Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

Cool books that hit my grading desk.........9890

Collector PDGray private msg quote post Address this user
@SBorock - You obviously have the coolest job in the world and just flaunt it.

I really have to clean this drool from my desk now....

PDG
Post 1226 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDGray

I really have to clean this drool from my desk now....

PDG

LOL!
Post 1227 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Nice book with lingerie panels.

She does kinda look like she's willing to show him her lingerie.
Post 1228 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Gorgeous colour on that cover! Never seen that comic before, either.
Post 1229 IP   flag post
Always loved that Subby #1 is featured on this cover.

Post 1230 IP   flag post

Quote:
Always loved that Subby #1 is featured on this cover.

Beautiful GA goodness!!

I had a Marvel Mystery 11. Unfortunately it was stolen from me about 6 years ago now.

Schomburg did some amazing stuff back then!!

PDG
Post 1231 IP   flag post
Quote:
I had a Marvel Mystery 11. Unfortunately it was stolen from me about 6 years ago now.

So sorry!!
Post 1232 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

So sorry!!

Yeah, I had probably 2-300 GA books and maybe 1000 SA and another 1-2000 bronze/modern books gone in that hit.

In addition to the Marvel Mystery 11, I had a Superman 20, two Hulk 181, Xmen 94, GSX1, Xmen 1, 2, & 4. Spiderman 1, 7, 101, 129, Cap 100, Hulk 1, and a TRUCKLOAD of other keys. I started adding it for my insurance purposes and stopped when I hit $250k in books. My insurance still hasn't paid on it because I don't have receipts for them. Most were cash purchases from the time I was a kid. I certainly couldn't find a receipt from supper last week, much less from a comic book I bought when I was 10.

Let my loss be a cautionary tale to others though.

PDG
Post 1233 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So sorry!!

Yeah, I had probably 2-300 GA books and maybe 1000 SA and another 1-2000 bronze/modern books gone in that hit.

In addition to the Marvel Mystery 11, I had a Superman 20, two Hulk 181, Xmen 94, GSX1, Xmen 1, 2, & 4. Spiderman 1, 7, 101, 129, Cap 100, Hulk 1, and a TRUCKLOAD of other keys. I started adding it for my insurance purposes and stopped when I hit $250k in books. My insurance still hasn't paid on it because I don't have receipts for them. Most were cash purchases from the time I was a kid. I certainly couldn't find a receipt from supper last week, much less from a comic book I bought when I was 10.

PDG

What would you have done differently? Concentrate more on security? Insurance? both?
Post 1234 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I would suggest insurance on books as soon as the collection is valuable to you. One thing I do is take pictures of every book I own when they arrive and mirror my phones pictures to an off site free cloud storage. If my phone is lost or stolen photos are mirrored and insurance accepts that as proof. I also take screenshots of all online transactions as my receipts. This is also mirrored on cloud. By the way cloud storage is a free Dropbox account.

So far this makes documentation easy and redundant. So no hurricane or theft will cause issues with documentation.
Post 1235 IP   flag post
Collector ShoddyShortBox private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
This restored hard to find comic just hit my desk.
Love this book, used to have a nice copy back in the day.

Looking back and drooling over the stunning books in this thread, I realized that some of these high graders look gorgeous from the top but don't always appear flat when considered from the side. For example, this Mystery #2 looks amazing from above, but that scribbly shadow betrays serious unevenness.

I understand that this 82 year old example isn't representative of a 9.8 candidate, but as I consider my own modern candidates for submission I'd like to know: is there a certain level of waviness or unevenness allowed in a 9.8 or should I take books out of the running that aren't perfectly flat? I haven't had a chance to examine many 9.8 slabs, so if anyone here might own a less than perfectly flat one that they could PM me for reference I'd really appreciate it. Sorry for the diversion and please, on with the show. 🍿🙂
Post 1236 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So sorry!!

PDG

I've been there. Mine wasn't as bad as yours (but still pretty bad!). It was during a time I'd quit collecting for a while, and I didn't notice the missing boxes until about a year after we'd completed an interstate move. Three short boxes, two full of nice condition GA books (bunch of ECs, a dozen or so Captain America, a 25-issue Batman run starting with #20, All-Star, All-Select) and one with X-Men GSX1 through 200 (including associated books like Hulk 180-182).

