Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

Cool books that hit my grading desk.........9890

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I am curious about the process itself...what determines which books you yourself grade? Do you get the top 2% or is it random and they deal you books to grade like any other grader?
Post 76 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I am curious about the process itself...what determines which books you yourself grade? Do you get the top 2% or is it random and they deal you books to grade like any other grader?

Great question....I'd love to know if one of my books was graded by Steve!
Post 77 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Classic hanging cover..........

gruesome cover....look at that kink in his neck...jeez!
Post 78 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

I finalize all rapid, quickstream, 1 & 2 day submissions. When I am done, I help finalize all other tiers to move your comics through quicker. This weekend I put in about 12 hours and mostly finalized moderns (about 80%).
Post 79 IP   flag post
That tells me who has the final word on the next submission I am making !
Post 80 IP   flag post

Here's a cool modern cover I just graded. See, not everything I grade is rare, just showing off covers & comics I think are cool.

Post 81 IP   flag post
Another great & classic cover.......

Post 82 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here's a cool modern cover I just graded. See, not everything I grade is rare, just showing off covers & comics I think are cool.

Looks like a Dave McKean Sandman cover

I'd have to say Paolo Rivera got some talent.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I've loved this cover since the first time I saw it!!! Other than this and Steranko's Nick Fury #7, does anyone know of any other Dali inspired covers?
Post 84 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Other than this and Steranko's Nick Fury #7, does anyone know of any other Dali inspired covers?

Maybe this one by Artgerm? I could be thinking of someone other than Dali...

Post 85 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Oh! I found another one.

Post 86 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid Thanks!!! I did not know of that Star Spangled Comics one. That looks very cool!! And the Artgerm looks awesome!!! I'm not sure if it was a Dali inspired piece, but it is a very cool surrealist cover!!!
Post 87 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Another great & classic cover.......

thats such an awesome LB Cole cover
Post 88 IP   flag post
Sweet WWII Cap in nice shape.

Post 89 IP   flag post
so the most original way to save up for your vacation, for each of these books you get to read as you grade, save the cover price in a jar, against your next vacation.
Post 90 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

damn, you must love your job, beautiful book
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector FURIOUSWARRIOR private msg quote post Address this user
That Captain America is so nice looking! So cool books in that condition are still around.
Two thumbs up!!!
*stares at picture for another 10 minutes *
Post 92 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I've loved this cover since the first time I saw it!!! Other than this and Steranko's Nick Fury #7, does anyone know of any other Dali inspired covers?

was gonna say...does this count as Steranko or Dali inspired?
Can't think of any others (really hope I would have noticed!!)
Post 93 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

my favorite cap cover
Post 94 IP   flag post
@KatKomics You really got me thinking on this one!!! I have a theory. First off, here's Dali's Persistence of Memory.

Now here is Dali's Disintegration of the Persistence of Memory.

Now, Steranko's Nick Fury #7.

There are numerous Dali paintings with straight lines on the ground. What I think, is that Steranko was intrigued by the Disintegration painting for the Nick Fury comic. I'd love to ask him or find out!!! But to me, it looks like it is his own take on that thought of substance disintegrating.

Now the Paolo Rivera ASM 592 looks much more like the regular Persistence of Memory. I really don't see it being influenced by Sterano. Does that make sense?

And BTW, I found one more that might be a Dali inspired cover. I actually had it in my want list folder. I completely forgot it.

Post 95 IP   flag post
Nice early pre-Batman Detective.....

Post 96 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Other than this and Steranko's Nick Fury #7, does anyone know of any other Dali inspired covers?

Reminds me somewhat of M.C. Escher.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
He'd probably have an easier time avoiding notice if he wasn't wearing Mr. Peppermint's shirt.

Quote:

Post 98 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I got to hold a Detective Comics #1 once. It was in a Fortress case (pre-CGC era).
It's fun to see that early era stuff.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I got to hold a Detective Comics #1 once. It was in a Fortress case (pre-CGC era).

I had a decent copy of #1 back in the day, but since it had the word "gook" written on it and bothered me so much, I had it cleaned off. It was just too offensive to me even though I knew it was done during an era that were were not friendly (to say the least) with Japan.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Super white copy of this great FF issue. This comic also features a fan letter from a young Dave Cockrum.

Post 101 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid

Reminds me somewhat of M.C. Escher.

That's who I was thinking of! Of course. Thanks!

Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I had a decent copy of #1 back in the day, but since it had the word "gook" written on it and bothered me so much, I had it cleaned off. It was just too offensive to me even though I knew it was done during an era that were were not friendly (to say the least) with Japan.

I can see that would be a problem.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Cool Key issue with a great cover featuring the Red Skull and Hitler.

Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking of inappropriate racial statements, I present the entire character of Whitewash Jones. It's actually so egregiously bad I find it hysterical. It's like a parody of racism.
Post 105 IP   flag post
598062 1374 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?