Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

Cool books that hit my grading desk.........9890

CBCS President sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
What are the "tells" on that big apple copy steve, what Marks or writing does it have that tell you...or is it just because you know the previous history of the copy or something?


1st off I have owned many Big Apple books, so it's kind of 2nd nature to me. The pencil mark and smell are the real giveaway.

Don't they smell like kerosene?


Yep!
Post 376 IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
What are the "tells" on that big apple copy steve, what Marks or writing does it have that tell you...or is it just because you know the previous history of the copy or something?


1st off I have owned many Big Apple books, so it's kind of 2nd nature to me. The pencil mark and smell are the real giveaway.

Don't they smell like kerosene?


I'm thinking they must smell like apples.

Not in the slightest.
Post 377 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Had a friend who would often open books he was considering buying..if it did not have the right...smell, he wouldnt buy. He swore he could tell you what year a book was printed by how the interior smelled, but I was always a touch skeptical
Post 378 IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
That does sound a little farfetched. Of course if he is sniffing the first page, he can read the date at the bottom of the page.
Post 379 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
That does sound a little farfetched. Of course if he is sniffing the first page, he can read the date at the bottom of the page.
yeah that's what I thought to...but he was good with comics, no doubt...I just think he wasn't quite as good as he advertised
Post 380 IP   flag post


CBCS President sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Been getting in a lot of high grade Spidey's lately

Post 381 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Nice group of Marvels just hit my desk!




You always get the best stuff!

I bet everyday is like X-mas for you?

Well, if x-mas involved unwrapping other peoples presents and sending them to the owners...
Post 382 IP   flag post
CBCS President sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie Yep! The great thing about my gig is I never know what will be in the next box I get to grade.
Post 383 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Had a friend who would often open books he was considering buying..if it did not have the right...smell, he wouldnt buy. He swore he could tell you what year a book was printed by how the interior smelled, but I was always a touch skeptical


I don't buy the smell-by-year business, but anytime I'm considering a significant purchase (in person, of course) I always smell the book. Mostly for any trace of mold or mildew or anything else that seems out of place, but also because I just love the scent of old newsprint.
Post 384 IP   flag post
CBCS President sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Super tough to find in this kind of shape!


Post 385 IP   flag post
283442 385 10
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.
destitute