I never gave any of my listings grades. "I am not a professional grader" is something I have ran across way more often than not. When I sell raw books, I don't give any of my books grades because they are extremely subjective. I do my best to take unmolested pictures of any defects with the book to avoid issues. Unless the book has a label from either CBCS or CGC, then the grade will not be in my listing.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector cpfefer private msg quote post Address this user
Disreagard myu prior post. The seller made things right
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
What about the ebay sellers who say “CGC gave it a 7.5, but it looks like a 9.0

I actually appreciate sellers who make statements like this. Because it tells me to never, ever under any circumstances buy a raw book from them.

In a few appropriate circumstances I will say something like "graded 6.0 has eye-appeal of 7.0-7.5" but never indicate that it should actually grade higher if resubmitted. I just assume the grade was based on some flaw that isn't immediately noticeable.
Post 20 IP   flag post
In other threads, here and there, I recall discussions about how the Grading Company got it wrong, and everyone was on board bashing the Label Grade.

It would be hilarious if an "everyone here (CBCS, CGC, FB, wherever) thinks this label is wrong" slab made it to eBay, only for the seller to be ripped apart by people not knowing it's the same book and owner.
Post 21 IP   flag post
601329 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?