Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

Cool books that hit my grading desk.........9890

I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock When I send my book hopefully it ends up in this threa! it's a good one!
Post 1151 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
when or if a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #9 virgin villain variant comes across your desk let me know
Post 1152 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
@ComicNinja0215 The cover for Batman #5 is way ahead of it's time. One of my faves!

Totally agree, Batman 5 and Tec 31 are my favorite Batman covers. my copy of Batman 5 has been through a blender but still a cool book in a cool case
Post 1153 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Quote:
@ComicNinja0215 The cover for Batman #5 is way ahead of it's time. One of my faves!

Totally agree, Batman 5 and Tec 31 are my favorite Batman covers. my copy of Batman 5 has been through a blender but still a cool book in a cool case

Yeah, just love that cover! Congrats!
Post 1154 IP   flag post
Collector PDGray private msg quote post Address this user
I have yet to find a cover/book in this thread I didn't like.

PDG
Post 1155 IP   flag post

@PDGray Thanks! I try to only show the cool stuff.
Post 1156 IP   flag post
Quote:
@PDGray Thanks! I try to only show the cool stuff.

@sborock - Ok, so I am going to go beyond this a bit, so forgive me here, but I view each and every comic book as cool in its own way. Every book is/was a labor of love for its creator regardless of whether its an Action 1 or not. I have a love and respect of the skill involved with the writers/artists/colorists as it is a skillset I have yet to develop.

So, while not every book is a Batman 5 or Hulk 181, I find them all amazing in their own way.

PDG
Post 1157 IP   flag post
@PDGray I totally agree with you, but that said, I can only post a book here and there and want to make sure that most people here have either never seen it or think it's SUPER cool.
Post 1158 IP   flag post
Hard to find this era WW's in high grade.

Post 1159 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
That WW is gorgeous. I have a couple from around that era, and they're so thrashed!
Post 1160 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
That WW is gorgeous. I have a couple from around that era, and they're so thrashed!

Even in low grade, they are super cool covers!
Post 1161 IP   flag post
Quote:
@PDGray I totally agree with you, but that said, I can only post a book here and there and want to make sure that most people here have either never seen it or think it's SUPER cool.

Oh, I completely understand. You can't post every single thing that comes across your desk - that would take FOREVER and you would never get anything else done.

I just had a moment yesterday.

As an aside, how many books actually do come across your desk in a given day? Guess I am curious about that....

Wonder if my XMen 94 might hit your desk at some point or if it goes to another set of graders... Hmmmm....

PDG
Post 1162 IP   flag post
We can get about 4000 books a week out at the moment. Not sure how many I do in a day as it depends on how hard or easy they are to grade. That said, I have been training graders like crazy, so we should be able to double that in a couple of months.

Yes, your book will hit my desk as I do all high value.
Post 1163 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
We can get about 4000 books a week out at the moment. Not sure how many I do in a day as it depends on how hard or easy they are to grade. That said, I have been training graders like crazy, so we should be able to double that in a couple of months.

WOW!

And,

Double WOW!
Post 1164 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator super WOW!! quick math says TATs (with pressing) are 50 weeks and normal is 25 weeks - so that means 100,000 to 200,000 books graded between when you send a book in today and when you get your books back!!
Post 1165 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

never realized it was that many. thats why Im being patient with my submission. You or another grader will get to it when you get to it. been almost 4 months...and know could be at least another 4 if Im lucky... but will be worth it
Post 1166 IP   flag post
@power_struggle55 Thank you!
Post 1167 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
Quote:

never realized it was that many. thats why Im being patient with my submission. You or another grader will get to it when you get to it. been almost 4 months...and know could be at least another 4 if Im lucky... but will be worth it

@power_struggle55 is absolutely correct. I know I'll be satisfied with what I get when I get it. I know some books may grade lower than I was hoping, but that has always come down to my own error in estimating grade.

Good job, CBCS.
Post 1168 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I wish I still lived in Dallas. I would certainly come see you. You would be training another grader. But I moved 3 hours west of your facility, and a 6 hour round trip just isn't feasible,... I would be grading books with toothpicks holding my eyelids open. LOL

On the subject of Wonder Woman,.. in 1972 I purchased #10 for .03 cents. I can't remember the villain, but it seemed like he was wearing the Riddler's costume without all the question marks on it. In 2004 I sold it on ebay as a raw 8.5 - received major kudos for that one. Actually, received major kudos on all my sales.
Post 1169 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder I think it was a guy from Saturn, right? Weird cover.
Post 1170 IP   flag post
Speaking of WW covers, I do have this one. Absolutely love this cover.

Post 1171 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Pre_Coder I think it was a guy from Saturn, right? Weird cover.

Yeah, I just did a search, and it was this cover...

Post 1172 IP   flag post
Yep! Goofy cover by today's standards.....maybe even back then. LOL!
Post 1173 IP   flag post
Quote:
Yep! Goofy cover by today's standards.....maybe even back then. LOL!

I agree. But in many instances, the GA books with goofy covers,.. the goofier they were, the cooler they were.
Post 1174 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder Not the World's Finest covers, they are goofy and are boring (IMHO)
Post 1175 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

I wish I still lived in Dallas. I would certainly come see you. You would be training another grader.

@Pre_Coder @SBorock - I was just thinking the same thing the past couple of nights.

Dream Job.
Post 1176 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

I wish I still lived in Dallas. I would certainly come see you. You would be training another grader.

@Pre_Coder @SBorock - I was just thinking the same thing the past couple of nights.

Dream Job.

Two words... DALLAS TRAFFIC! I hope Steve has something akin to the Fantasticar.
Post 1177 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Happy dance! I believe my QuickStream order will fall into that category.

Post 1178 IP   flag post
Quote:

@sborock - First, thank you for taking time to reply to my questions, both here and in other threads. Honestly, I am a bit humbled that you do that.

Second, I think that is an absolutely astonishing number of books. In your position the simple fact that you take the time to look at books like, perhaps mine, is even more incredible. I know that every book is time consuming as you pore over the details. What an amazing process!! Thank you for this minor insight into what you do.

Finally, if it were geographically possible, I would absolutely LOVE to become a grader. Comic books, for me, have been a fairly significant part of my life. I love the history and the portion of pop-culture that they represent. Being even a small part of that preservation process would be an honor.

Thank you again for all you do!

Respectfully,

PDG

p.s. My 94 is double signed by Claremont and Bob McLeod, and I estimate it would probably be a 4.0, although I would hope for maybe a 5.5. Let's see what it comes back as!!
Post 1179 IP   flag post
@PDGray Thanks for the kind words! I love being part of our great community!
Post 1180 IP   flag post
598060 1374 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?