Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPComics Modern Age

SDCC Mail Call!9774

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Just got my SDCC submission back! I didn't get a ton of sigs but quality over quantity! lol Some books could use a press but I can get that to that later.

I really love this cover since I remember it as a kid from the video game.

I needed to fill out my submission a little since I was an AW so I figured I'd throw in some Eternals books. I had two copies of issue #2 so I figure I'll sell one

Another in my collection of colored Authentix books. I really loved how Linsner's colors came out and the little Spider-Man sketch from Romita Jr was a nice surprise.

Censored for your protection! One of Tucci's show exclusives, limited to 20 copies (I love that the edition number is noted on the label). Man, I can't even break the 9.8 ceiling with a metal cover. lol

This was a reholder. Unfortunately, CBCS overlooked the note I put on my invoice. The signee's name was misspelled when it was initially graded and at the time I was told by customer service to resubmit for reholder to get it fixed (since it was submitted through a facilitator and wasn't my personal submission).

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Nice books. The Eternals 1 presents nicely. What do the notes say that made the grade take a hit down to a 7.5?
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Hcanes Looks like a press would help. Even as they are, I made out pretty well. I bought issues 1-19 as a lot for $20 shipped

- spine stress breaks color
- 2.5" diagonal bend-crease middle left back cover does not break color

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Hcanes Looks like a press would help. Even as they are, I made out pretty well. I bought issues 1-19 as a lot for $20 shipped

- spine stress breaks color
- 2.5" diagonal bend-crease middle left back cover does not break color

$20 for the lot. I'd agree that you made out pretty well.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Those Eternals #2, as well, look higher than 8.5 from a distance. From my non-data oriented memory - it seems these Eternals 70's issues are being graded harshly as of late by all companies.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 Here’s the notes for the Eternals #2

19-28937FB-003
light edge & corner wear
light rust stain back cover spine
spine stress & bends

19-28937FB-003
Off-White/White Pages
very small hole middle top back cover in "A" of "Landings"
spine stress barely breaks color
light dirt & bends to cover
1" scratch bottom left back cover breaks color

Looking at the notes I’m a little surprised the second copy got an 8.5. My guess is the rust stain is what hit the first copy the hardest. Plus most of the main issues on both books seem to affect the back cover which would explain why they present well.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector smeninc private msg quote post Address this user
How do you make such great scans?
Post 7 IP   flag post
@smeninc It’s basically just finding a scanner big enough to fit a slab and making sure it uses the older CCD scanning technology as opposed to the newer CIS tech. Basically CCD scanners retain their focus for a longer distance which is good for slabs where the book itself is separated from the scanning glass.

I used to use the scanner at my library until they replaced it with a newer CIS model. On the recommendation of other board members, I picked up a used HP Scanjet 8200. It’s an older scanner so it isn’t natively supported by Windows 10 so I had to buy the VueScan app to get it to work. The default settings produced a really gray-looking image so it required some fiddling with the black and white levels. I also scan at a high dpi then reduce the image size for web use.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector smeninc private msg quote post Address this user
Good to know. I tried a recently bought scanner and it just didn't come out right.

I was also worried about the bright scanning light affect the grading as well.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The type of scanner makes a huge difference. Here’s the same book I scanned at my library with the same settings before and after they changed the scanner

Also, don’t worry about the scanner light harming the book. If you were to shine the light for an extremely lonng duration then it might hurt the book but an occasional scan won’t hurt it
Post 10 IP   flag post
600729 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?