Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies Television

Spider-Man SONY cuts ties with Marvel9873

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Overreaction. Their current deal expired because Sony didn't want to renew the same terms. Nothing more; nothing less.

Not sure why Sony wouldn't want to renew terms though, when Marvel does all the work, and Sony gets basically all of the profits. They'll likely reach a new agreement. With no Spider-Man in Phase 4 it's not a pressing issue for Kevin Feige.

Otherwise, Sony is overestimating the value of just the IP while also alienating the largest franchise audience in the world. It would be a huge mistake in removing Spider-Man from the MCU regardless of terms offered by Marvel Studios.

Marvel doesn't do all the work. Marvel doesn't do hardly any work on the Spider-Man movies and puts no money into it.

Sony has a licensing agreement with Marvel. For the Spider-Man related universe. That licensing agreement says Marvel gets 5% of the "first dollars". The gross. And they get all the revenue from any merchandising (toys, happy meals, etc)

5% of the gross is a much larger percentage of the profits. And Disney/Marvel currently puts NO MONEY into the Spider-Man pictures. So Marvel has - so far - collected 55 million on the last Spider-Man movie with no financial investment.

It is Disney/Marvel that wants and needs Spider-Man as part of the MCU. It's is Disney/Marvel that wants to CHANGE the current licensing agreement to a 50/50 split on production costs of the movies and have a 50/50 split of revenue.

The problem for Disney/Marvel is that Sony doesn't have to agree to these changes. The licensing agreement requires they do movies regularly, which they have.

While I agree with most of what you're saying, Disney does invest creative time and effort into these Spidey movies. Maybe it's not cold hard $$$ but Kevin Feige specifically spends alot of time and effort from a creative standpoint and as they say time is money.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector gotham44 private msg quote post Address this user
I think its great the Sony isnt giving in to Disney. Hes not even in any Phase 4 films and Garfield isnt going to get any younger. PLUS, a Spidey-Venom movie would be awesome
Post 27 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Marvel doesn't do all the work. Marvel doesn't do hardly any work on the Spider-Man movies and puts no money into it.

Sony has a licensing agreement with Marvel. For the Spider-Man related universe. That licensing agreement says Marvel gets 5% of the "first dollars". The gross. And they get all the revenue from any merchandising (toys, happy meals, etc)

5% of the gross is a much larger percentage of the profits. And Disney/Marvel currently puts NO MONEY into the Spider-Man pictures. So Marvel has - so far - collected 55 million on the last Spider-Man movie with no financial investment.

It is Disney/Marvel that wants and needs Spider-Man as part of the MCU. It's is Disney/Marvel that wants to CHANGE the current licensing agreement to a 50/50 split on production costs of the movies and have a 50/50 split of revenue.

The problem for Disney/Marvel is that Sony doesn't have to agree to these changes. The licensing agreement requires they do movies regularly, which they have.

That is flat-out wrong.

Marvel Studios also does not "need" Spider-Man. Not at all.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Negotiation tactic, something will come out of this.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Tom Holland unfollowd Sony... Oh snap!
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Gamecube2482 private msg quote post Address this user
I feel a lot of people go see the MCU movies in theaters because they have so much time invested in it and want to see what happens next. If far from home wasn't part of the MCU I wonder if it would have done as good financially. I think that for a lot of people seeing a movie that's part of something like the MCU gives them the extra push to see it in theaters. I had a lot of friends that would have probably waited for the blu ray release of Captain Marvel but they wanted to see it before Endgame, and I know a few people that went to see Spidey 2 because it was the end of phase 3, where they might not have if it wasn't part of the MCU. Sony should understand that by having Spidey in the MCU more people will see it. I know multiple people that don't go see movies a lot but they go see all the MCU movies and wait on the others. I have a feeling they will work something out. Sony just rejected the first offer hoping to see what Disney comes down to.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Tom Holland unfollowd Sony... Oh snap!
That'll show 'em!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Sony can not make good Spiderman movies any more for what ever what it worth, The first 2 where great, the other Spiderman movies from Sony where just bad, it is much better in the MCU where he should stay.
I feel bad for Tom Holland now in Sony.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Sony was in a bind when they made the deal with Marvel to share Spider-man. They had just been hacked and everything was uncertain going forward. I'm tired of it being a spin-off Iron Man movie, so I think Sony will do fine without Marvel exercising their influence.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I have zero problems with how Sony is handling this.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Never except the first offer.

Post 36 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
accept
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Stan Lee's daughter came out throwing at Disney and Marvel today.

"...Marvel and Disney seeking total control of my father’s creations must be checked and balanced by others who, while still seeking to profit, have genuine respect for Stan Lee and his legacy.”

She went on to say: “Whether it’s Sony or someone else’s, the continued evolution of Stan’s characters and his legacy deserves multiple points of view.”

