Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

Cool books that hit my grading desk.........9890

I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user

Post 276 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
My favorite pre-hero Detective cover.

Post 277 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock

Awesome cover. Always like the non-superhero stuff as you know.
Post 278 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Appears to be October 1941 a few months before pearl harbor...if that is the Arizona and especially with those diver bombers dropping bombs...was the printed date far enough behind the comic actually was printed after the attack?

No, the dates went the other way. The "October" comic would be on the stands in August. That way, they appear to be new for a couple months. (They certainly wouldn't want to make the comic appear older than it really is!)
Post 279 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Appears to be October 1941 a few months before pearl harbor...if that is the Arizona and especially with those diver bombers dropping bombs...was the printed date far enough behind the comic actually was printed after the attack?

No, the dates went the other way. The "October" comic would be on the stands in August. That way, they appear to be new for a couple months. (They certainly wouldn't want to make the comic appear older than it really is!)
which only heightens my point about the timing...but you are right about which way the dates work, thanks..just an odd coincidence I guess
Post 280 IP   flag post

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

which only heightens my point about the timing...but you are right about which way the dates work, thanks..just an odd coincidence I guess

Probably not that much of a coincidence since we were very close to entering the war in Europe as early as 1940. Our lend/lease ships that provided a lifeline to the UK were being sunk by Axis Wolf-packs in the Atlantic and shipping on the East coast constantly under threat. Lou Fine’s cover was perfectly topical of the growing U.S. preparation for war at the time.

One interesting coincidence though. #16 is the one issue of National currently in my collection.
Post 281 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Probably not that much of a coincidence since we were very close to entering the war in Europe as early as 1940.

I believe that the coincidence in which @Darkseid_of_town is referring to, is how the scene on the cover of this comic seems to portend the attack on Pearl Harbour in particular.
Post 282 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Probably not that much of a coincidence since we were very close to entering the war in Europe as early as 1940.

I believe that the coincidence in which @Darkseid_of_town is referring to, is how the scene on the cover of this comic seems to portend the attack on Pearl Harbour in particular.
Precisely my point in the post....the oncoming war with Germany was no big secret in 1941, but the US was still trying to maintain a friendship with the Imperial Japanese forces right up till Pearl harbor was struck.
That ship pictured is either the USS Arizona or a sister battleship, of similar shape and design. There were two ships in that class of battleship, Arizona and Pennsylvania. Those ships were both assigned to the Pacific Fleet, and were both steam powered and too slow to keep up with more modern aircraft carriers of the fleet...so they were basically stored at anchor, at Pearl Harbor . When they were hit at Pearl harbor , most were sunk or bombed into wreckage, and a new class of battleship was begun that was more modern, that would Include such prolific ships as the USS Missourri, as well as I think about 3 others, making four total from that class.
My comment was because those are pacific theater ships, being attacked ...either by German Stuka bombers or Japanese dive bombers. That would require an assualt on......Pearl Harbor where both ships were stationed.
Post 283 IP   flag post
Quote:
@CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lou Fine’s Giant skeletal Hun cover impresses me as symbolizing the Axis control of Atlantic shipping that was dragging us into war ...not a looming threat from Imperial Japan. That doesn’t mean Darkseid is wrong about the cover anticipating war, just that we have different interpretations of what the artist is depicting in his vision of war.

If you’d like to see something incredibly coincidental look at HIT Comics #18 with a cover date of December 1941. This comic was on the newsstand Oct. 3 (over a full month before Pearl Harbor) and features the premiere of Stormy Foster, The Great Defender, in hand to hand combat with Japanese saboteurs on top of a bridge. That cover is the epitome of irony.

Post 284 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
@CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lou Fine’s Giant skeletal Hun cover impresses me as symbolizing the ongoing Axis threat ...not a looming threat from Imperial Japan. That doesn’t mean Darkseid is wrong about the cover anticipating war, just that we have different interpretations of what the artist is depicting in his vision of war.

If you’d like to see something incredibly coincidental look at HIT Comics #18 with a cover date of December 1941. This comic was on the newsstand Oct. 3 (over a full month before Pearl Harbor) and features the premiere of Stormy Foster, The Great Defender, in hand to hand combat with Japanese saboteurs on top of a bridge. That cover is the epitome of irony.

Seems like a superhero shouldn't be in loose fitting shorts. Everything so serious on cover, and the we have a guy in gym shorts whoopin ass. Seems amiss somehow, lol.
Post 285 IP   flag post
Quote:

One of my all time favorite 'Tecs too! The copy from Edgar's basement...

Post 286 IP   flag post
I pretty much agree Catman, just I find it odd that the depiction is a german soldier, but the American ship we see was one of two battleships we know were stationed permanently at Pearl Harbor prior to the attack, by Japanese forces.
Post 287 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I pretty much agree Catman, just I find it odd that the depiction is a german soldier, but the American ship we see was one of two battleships we know were stationed permanently at Pearl Harbor prior to the attack, by Japanese forces.

Well ... the artist had to have a model to draw from. I'm guessing he/she wasn't super concerned with fidelity to the exact right battleship. Maybe these two were easier to find pictures of, being permanently at anchor at Pearl Harbor?

