Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

Added staples?977

Collector adgbiking private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Guys,

I have a few low grade key issues that I plan on getting graded. My question is how does CBCS grade books with added staples/amateur staple job. Do they just note this on the label or is there some sort of restored label? Also is a guy just better off removing the staples before he send the book in?
I tried looking around the current threads but I could find what Im looking for.

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
They do look for these things. There are two classifications, conservation and restoration.

Replacing staples would fall under restoration and would fall towards the end of the restoration scale which is: light, slight/moderate, moderate, moderate/extensive, and extensive.

What they will do is list all restoration detected on the label itself.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Added staples - fact will be noter OB The label
Post 3 IP   flag post
Bloody autocorrect - Should read "on"
Post 4 IP   flag post
Gotcha, thanks guys!
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Also the restoration is noted on the regular blue label, they don't do a different color like CGC.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
They do look for these things. There are two classifications, conservation and restoration.

Replacing staples would fall under restoration and would fall towards the end of the restoration scale which is: light, slight/moderate, moderate, moderate/extensive, and extensive.

What they will do is list all restoration detected on the label itself.

I don't think he's talking about replacing staples, I think he's talking about added staples, meaning the cover was (for example) detached and reattached . I read it as if the book now has four staples, and this wouldn't be considered resto or conservation.

And if you could give me a link to the info you posted above that would be great. CGC considers some staple replacement as Conservation and I thought CBCS did too. I would like to compare CBCS' policies to CGC's.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
If you are referring to a book with 4 staples instead of 2 and this was done at the printing facility, this was addressed in another thread and would not impact grades of 9.6 and below.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN_2199
If you are referring to a book with 4 staples instead of 2 and this was done at the printing facility, this was addressed in another thread and would not impact grades of 9.6 and below.

He said it was an amateur job on some low grade keys so I assume it's not a printing defect on a Modern.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I think he is saying that staples were missing and someone replaced them. Would he be better off removing those staples or leaving them in before submitting them to CBCS.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I think he is saying that staples were missing and someone replaced them. Would he be better off removing those staples or leaving them in before submitting them to CBCS.

The staples were missing to begin with? I don't know, I wish the OP would come back lol. When he talked about removing the staples I did assume he meant extra non-manufacturing staples. I don't think he would send in a book with no staples If the staples are there for no good reason and aren't holding the cover on, I'd remove them. YMMV
Post 11 IP   flag post
I don't know. I have an Avengers #19 that has one original staple and is missing the other staple but it looks like it was printed with only 1 staple. I believe that I would be better off not putting an un-original staple in it and leaving it without one if I was going to submit it to CBCS. So in adbebikings case, would it be better to remove the 2 non original staples or leave them in. I am assuming there are only 2 staples in rhe book. I wonder which one would be a more favorable option for a key book to resell.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips is your copy missing the staple holes at the missing staple?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
I don't know. I have an Avengers #19 that has one original staple and is missing the other staple but it looks like it was printed with only 1 staple. I believe that I would be better off not putting an un-original staple in it and leaving it without one if I was going to submit it to CBCS.

Oh yes, of course. If it wasn't manufactured with two staples it should be left as is. Pretty sure if would be noted but not downgraded for. Added staples, which are much more common, would be downgraded for (but not counted as restoration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Green ships
So in adbebikings case, would it be better to remove the 2 non original staples or leave them in. I am assuming there are only 2 staples in rhe book. I wonder which one would be a more favorable option for a key book to resell.

I am assuming the comic has 2 original staples and at least one extra non-manufacturing staple. They way the OP worded it it seems like if it only had 2 staples total he wouldn't even have noticed anything (unless it a total hack job). I'd also say that 2 staples are better than none.

Why do you guys think that the 2 original staples were replaced with others? I'm not reading that in the OP.
Post 14 IP   flag post
http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=36874109

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=38793878
Post 15 IP   flag post
This is how added staples is shown on the label

Post 16 IP   flag post
@DarthLego Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@BrianGreensnips is your copy missing the staple holes at the missing staple?
My book never had the staple holes where the bottom staple is missing.I see that the Overstreet grading guide considers this to not be a defect.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@CCD I am assuming that the reason the staples were added is because the original ones were missing. I can't imagine that someone would add additional staples above and beyond the 2 that there should be.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I am trying to add photos from my phone of the Avenger book but it states that the file is too big. I was only trying to send 1 photo. Any suggestions out there?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Resize or crop the photo using a photoshop app. It has to be under 3.5 MB.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Thanks. I will try that.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Cmonman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@CCD I am assuming that the reason the staples were added is because the original ones were missing. I can't imagine that someone would add additional staples above and beyond the 2 that there should be.

Kids used to staple the cover back on if it became detached. That usually gave the book four staples.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I have never seen this practice.
Post 23 IP   flag post
You must be a youngster

Perfect example, this comic has 5 staples...

Post 24 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Added staples - Not manufactured with extra staples - will always get a notation of something along the lines of "additional staples, not manufactured". Added staples will not - by themselves - be considered restoration or conservation. By any grading company. Similar to tape. Not restoration. Just a defect considered in the final grade.
Post 25 IP   flag post
No not a youngster but it's probably that I only seek out high grade books.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Still cannot shrink the photo size down. I even took the phone to T mobile and they could not do it either. If anyone has an LG G4 phone and know how to adjust the photo size, I could use some advice. Thanks.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Hey guys! Sorry it took me forever to reply. Anyways the two books in question are a ASM #19 and Avengers #57. Both books look to have had the original staples completely missing. Im assuming either they were removed or something and new ones have been put back in. The ASM #19 now has three staples. They are rusty/old looking and look to have been added in by a amateur. The Avengers #57 has 2 staples total and they are shinny and new. Again this is a amateur job. I will snap some pictures for you all. Anyways so is it true that the addition of non-manufacture amateur staples will not be marked as restoration and will just be considered defects in the overall grade? These books are 2.0-3.5 range im guessing so they are low grade books but still cool key issues. I got them for next to nothing and figure its worth slabbing them for protection purposes. Anyways thanks!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Still cannot shrink the photo size down. I even took the phone to T mobile and they could not do it either. If anyone has an LG G4 phone and know how to adjust the photo size, I could use some advice. Thanks.

Can you email it to yourself and work on it with a PC/laptop/tablet?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Hey guys! Sorry it took me forever to reply. Anyways the two books in question are a ASM #19 and Avengers #57. Both books look to have had the original staples completely missing. Im assuming either they were removed or something and new ones have been put back in. The ASM #19 now has three staples. They are rusty/old looking and look to have been added in by a amateur. The Avengers #57 has 2 staples total and they are shinny and new. Again this is a amateur job. I will snap some pictures for you all. Anyways so is it true that the addition of non-manufacture amateur staples will not be marked as restoration and will just be considered defects in the overall grade?

In your case I don't think so, especially if it's amateur work. For it to be classified as unrestored (no purple label) it needs to be like the Wings book above, as it has its original two staples. The difference with yours is whether you'd get a Restored label or a Conserved label, but either way you get purple on your label. (this is CGC of courze. CBCS doesn't have colored labels for this). I think to get a Conserved label vintage staples must be used, so it seems like you'd get Restored.

These books are 2.0-3.5 range im guessing so they are low grade books but still cool key issues. I got them for next to nothing and figure its worth slabbing them for protection purposes. Anyways thanks!

Well if it's only for protection I'd recommend a 2 mil Mylar and a Fullback instead.
Post 30 IP   flag post
596791 39 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?