The 69-year-old ended her statements with a scathing attack directed at Disney and Marvel. “When my father died, no one from Marvel or Disney reached out to me. From day one, they have commoditised my father’s work and never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency. In the end, no one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney’s executives.”...

clickable text
Post 38 IP   flag post
@Towmater I read that earlier today. Stan's daughter is wrong in saying Disney and Marvel didn't pay respect to Stan's legacy. Quite the opposite actually. It's on the blu ray's, his cameos in every film is direct acknowledgment of his contribution to the artform. She's not the most credible person by many people's account including Stan and Joanie Lee.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC I've no idea. Although, certain corporations may be seen to have issues with creators.
Post 40 IP   flag post
....Several insiders said Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman was willing to give up as much as roughly 25% of the franchise and welcome Disney in as a co-financing partner in exchange for Feige’s services.

clickable text
Post 41 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC
I agree. Time is money. Is Kevin's time worth one half a billion?

Regardless of what happens between Sony and Marvel, two more Spider-Man movies are planned and Kraven has been announced as the villain in the next movie. I don't recall any Spidey/Kraven battles in the comics that involved say the GOTG, Captain Marvel or Nick Fury. The actors and director are on board for the next movie. So it seems like the movie should be fine.

@theCapraAegagrus
One guy from Marvel - no matter how talented - constitutes "hardly any work". Marvel doesn't have to pay anyone, they don't have to finance anything with the current arrangement. That is "hardly any work".

Marvel behaves like they need Spider-Man. But otherwise I agree. Marvel's done really well with the MCU. And Sony has done really well with Spider-man properties. For all the critic's complaints, Venom did over 850 million on a 100 million budget. That's the same multiple as Far From Home. That's a little better than Captain Marvel. That's a way, WAY better multiple than GOTG.

This is a business after all. Sony is entitled to make business decisions.
Post 42 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@theCapraAegagrus
One guy from Marvel - no matter how talented - constitutes "hardly any work". Marvel doesn't have to pay anyone, they don't have to finance anything with the current arrangement. That is "hardly any work".

Marvel behaves like they need Spider-Man. But otherwise I agree. Marvel's done really well with the MCU. And Sony has done really well with Spider-man properties. For all the critic's complaints, Venom did over 850 million on a 100 million budget. That's the same multiple as Far From Home. That's a little better than Captain Marvel. That's a way, WAY better multiple than GOTG.

This is a business after all. Sony is entitled to make business decisions.

Since when is "financial investment" the only variable in the equation of 'work'...?

Money ≠ everything. Marvel Studios performed the majority of creative work on the Spider-Man movies and characters. The art/product means more than investment/profit to the Spider-Man character.

Marvel also is not behaving like they "need" Spider-Man. They're asking for a bigger pieces of the pie. They had 5% - and now they want 30%. That doesn't sound desperate to me - at all.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
https://cosmicbook.news/spider-man-deal-7-movies-avengers

New Spider-Man Deal possibly underway with Disney, Marvel and Sony
According to the new deal Disney wants:

- A 6-picture deal with Tom Holland, with an option for a 7th.

- There are three more Spider-Man films after Spider-Man 3, which will be a new trilogy.

- The second trilogy will focus on Peter Parker's college years including plans for Peter to meet up and team up with Firestar and Ice Man of the X-Men (based in part on the old Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends cartoon).

- The other three movies are two Avengers films in which Spider-Man will have a larger role and become friends with Johnny Storm (Human Torch from the Fantastic Four).

- Marvel Studios will helm and co-finance all Spider-Man related movies for 30% of the full profits (Disney previously wanted 50%, but Sony said no, which led to the talks falling apart).

- Sony would distribute, but Disney will acquire exclusive digital and online rights for Disney Plus and affiliated TV networks.

- Marvel Studios will helm and co-finance SpiderVerse live-action spinoffs under the same terms.

- Venom will relocate into the MCU.

- Sony will be given permission for TV live-action programs based on SpiderVerse properties (Sony only has film rights to Spider-Man, but needs permission from Disney for TV rights)

- Disney wants the deal to be done before Saturday's Marvel panel at D23 Expo.

- Spider-Man is also said to be a part of a D23 Expo panel.

Additional details:
- It's said Tom Holland wants to stay with the MCU (it's been reported both Holland and Zendaya unfollowed Sony on Instagram).

- If Sony was purchased by another company (like Apple), the Spider-Man film rights would go back to Disney, which Disney would love.

- Disney wants to take out Netflix and dominate the streaming world, making their shareholders happy, which includes Marvel Studios now working with Marvel TV (former Marvel TV Netflix characters are rumored to be coming to FX).
Post 44 IP   flag post
it looks like a deal has been struck if you interpret Tom Hollands post this way.

Post 45 IP   flag post
this could mean anything but the timing of his post is suspect...
Post 46 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I agree. 2-3 days ago Tom Holland and Zendaya unfollowed Sony lol
Post 47 IP   flag post
600872 47 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?