Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

PAGE TEARS/CUTS983

Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
I was looking at Fantastic Four Annual 3 (1965) and one of the pages had a small triangle cut out in the edging. How bad does something like this affect the grading/value? The shop was charging $75 for the book. I was interested in purchasing the book till I saw this.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SidBoggle private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like 'Marvel chipping'. Don't know what that does to book grades but it is a known 'thing'...
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidBoggle
Sounds like 'Marvel chipping'. Don't know what that does to book grades but it is a known 'thing'...
Is that a common thing for silver aged books? I was interested in buying the book up until seeing that. I started looking at Overstreet's value for what the store wanted and thought with that cut they're asking for too much.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SidBoggle private msg quote post Address this user
I remember reading about it many years ago. At this distance I can't recall the details, but it's something that appears on some Silver Age Marvel books.

You'd need expert advice, but it occurs to me that since it's a known phenomenon, some allowance might be made during grading. That's just my PoV, though.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Cmonman private msg quote post Address this user
Marvel chipping is usually just the cover(s).
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
I think it really depends on if it's a production error or a flaw inflicted on the book. Interior damage doesn't usually impact grade as harshly as cover unless art is impacted.

I picked up a copy of Mad #2 this week and it has a wrap that has an obvious printers defect with a sizeable piece missing from the margin. It looks like someone used crazy scissors to cut off a portion but each side of the same wrap has the defect and there's no way someone could have cut it the same at a later date. The folio was produced that way.

I was happy the store downgraded it substantially and it was a great deal. In a Mylar it'll look very nice.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
If the cover is fine I wouldn't care in the slightest about a small corner missing from an interior page. Especially if it is limited to just the white area, and none of the interior art is impacted.

However, it may be that this one page was folded over at the corner and it was subsequently stored like that, with a sharp (small) fold on an interior page. That happens a lot. And if it later became brittle and broke off on the weakened fold, that might indicate that the overall page quality is low. Sort of a canary in a coal mine for brittleness. So I would look very closely at the page suppleness and color for grading, and then pay the most attention to the cover aesthetics, binding and staple quality, and sharpness + gloss for collecting and displaying.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
If the cover is fine I wouldn't care in the slightest about a small corner missing from an interior page. Especially if it is limited to just the white area, and none of the interior art is impacted.

However, it may be that this one page was folded over at the corner and it was subsequently stored like that, with a sharp (small) fold on an interior page. That happens a lot. And if it later became brittle and broke off on the weakened fold, that might indicate that the overall page quality is low. Sort of a canary in a coal mine for brittleness. So I would look very closely at the page suppleness and color for grading, and then pay the most attention to the cover aesthetics, binding and staple quality, and sharpness + gloss for collecting and displaying.
It wasn't a corner that was cut. One of the pages had like small triangle cut that was a 1/10th of inch into the edging.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
If you can get photos of the book we may be able to tell you if the price is reasonable or not.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Hmm ... not sure what strict grading would be, then. Very strange, to cut out a triangle like that. Anyway, I was just giving my opinion, i.e., what matters to me. The interior with a one-off defect like that really wouldn't hurt the value to me personally - maybe a grade lower. Sounds like a good way to get a really good book at a discount.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I think if the book grades at 7.5 or higher, that's a fair price. If it's less than a 7.5 I think it's overpriced. Without pictures it's hard to say, we don't know what the rest of the book's condition is besides the triangle cut.
Post 11 IP   flag post
600506 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?