Besides that, I wonder what coastal city that is supposed to be. New York maybe? Looks like a skyscraper in the background.
Post 288 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Seems like a superhero shouldn't be in loose fitting shorts. Everything so serious on cover, and the we have a guy in gym shorts whoopin ass. Seems amiss somehow, lol.

Heh ... he's depicted as a giant, too. That main cable is some three feet wide in real life. And those two smaller cables should be about waist high, used as hand rails as you walk up it.

I guess the guy was just using a picture and had no idea what it really looked like.

Post 289 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Well ... the artist had to have a model to draw from. I'm guessing he/she wasn't super concerned with fidelity to the exact right battleship. Maybe these two were easier to find pictures of, being permanently at anchor at Pearl Harbor?

Besides that, I wonder what coastal city that is supposed to be. New York maybe? Looks like a skyscraper in the background.
Alright then lets simplify the discussion so it makes better sense...battleships were assigned to the US pacific fleet, because again they were all steam powered and could not keep up with the other more modern ships. This means they were assigned to Pearl Harbor and would not be in the Atlantic battling Nazis, being bombed by Nazis etc.
The image of an American world war 2 battleship in context of a Nazi attack early in the war at least isn't likely...the Atlantic fleet was largely destroyers,cruisers, and submarines, in response to the german u boat packs

That is the point I am trying to get across here...battleships pre war shouldn't be being bombed by anything but Japanese forces
Post 290 IP   flag post
Quote:
Alright then lets simplify the discussion so it makes better sense...battleships were assigned to the US pacific fleet, because again they were all steam powered and could not keep up with the other more modern ships. This means they were assigned to Pearl Harbor and would not be in the Atlantic battling Nazis, being bombed by Nazis etc.
The image of an American world war 2 battleship in context of a Nazi attack early in the war at least isn't likely...the Atlantic fleet was largely destroyers,cruisers, and submarines, in response to the german u boat packs

That is the point I am trying to get across here...battleships pre war shouldn't be being bombed by anything but Japanese forces

And certainly not bombed by a plane that looks like that! That one is WAY too big. Plus, I don't think there's any way he's gonna pull out of that dive in time.

Is that even how they drop the bombs? They weren't rockets yet, right? So, just gravity to get it to target. Which means it's not gonna go forward like that in a dive - it will stay right next to the "falling" plane.

I suppose it could be a torpedoes ... but those they dropped horizontally in the water. Then the torpedoes' propeller would push it through the water, just under the surface, in a straight line. So I don't know what that guy is dropping on the ship.

(But whatever it is, it's as big as a bus!)
Post 291 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01

Heh ... he's depicted as a giant, too. That main cable is some three feet wide in real life. And those two smaller cables should be about waist high, used as hand rails as you walk up it.

I guess the guy was just using a picture and had no idea what it really looked like.

The cover's perspective is awesome even though Reed Crandall obviously scaled the bridge cable proportions down by at least 50%.

Good call on the Golden Gate bridge. The suspension bridge is quite similar.

Quote:
Quote:

And certainly not bombed by a plane that looks like that! That one is WAY too big. Plus, I don't think there's any way he's gonna pull out of that dive in time.

Is that even how they drop the bombs? They weren't rockets yet, right? So, just gravity to get it to target. Which means it's not gonna go forward like that in a dive - it will stay right next to the "falling" plane.

I suppose it could be a torpedoes ... but those they dropped horizontally in the water. Then the torpedoes' propeller would push it through the water, just under the surface, in a straight line. So I don't know what that guy is dropping on the ship.

(But whatever it is, it's as big as a bus!)

German Stuka dive bombers. Yes, that's how they delivered payloads. And you're right, Lou Fine took a few liberties with proportions.

For instance, Uncle Sam probably wouldn't be drawn this size today...

Not sure if this copy ever crossed Steve's desk, but it might've (many years ago).
Post 292 IP   flag post
WOW! Just hit my desk! PLEASE NO POLITICS!

Post 293 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock Is that Barak's sig?
Post 294 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

should be - otherwise don’t think it would be considered
Post 295 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Exactly!
Post 296 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock

If you ever named your child after Obama...

Barack Borock
Post 297 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Exactly!

That is very cool indeed!!!
Post 298 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@sborock

If you ever named your child after Obama...

Barack Borock

What would the middle name be? Barack Bereck Borock?
Post 299 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Exactly!

It might even be addressed to Jack Nicholson
Post 300 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Maybe! But my money would be on a person named Nicholas. I'm going to guess that this signature has more fakes out there than most.
Post 301 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

Maybe! But my money would be on a person named Nicholas. I'm going to guess that this signature has more fakes out there than most.

You are probably right - otherwise he would have used Jack

Pretty sure sig has passed verification though
Post 302 IP   flag post
Super nice copy of this key book!

Post 303 IP   flag post
Sweet copy of the 1st Giant-Man

Post 304 IP   flag post
1st Jim Lee art signed!

Post 305 IP   flag post
601455 1374 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?