Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help NeededQuestions

Spine color breaks and 9.8's986

Collector jmh722 private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen a couple of 9.8 books now that have small noticeable color breaks along the spine. Is there any criteria for when this is permissible?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I would say never IMO. Are these raw graded by a LCS? CGC or CBCS graded? Or heaven forbid PGX?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I have never seen a 9.8 with a color break. I don't think there is a grading standard that permits that.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was actually a CBCS book..I know, incredible right?
I was doing some research online and I found a thread from the other grading company's forum discussing when it is theoretically possible. I can post a link for anybody interested.

The reason I ask is because I just scored a raw Batman Adventures 12, which the seller swears up and down is a 9.8 candidate, even though it has two spine color breaks. They aren't egregious, but they are noticeable. This person allows returns, but I wanted to get some opinions before doing so.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Get the return. If you submit that for grading you will be SOL. Any reputable seller will acknowledge that color breaks will prevent a 9.8 grade.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
@jmh722 I've seen them too. If it is literally the only problem the book has I can see a 9.8, but that doesn't change any aesthetic hits it may cause.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@MR_Sigs: I'm less concerned about aesthetics and more concerned about the ultimate grade, but thanks for backing me up that you've seen this too.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Unless you overpaid greatly there's no reason to return it. BA12s are worth their weight in gold in any condition.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I can see how, if it literally would have been a 10.0 and the ticks are the only defects it could score a 9.8.

Can you post pictures?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Gwenlocke_Variant private msg quote post Address this user
you talking about the cgc sdcc holofoils huh?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few books from.CGC and CBCS that are 9.8 with color breaks. Generally, very tiny breaks that the eye isn't drawn towards, but they're there.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I can see how, if it literally would have been a 10.0 and the ticks are the only defects it could score a 9.8.

Can you post pictures?

Agreed. I would need to see pics too. I have a hard time envisioning a book that is so otherwise perfect that a color break would only drop it to a 9.8. My experience is that it would be 9.6 on the very best day.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@jmh722 how much did you pay for the BA12?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
There are many 9.8s with color breaks. It depends on the size of the break, the "general effect" of the break, and what the rest of the book looks like. Is it a break that is barely visible under normal conditions? Is it hidden in a "busy" part of the artwork? Is it 1/16"? 1/8"? 1/4"?

A 9.8 is not a perfect book. A color break doesn't mean the book is overgraded.

Of course, there are also plenty of books that are substantially better that are also sitting in 9.8 slabs.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
And, as always, we should all be incredibly thankful that we're to the point where discussing the difference in 1/16"s of an inch is a concern.

It's a far, far cry from the bad old days, where people looked at you like you were insane if you rejected books graded (and priced) at "mint condition" with multiple color breaks, thumb dents, even a CB crease or two.

Third party grading has been wonderful for those of us who care.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Forgeinbatman79 private msg quote post Address this user

Here is a grade Batman I got back from IND Con here in Indianapolis IN. I have enclosed grade notes which showed spine stress and breaks. I revived a grade of 9.8
Batman #608

DC12 2002
Variant:
Pedigree:

Certified
White

Signees:

Notes:
tiny spine wear & stress breaks color
Post 16 IP   flag post
@DarthLego: Way too much because I was under the impression that it was a truly flawless copy. Nearly $900. I think I'm opting for a return on it.
@DocBrown: I agree. As far as measuring a break, is it done length-wise?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Cmonman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh722
It was actually a CBCS book..I know, incredible right?
I was doing some research online and I found a thread from the other grading company's forum discussing when it is theoretically possible. I can post a link for anybody interested.

The reason I ask is because I just scored a raw Batman Adventures 12, which the seller swears up and down is a 9.8 candidate, even though it has two spine color breaks. They aren't egregious, but they are noticeable. This person allows returns, but I wanted to get some opinions before doing so.

If he swears up and down its a 9.8 then why didn't he have it slabbed? Seems like it's a $2000 book in 9.8.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I have had a lot of 9.8 "candidates" come back as 9.6's or 9.4's. That's one of the reasons why we pay to have them slabbed in the first place - encapsulation for protection and the certified grade.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
I just got back a huge shipment from both CBCS and CGC and still a newbie with grading but seem to be each spine crease would equal -.2 of a grade if in case the other is otherwise gem mint 10.0
Post 20 IP   flag post
@jmh722 Well, if it's a 9.6 then you over paid. However, if you get it graded and it grades out anything 9.2 or higher you've made money.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector manwithoutfear private msg quote post Address this user
I don't see why a single tick would not be allowed a 9.8. 9.8s imply flaws also and not a pristine copy. I think CGC grading standards have been ultraconservative and in reality a lot of 9.8s are probably higher. I haven't submitted CBCS comics to say but I have cracked out one of their books and I am pleased with their grading.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Ram_Jam private msg quote post Address this user
The Overstreet Grading Guide postulates that a 9.8 has the minimum of one small problem and a maximum of two small problems (page 127 of the second edition)
Post 23 IP   flag post
597868 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?