I was dumb enough to have some of my boxes labeled (including these three). Since these guys worked on long-distance moves, I presume they got sold off at stores around the country. I used to have a complete inventory of what was in those boxes - would look at it from time to time before realizing I was just keeping the wound open and threw it out. Like you, they were all books I bought way back in the '80s as a teenager (working crazy hours for decent pay during the summers and on weekends while living at home). I could never prove I owned any of them, and by the time I noticed they were gone, it was way too late.

I haven't moved since then, but next time it happens ain't no one touching my comic boxes.
Post 1237 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito

What would you have done differently? Concentrate more on security? Insurance? both?

So, first thing - the books were out of my control. When I initially went off to the Army they were secure at my Dads house. While I was off in the Army, they moved them into a storage building/unit. I had absolutely no opportunity to move the books or empty the storage unit so essentially, I was stuck.

Second, it was undervalued on insurance, although attempts by me to get them insured became pointless because insurance wanted an independent appraisal when I had the books in my possession. Otherwise, they wanted receipts for all of it. Nobody in my geographic area could do such a thing, nor would I trust them to do so.

Third, once I was back from overseas I was still stationed a long-distance from my collection - so again, no real opportunity to retrieve them. This was the point where the theft took place.

After the theft, I made a special trip to assess the damage - less than 24 hours after the crime. At that point I rounded up every book I could get my hands on and brought them back with me.

It just so happened that my "Key book" box was one that was stolen. This had tons of higher-value books as when I was younger I would decorate my apartment/house with the books sticking push-pins through the bags and having them hang on the walls.

So, those are the big takeaways and it's how I would advise anyone who has high-value books to look after them.

When I made my final move with the Army - for my retirement - I moved them myself so @CatCovers - you are on the right track with moving them yourself. I went through several moves over my military career and NEVER had a single move without issues or damage - nobody will take care of your stuff as you will. My first move, back in 1999 - the movers stole every single one of my PlayStation games and my memory cards. My second move, in 2002 - the movers stole a computer and a lot of my games. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Movers KNOW what you have and what has value and generally, don't seem to feel like they get paid enough. They don't care if they damage/destroy your mother's hope chest and figure if you have a collection that you won't mind if a few things go missing. Others may disagree with my thoughts, but those are based on my experiences - yours may vary.

PDG
Post 1238 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
My last few moves were done with PODS under my own lock and key.
Post 1239 IP   flag post
Sweeeeeet Adams cover!

Post 1240 IP   flag post
@sborock Welcome back 👏👏👏
Post 1241 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock you're already working? Your work ethic amazes me brother! I just got this same comic in high grade from Ankur which I intend to have graded.
Post 1242 IP   flag post
@SpiderTim I usually get here between 5:30 and 6:00. We are so swamped and I am training 3 new graders.
No rest for the wicked!
Post 1243 IP   flag post
Quote:
@SpiderTim I usually get here between 5:30 and 6:00. We are so swamped and I am training 3 new graders.
No rest for the wicked!

Were it geographically feasible I would LOVE to come work for you and grade comics. I honestly think I would be happy with that as my next career.

PDG
Post 1244 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
No rest for the wicked!

Were it geographically feasible I would LOVE to come work for you and grade comics. I honestly think I would be happy with that as my next career.

PDG

Ditto
Post 1245 IP   flag post
Collector Pandorasdad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
No rest for the wicked!

PDG

Yeah, I live three hours south of Dallas and I think about it sometimes.
Post 1246 IP   flag post
Quote:
No rest for the wicked!

Appreciate the hard work so much. Yeah, the wait is long, but I like the result so I'll be sticking with it!
Post 1247 IP   flag post
Bucky is in real trouble here!

Post 1248 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Ooh, that can't be good. Nice book though!
Post 1249 IP   flag post
@sborock That is a fantastic book! Incredible cover.
Post 1250 IP   flag post
Quote:

@sborock

Seeing the relatively great condition of some of these geriatric comics, I wonder if you could share any interesting stories of particularly gnarly 🧫🔬👨🏻🔬 (biohazard?!) condition situations you may have encountered and how you had to handle them?
Post 1251 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The cutting edge of entertainment!
Post 1252 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@ShoddyShortBox I would think mold would be in that category.
Post 1253 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Yeah, he's about to get T-bagged by Cap 😜
Post 1254 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexView
Quote:

Yeah, he's about to get T-bagged by Cap 😜

And as soon as we see that nudie skelly dude is buck nekkid and grabbing his joystick it takes things to another level.
Post 1255 IP   flag post
601453 1374 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?