Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

An interesting Comic Book Thread!! (Hopefully)9768

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 There’s at least two versions of both the standard and prestige formats

Post 26 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry for reviving this thread every couple of weeks, but I think it's worthy.
Here is some interesting data I pulled out of GoCollect sales data base:

Hulk 181 in 8.0 was selling for $1,800 in 2014 and 5 years later is selling for $3,700, pretty much an exact double in price over the five years.

Hulk 180 in 8.0 was selling for $400 in 2014 and 5 years later is selling for $800. Seems that #180 pricing walks in lock-step with #181. I was expecting to find #180 growing at a faster rate.

Looking at Modern comics (since 1985) in 9.2 grade:

For books printed between 1985-1999, the list of 200 most commonly purchased back issues contains 22 books selling for $100 or more in CGC slabbed grade 9.2

For books printed from 2000 to today, the list of 200 most commonly purchased back issues contains 27 books selling for $100 or more in CGC slabbed grade 9.2

That's almost a 25% increase in books that command over $100. I believe books from the Walking Dead run may account for the entire difference.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Ever wonder about the power of direct sunlight? I have a cheap printer/scanner from Walmart. I have it sitting by a window and the midday sun shines directly unto the printer. This is a scan of a comic with the scanner cover closed and the sun shining directly unto it.

That is cropped. In the preview window, there were streaks of color so it looked like the comic was melting from the bottom. It was kind of a cool effect, now that I know what makes it. But at the time, I thought my scanner had gone to hell. But I thought about it for a second. The printer didn't feel warm to the touch. The window air conditioner is in the same window. So, without doing anything else, I closed the shade on the window and this was the result.

I hadn't touched the comic at all. I didn't lift the scanner cover at all. All I did was pull the shade down. These scans are about 1-2 minutes apart. If I remember, I'll get a full scan of this same book with the sun hitting the cover so you can see the "melting" effect that I mentioned. Hopefully it will be sunny tomorrow.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Yesterday was cloudy, so I didn't scan the comic. Today it's nice and bright out. I think I might be a bit earlier scanning today. The amount of "bleeding" doesn't seem as bad as the other day. However, here is what it looks like. Again, the scanner cover is closed and the sun is hitting the cover. It is actually hitting a little more than half the cover.

Post 29 IP   flag post
In my opinion, one of the most interesting, and basically underrated, comic book artist of all times is Russ Heath. Born in 1926, Mr. Heath worked on comics from high school through most of his life. He passed away in 2018, but his last published piece was a one page pin-up for Glamourpuss #19 (May, 2011)

Heath is remembered mostly for his Western and War comic art. But he did pieces for Playboy, Mad, Crazy and National Lampoon. Roy Lichtenstein ripped off two pieces of Heath's art.

But what I remember him most for is the Roman Soldier and Revolutionary War Solder toy ads. I sent away for the Roman Soldier set and was severely disappointed that they looked NOTHING like the art!!!! Heath did such an amazing job on those two ads that I am still floored when I look at them.

Heath stated that he did not see any of the toy soldiers until after he had done the ads. He got paid a total of $50 for those two ads that were used for years!!!! Somewhere, I have a comic where he signed the ad page. I got it from a friend a number of years ago and I plan on having it verified one of these days.

Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@BigRedOne1944 There’s at least two versions of both the standard and prestige formats

had no idea these are worth money now ..

Still got mine .. but it's, er .. well read
Post 31 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O - I totally agree! Heath is an often overlooked master craftsman whose attention to detail really stands out in my mind. He also was one of the few who produced numerous of those stunning and always memorable grey tone covers.
Post 32 IP   flag post
600771 32 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?