Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

Cool books that hit my grading desk.........9890

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
....and now for something completely different......

Post 576 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
....and now for something completely different......

What wild cover. Anyone know who the cover artist is? Such an interesting conglomeration on cover.
Post 577 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like Barks to a great degree
Post 578 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text

Alice in Blunderland
Details
1952, Published by: Industrial Services, Illustrations: Unknown

Comics

Soft Covers
More details
A comic book on Government waste, focusing negatively on value of jobs in public works, and questionably criticizing tax for the wealthy
Post 579 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town I wish there was a way to find out.
Post 580 IP   flag post

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@GAC agree. The perfect marketing for the new case.

Yes, this one HAS to go in the new case. Are you kidding me? Of course it should! Highlight that puppy.

Also, dying to see the grade. Is that a 9.4?

Without seeing the back cover nor any visual of the PQ, It could be anything, but it’s a safe bet that the range is 8.5 to a 9.6 apparent grade from what we can see. A 9.6 would match the highest grade (Universal & Restored) currently in the CGC census. They have an A-5 (extensive) as the top graded Action #1.

This copy looks professionally restored although it’s very difficult determining any measure of the work that was done at a glance from a single image.

Regardless, it’s a big deal for CBCS. Bragging rights for adding any copy of this key among keys in high grade is newsworthy regardless of it’s restoration status.

There are only 41 unrestored copies of Action #1 in the competitor’s census (assuming no resub duplications), 9.0 being the highest universal grade.

Congrats to Steve for landing this big 🎣 fish.
Post 581 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
clickable text

Alice in Blunderland
Details

Comics

Soft Covers
More details
A comic book on Government waste, focusing negatively on value of jobs in public works, and questionably criticizing tax for the wealthy

Oh, wow ... so it's an Ayn Rand type comic book then? There was a lot of pushback on taxes for the wealthy at that time, since the highest bracket was something like 91%-92%. It had gone up a lot to help pay for the war expenses. So in the 1950's we were still pretty high ... we were on the other side of the Laffer curve back then, where cutting taxes could actually increase government revenues.

Haven't been there for many, many years, unfortunately.
Post 582 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
If it is a government publication then there is probably some wasteful paper trail. Try a FOIA request to see if the details are available.
Post 583 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
If it is a government publication then there is probably some wasteful paper trail. Try a FOIA request to see if the details are available.

Maybe I'll give that a try
Post 584 IP   flag post
I don't know what Industrial Services would fall under as a publisher. From what little information I've seen on the book, it appears that it was commissioned and published by the federal government. It should be eligible for a FOIA request. I just don't know the department or agency the request would go to. I just know requests are processed in the order received. So, if you can get past all the people requesting info about Area 51 and the CIA-Mafia alliance, you should be good.
Post 585 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
Industrial Services sounds more like and industrial lobby/advocacy group rather than a government entity.
Post 586 IP   flag post
Industrial Services, New York, published in 1952 is the best I can come up with right now. I'm intrigued because I started looking into it and would like closure.
Post 587 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Industrial Services, New York, published in 1952 is the best I can come up with right now. I'm intrigued because I started looking into it and would like closure.
LOL don't you just hate that. Start digging sometimes and drives ya crazy. I actually have two of these in high grade. Cool book. Would really love to know the artist.
Post 588 IP   flag post
Collector naftixe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
clickable text

Alice in Blunderland
Details

Comics

Soft Covers
More details
Thanks. Very interesting read thru the link and page pictures.
Post 589 IP   flag post
This one blew my mind the 1st time I read it!

Post 590 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

have a few copies, a cbcs 9.8 newstand, a couple of direct editions, a couple Canadian variants and a mark jewelers. Great story, great character
Post 591 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I never did have a Thor #337. Might have to pick one up
Post 592 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I'm truly wondering if that could actually be one of my books finally in the Cool Books thread? Graded and slabbed last week, does it fit this description?:

Thor #337
Marvel11 1983
Variant: Newsstand Edition
Pedigree:

Certified
White

Notes:
spine stress breaks color
small crease middle left back cover barely breaks color
light cover bends
Post 593 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller Could be. I usually can't remember what books I have graded with other books unless I have just graded them that day.
Post 594 IP   flag post
Love this Jack Davis cover from 1962.

Post 595 IP   flag post
Killer Frazetta cover!

Post 596 IP   flag post
Quote:
Killer Frazetta cover!

I'd say thats some of his best work. When you look at all the individual lines and the detail up close it's true art.
Post 597 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Killer Frazetta cover!

@sborock Working away on Canada Day!? 🇨🇦

You’re a machine 😉
Post 598 IP   flag post
Here's one you never see in great shape.

Post 599 IP   flag post
Great colors on this one.

Post 600 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
yeah the yellow and red are popping!

Wave that Flag...wave it wide and high!!!
Post 601 IP   flag post
This hot book keeps hitting my grading desk.

Post 602 IP   flag post
@sborock whats the deal with that book. I dont follow new comics, but I see it everywhere. A friend has a short box filled with them.
Post 603 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 1st Miles Morales. You need to see the movie, it's so much fun!
Post 604 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@sborock whats the deal with that book. I dont follow new comics, but I see it everywhere. A friend has a short box filled with them.

They are selling for $350 a pop on eBay, raw, for nice copies. $900 - $1000 for graded 9.8. Your friend is sitting on a small fortune.
Post 605 IP   flag post
601256 1374 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?