Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

Added staples?977

Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
No not a youngster but it's probably that I only seek out high grade books.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Still cannot shrink the photo size down. I even took the phone to T mobile and they could not do it either. If anyone has an LG G4 phone and know how to adjust the photo size, I could use some advice. Thanks.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector adgbiking private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys! Sorry it took me forever to reply. Anyways the two books in question are a ASM #19 and Avengers #57. Both books look to have had the original staples completely missing. Im assuming either they were removed or something and new ones have been put back in. The ASM #19 now has three staples. They are rusty/old looking and look to have been added in by a amateur. The Avengers #57 has 2 staples total and they are shinny and new. Again this is a amateur job. I will snap some pictures for you all. Anyways so is it true that the addition of non-manufacture amateur staples will not be marked as restoration and will just be considered defects in the overall grade? These books are 2.0-3.5 range im guessing so they are low grade books but still cool key issues. I got them for next to nothing and figure its worth slabbing them for protection purposes. Anyways thanks!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Cmonman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Still cannot shrink the photo size down. I even took the phone to T mobile and they could not do it either. If anyone has an LG G4 phone and know how to adjust the photo size, I could use some advice. Thanks.

Can you email it to yourself and work on it with a PC/laptop/tablet?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Cmonman private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys! Sorry it took me forever to reply. Anyways the two books in question are a ASM #19 and Avengers #57. Both books look to have had the original staples completely missing. Im assuming either they were removed or something and new ones have been put back in. The ASM #19 now has three staples. They are rusty/old looking and look to have been added in by a amateur. The Avengers #57 has 2 staples total and they are shinny and new. Again this is a amateur job. I will snap some pictures for you all. Anyways so is it true that the addition of non-manufacture amateur staples will not be marked as restoration and will just be considered defects in the overall grade?

In your case I don't think so, especially if it's amateur work. For it to be classified as unrestored (no purple label) it needs to be like the Wings book above, as it has its original two staples. The difference with yours is whether you'd get a Restored label or a Conserved label, but either way you get purple on your label. (this is CGC of courze. CBCS doesn't have colored labels for this). I think to get a Conserved label vintage staples must be used, so it seems like you'd get Restored.

These books are 2.0-3.5 range im guessing so they are low grade books but still cool key issues. I got them for next to nothing and figure its worth slabbing them for protection purposes. Anyways thanks!

Well if it's only for protection I'd recommend a 2 mil Mylar and a Fullback instead.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmonman
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgbiking
These books are 2.0-3.5 range im guessing so they are low grade books but still cool key issues. I got them for next to nothing and figure its worth slabbing them for protection purposes. Anyways thanks!

Well if it's only for protection I'd recommend a 2 mil Mylar and a Fullback instead.

+1!!
Post 31 IP   flag post
@Cmonman, I might have to send the photos to my PC then send pictures from there. That kind of sucks being I am on this sight always with my phone when I have free time.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Davescomicbox private msg quote post Address this user
I cannot speak for CBCS but on CGC's website under restoration guidelines it says that new staple holes created or non comic staples used counts as poor quality restoration. I take that to mean extra staples count as restoration since the additional staples would be creating new staple holes.
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips I'd search in the app store for something along the lines of "image resize.". There are many free appa that should be able to do it. I don't really have any suggestions since I'm on iphone but I had to download an app to do the same thing
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector InfiniteTrouble private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescomicbox
I cannot speak for CBCS but on CGC's website under restoration guidelines it says that new staple holes created or non comic staples used counts as poor quality restoration. I take that to mean extra staples count as restoration since the additional staples would be creating new staple holes.

This is a little confusing, so here's the deal. If a kid in 1964 took a stapler and added some staples to the cover they are treated like tape and will not get a Purple label. Here's an example.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=38793878

Blue label.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I will have to look for an app like that. I have a lot of books that I have been wanting to share with everyone. Thanks for the idea.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Comic_FAQ private msg quote post Address this user
If you use Tiny Pic, which is free, you can upload any size picture you want and it also has an option to resize your picture as small as 100 X 75 up to 1024 X 768.

http://tinypic.com
Post 37 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
What Cmonman said. My earlier response of extra staples being treated like tape (therefor not restored or conserved) was based on their being EXTRA staples. If someone had removed the original staples and put in replacements, that is going to result in a conserved grade/notation.

Not to stir up any controversy over grading standards, but I would not send such books in for professional grading and encapsulation. In the raw world, the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is as close to the "final word" as there is. Overstreet allows books to have staples replaced with vintage staples. So raw, you don't have to consider your books "restored" or "conserved". If you ever to sell them you should note the replaced staples of course. But sent into grading companies these would be labeled as conserved. Which is just the kinder word for certain types of restoration.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteTrouble
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescomicbox

This is a little confusing, so here's the deal. If a kid in 1964 took a stapler and added some staples to the cover they are treated like tape and will not get a Purple label. Here's an example.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=38793878

Blue label.

It is confusing. Trying to clarify, what CGC is saying is that new staple holes were created by an amateur reinserting new staples and making additional holes in the process. Which is fairly easy to do if you haven't given any thought to how to keep all the interior wraps lined up. The staple being reinserted will tilt, slide and move about, creating new staple holes in the interior wraps. OR using non comic book staples as replacements for the original staples.

As the example above shows. Taking a stapler to the a comic and pounding in extra staples gets treated like tape. A defect. A fairly big defect. But not restoration.
Post 39 IP   flag post
596795 39 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?