Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Extremely disapointed...9759

I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Once again I see the failed logic you are trying to apply here, but the bottom line IS The books carry a 9.6 NM label. Not a 9.8 You simply can not use 9.8 pricing on your 9.6 books. Can he sell the 9.6 books for 9.8 prices? obviously not.

Just having some fun twisting logic.

But the reality is that if you put 5 raw 9.8's and 5 raw 9.6's on a table, all of us would have difficulty sorting them out...even the professional graders. So the difference in market value between the two is not really rational, its somewhat arbitrary, and I think DocWatson is saying why waste the money if he personally gets no additional satisfaction from owning a 9.8 vs 9.6.

I agree and on the rare occasion that I have recieved back a 9.8 on a pre-modern book, I have typically sold it immediately and replaced it with 9.4 or 9.6 if I wanted that book for my collection. The exception for me is modern books in large supply like Spawn 1 or New Avengers 11 where the somewhat arbitrary 9.8 label is really the only reason to own a slabbed copy, anything less I might as well own raw copies.

All of us?

I'm sure there are many of us who can distinguish between the two grades... as subtle as the differences may be.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
All of us?

I'm sure there are many of us who can distinguish between the two grades... as subtle as the differences may be.

Would be an interesting challenge. I'm sure someone on this forum has 5 9.8's and 5 9.6's that they could share images of with the grades hidden. Even with enlarged images I'm guessing that the subjectivity of the original graders alone would make it so that maybe 5% of us maximum would pick all 10 correctly.
Post 77 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
All of us?

Would be an interesting challenge. I'm sure someone on this forum has 5 9.8's and 5 9.6's that they could share images of with the grades hidden. Even with enlarged images I'm guessing that the subjectivity of the original graders alone would make it so that maybe 5% of us maximum would pick all 10 correctly.

Accurate Grading can only be done with book in hand. My point is that once you subject a book to TPGing it becomes a commodity that's value is governed by the label assigned to it.
Post 78 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller First you state... On the table.
Quote:
But the reality is that if you put 5 raw 9.8's and 5 raw 9.6's on a table, all of us would have difficulty sorting them out..

@EbaySeller Now you are stating... Online images.

Quote:
I'm sure someone on this forum has 5 9.8's and 5 9.6's that they could share images of with the grades hidden.

This is about physically inspecting books and distinguishing a 9.6 from a 9.8

I'll take on that challenge any day.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Does that mean that you've always recieved the grade you expected on 9.8's and 9.6's? If so, you win, no need for the challenge. If not, you lose...no need for the challenge. I'll take your word for it.
Post 80 IP   flag post

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Does that mean that you've always recieved the grade you expected on 9.8's and 9.6's? If so, you win, no need for the challenge. If not, you lose...no need for the challenge. I'll take your word for it.

The only times I have received unexpected grades was a few that I apparently Under graded like this one.

I had it pegged for a 9.6 NM+. I've had a few others come back with higher grades than I was expecting

Here are the last three I recently subbed. All three met the expected grade, So Im doing pretty well.

Post 81 IP   flag post
Quote:

The highest grade I've received (and expected to receive) was a 9.6
WINNAH!

The lowest grade I've received (and expected to receive) was a 4.0
WINNAH!

And anything in between....
WINNAH!

Take my word for it.
Post 82 IP   flag post
You win! I am a flawed grader...in both directions, which is why I only sell professionally graded books on Ebay. I have never actually expected a 9.8 but have received a few. The nice thing about being a flawed grader is that once in a while it gives you an upside surprise that makes up for all the disappointments.

Post 83 IP   flag post
Quote:
You win! I am a flawed grader...in both directions, which is why I only sell professionally graded books on Ebay. I have never actually expected a 9.8 but have received a few. The nice thing about being a flawed grader is that once in a while it gives you an upside surprise that makes up for all the disappointments.

(1) I didn't win.
(2) You're not a flawed grader.
(3) Very nice looking Star-Lord.
(4) What grade did you personally give the Star-Lord?
Post 84 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
No one can grade with 100% consistency. I remember when I first stared sending in large submissions of 9.8 pre-screen books. A well respected dealer told me to include 2-3 9.2-9.4 books to “trick” the grader that the rest of the books were 9.8’s. It was the first and 15th book in each submission. He felt it worked for him.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Quote:
(4) What grade did you personally give the Star-Lord?

The Star-lord I bought on Ebay raw from a dealer who said they had purchased the inventory of a closed comic shop and found it in the back, bagged and boarded, seemingly never read. A 9.2 would have made it worth what I paid. I gave it to a presser in California who said 9.4 was a no-brainer and 9.6 was fairly likely. Came back 9.8, which surprised me given an obvious flaw on one of the corners. I sold it a few years ago when I was short on cash and replaced it with a slabbed 9.0.

Best grading surprise of my life was a Forever People 1 that I picked up for $60 at a convention, just in a box of regular comics. I knew it was nice but figured maybe 9.0 to 9.2, as I don't usually see all the flaws. Never cleaned or pressed, it also graded 9.8 and again was sold to get me through tax season a few years ago.

Both books were submitted using the ID# of one of CGC's high-volume dealers. Hate to say it but I have always wondered if I would have got the same grades submitting as a low-level civilian.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
No one can grade with 100% consistency. I remember when I first stared sending in large submissions of 9.8 pre-screen books. A well respected dealer told me to include 2-3 9.2-9.4 books to “trick” the grader that the rest of the books were 9.8’s. It was the first and 15th book in each submission. He felt it worked for him.

I grade all my books at a .3
Anything over that and i am always correct. because it was at least a .3
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf

I hope you are not selling any books
Post 88 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf

I hope you are not selling any books
nope. all for my PC
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodmer71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
If you resubmit them, I bet they come back with different grades again.

Honestly, that's what it comes down to... the grading is completely subjective. It really depends on who grades it, what kind of mood their in that day, whatever...

This was part of a 56-book submission. Overall, the grades were low across the board. Probably just means that the grader was having a particularly "off" or "strict" day.

I don't know what kind of shifts these graders run but, to be honest, if it's 8 or more hours in a row they are going to likely be looser on the grading by the end of the day. Perhaps you got late day grading the first time and early in the day grades the next?
Post 90 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonk
@etapi65 The grading process, as others have described it, involves multiple people grading each book.
Thought so, the idea a single grader in a poor mood could cost grades seemed far fetched. I wonder if cleaning/pressing could actually make some uncleanable flaws stand out more?

All Books are looked at and discussed by multiple graders.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
From a few discussion groups Im in, CBCS is actually more consistent and strict in their grading as well.

Not sure if thats a fact, but a few people have said that.
Post 92 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave
From a few discussion groups Im in, CBCS is actually more consistent and strict in their grading as well.

Not sure if thats a fact, but a few people have said that.

Toss moderns out the window and I’m with you.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer Instead of tossing the moderns out the window, how bout just gently placing them to the side, give my your address, and I will come by to pick them up I know, not the context with which you were referring, but couldn't pass it up.
Post 94 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Modern books are more strictly graded because they are, well, modern books.
Post 95 IP   flag post
601494 95 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?