CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

Cool books that hit my grading desk.........9890

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Forgot to post this beauty last week.
Restored, but what a great job!

Post 1001 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock

WOW!!!!!
Post 1002 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I feel like that guy on the lower-left corner of the cover. losing my mind over how fantastic this book looks.
Post 1003 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock eh, it's just an action comics 1, it's easy to forget about it, lol.
Post 1004 IP   flag post
Maybe they just like me better. Nah, that's not it. BPaxson002 private msg quote post Address this user
You should get permission from the owner to use the after slab as marking material for CBCS. Plus ask them to keep you informed if they ever put it up for sale. That will get you some great press for nothing.
Post 1005 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPaxson002
You should get permission from the owner to use the after slab as marking material for CBCS. Plus ask them to keep you informed if they ever put it up for sale. That will get you some great press for nothing.

When you sign the submission form, you agree to let us use the images for advertising and such.
Post 1006 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Ever consider having a contest where you ask us to guess the final grade? The prize could be a small discount on grading or something?
Post 1007 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC
Ever consider having a contest where you ask us to guess the final grade? The prize could be a small discount on grading or something?

Problem is that I never remember the grades after I grade them. Too many books!
Post 1008 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@BPaxson002 - Terms of use dictates CBCS already has authority to use post encased images.

Edit-

Oops, didn’t see that @sborock already noted such
Post 1009 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
That's at least the second Action 1 that's been in this thread. Not bad considering there are only thought to be 100 or so still in existence.
Post 1010 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
That. Is. Gorgeous.
I am SHOOK.
Post 1011 IP   flag post
Not the highest of grades, but I just love this cover!

Post 1012 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
That's at least the second Action 1 that's been in this thread. Not bad considering there are only thought to be 100 or so still in existence.
really? But I suppose comics were produced in the thousands back then rather than tens or hundreds of thousands like more recent books.
Post 1013 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
really? But I suppose comics were produced in the thousands back then rather than tens or hundreds of thousands like more recent books.

Actually comics were selling in much higher numbers of each single issue than today.
Post 1014 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The amount of new comics being sold today would've been cancellation territory back in the day.
Post 1015 IP   flag post
Nice high grade 30 cent variant...

Post 1016 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Golden age books deal with the Triple whammy of having had to live through paper drives, lack of a collectors market and the seduction of the innocent coming out and causing parents to trash their kids comics...or their own!
Post 1017 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
Quote:

Golden age books deal with the Triple whammy of having had to live through paper drives, lack of a collectors market and the seduction of the innocent coming out and causing parents to trash their kids comics...or their own!

All very true. Plus just the wear and tear that 70 or 80 years can have on newsprint.
Post 1018 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@CatCovers

I always forget that part!

I’d be curious if anyone has figured out what the natural “decay rate” is?

Meaning how many comics just get lost/ destroyed each year just from normal factors.
Post 1019 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie I'd bet there are too many environmental variables (heat, humidity, method of storage) to really get a useful rate. I mean, say you bought two copies of Action 1 the day it came out. One you put in mylar immediately (it didn't exist yet, but let's ignore that) and stowed away in a chest in a Wyoming basement. The other you left unbagged and stuck on a shelf under a window in an old shed in New Orleans. They'd look very different today.

But I was also thinking just the wear and tear of life. Floods. Fires. Mice. Bugs. People moving and throwing out old junk. Kids growing up and tossing things out. A hundred other things that end with what could have been a million-dollar book destroyed or sitting in a landfill.

It's hard out there for a comic.
Post 1020 IP   flag post
Collector Sunvox private msg quote post Address this user
Regardless. Gorgeous books! Thanks so much for sharing. Just wonder . . . how did the lucky owner come by such beauties???
Post 1021 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Would love to see the slab results!!!
Post 1022 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

So I checked and CBCS has graded 7 copies of Action Comics 1.

1 in 9.6 and 3 in 9.4, also 1 9.0 those are all restored. The only unrestored copy is 0.3

These high grade copies didn’t really exist before so that means there is a serious restoration trend going on here.

Can’t wait to see the Mile High copy one day.
Post 1023 IP   flag post
Collector Sunvox private msg quote post Address this user
Quick question from a newbie so forgive me if this is a faux pas, but can you say anything about what restoration was done? Whatever it was, it looks stunning now!
Post 1024 IP   flag post
@KYDU I saw the MH/Church Copy before he put it away for good in 1998.
It is a beauty to behold!
Post 1025 IP   flag post
Weekend grading!

Post 1026 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I really appreciate the weekend work. At least you have amazing books like this to keep things interesting!
Post 1027 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd Thanks! It really is a labor of love. Would not be doing this otherwise....
Post 1028 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@KYDU I saw the MH/Church Copy before he put it away for good in 1998.
It is a beauty to behold!

@sborock would it be fair to say that if that book was to get graded would it likely become the highest graded AC1 book out there?
Post 1029 IP   flag post
@GAC Yes, by far...
Post 1030 IP   flag post
601518 1374 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?