CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Extremely disapointed...9759

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
I am coming from the angle of differences in value. One day the book is a 9.6 and worth $150 and the next a 9.8 and worth $1,000.00. In reality it’s not a simple .2 difference.

And it really is crazy. These are small time examples with my own books. I used to think I need 9.8s on everything. I have started thinking differently. Every one of these could be sitting in a 9.8 holder, but they are labelled as 9.6s:

Uncanny X-Men 142 paid $122 for a 9.6. Sells for average $264 in 9.8. Saved $142.

Uncanny X-Men 146 paid $33 for a 9.6. Sells for average $75 in 9.8. Saved $42.

Uncanny X-Men 147 paid $40 for a 9.6. Sells for average $74 in 9.8. Saved $34.

Uncanny X-Men 148 paid $35 for a 9.6. Sells for average $105 in 9.8. Saved $70.

In total, I paid $230 for four books in 9.6 that would have cost me $518 in 9.8. In my opinion, I have the exact same books and saved $288. The only difference is that I didn't pay an additional $288 for a stranger's opinion on whether or not one book was .2 better than another. I can now take my $288 and buy four more books.

Doc

I understanding your assumed reasoning here, that many 9.6 books could easily be a 9.8 on a given day, but by the same token many 9.6's at the lower end of the grade could easily be 9.4,s meaning you actually over paid for the book.

The other BIG difference you seem to be overlooking in your theory of how you saved $288 off the the 9.8 price? None of the books have a 9.8 label.

Until such time they are cracked, re-subbed and come back 9.8's, the books are worth $230, Not $518. That is also assuming they didn't all come back 9.4's in which case you lost value on having giving 9.6 prices for them. Yes grading is subjective, but this is simply failed logic in thinking you saved money off the 9.8 price, by buying 9.6 books, and nice looking books they are

PS: I also like buying nice 9.6 books
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
So... have a 9.8, had someone scribble on it , the grade got reduced. So what once was a pristine clean book , is now a not so highly grading book with scribble on the cover ..

This crazy (IMO) pursuit of cracking high grade books so someone famous can scribble on the cover is what will make clean covered 9.8s harder and harder to come by over time. ...

I agree. I would rather have a clean unaltered 9.6, than a 9.8 that has been defaced by writing
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
never caught on to the whole taking 9.6 and 9.8 vintage books to someone to scribble all over ...if the comic made it for 40-50 years in that nice of shape why take it on yourself to get it all scribbled up...flip side, newer books that hold little value or represent much of comic history, sure, have it ….by example passed on many older silver books signed by stan lee, but settled on a Spider Gwen 1 signed by him. If its a signature you are after it really doesn't change much if you have it on JIM 100 or Thor 343
Post 53 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town Agree 100% I see the Boston copy of Avengers 4 in 9.4 with Stan Lee sig on the cover and I cringe.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I have a Strange tales 107 signed by Lee on the cover but the book graded only a 3.5 and is a under copy
Post 55 IP   flag post

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Can you please stop using sound logic. It confuses me.

I know. It's crazy.

Joe is too smart for that trap

He ain't heavy. He's my brother.
Post 56 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Doc

I understanding your assumed reasoning here, that many 9.6 books could easily be a 9.8 on a given day, but by the same token many 9.6's at the lower end of the grade could easily be 9.4,s meaning you actually over paid for the book.

The other BIG difference you seem to be overlooking in your theory of how you saved $288 off the the 9.8 price? None of the books have a 9.8 label.

Until such time they are cracked, re-subbed and come back 9.8's, the books are worth $230, Not $518. That is also assuming they didn't all come back 9.4's in which case you lost value on having giving 9.6 prices for them. Yes grading is subjective, but this is simply failed logic in thinking you saved money off the 9.8 price, by buying 9.6 books, and nice looking books they are

PS: I also like buying nice 9.6 books

DrWatson: "Those flowers are beautiful."

BigRedOne1944: "Get off my damn lawn!"
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector bodmer71 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
I will share a recent experience.

I had an Astonishing Tales 25 graded a 9.4 by CGC, which I paid a little under GPA. I had it cracked at East Coast ComicCon hoping to get George Perez's signature.

I was third in line before they said that George would not be doing any more signatures that Friday because he had to go to a panel. I figured may as well have it regraded in a CBCS case for preservation at that point.

Just checked the graders notes and it came back a 9.0

Double whammy on not getting the signature and then the grade hit.

You win some you lose some. Oh well.

That sucks... Makes my soul hurt just hearing that story!
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector bodmer71 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
So... have a 9.8, had someone scribble on it , the grade got reduced. So what once was a pristine clean book , is now a not so highly grading book with scribble on the cover ..

This crazy (IMO) pursuit of cracking high grade books so someone famous can scribble on the cover is what will make clean covered 9.8s harder and harder to come by over time. ...

I agree. I would rather have a clean unaltered 9.6, than a 9.8 that has been defaced by writing

This is where you and I part company...

Like I said, some people like their cucumbers pickled... I don't really find any excitement in collecting blue label books... I'm much more interested in tracking a guest list for a con that I'm going to... hunting for books... then getting them signed and graded. You would probably find that pursuit silly.
Post 59 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
We're just talking about preferences...that's it...tomato tomawto.

- The Beatles are better than the Stones!!

- No they're not!!
Post 60 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@CFP_Comics

"Imagine how this line of thinking would be received if we applied it to pressing."

We are not that far apart, so I don't mean to unnecessarily debate. I mean for this to be a friendly discussion. I've learned a lot from your posts over the years & have much respect for you.

IMHO, "this line of thinking" needs to be applied to pressing. A professional presser's job is to get the book looking as nice as it can. But using a Baseball analogy, those of us that press books as a service are the pitchers, not the umpires.

The umpires are not always right in the eyes of players and fans. And umpires are not always the same in terms of balls and strikes, safe and out. BUT the game needs umpires all the same. You can't have a professional league without umpires.

You can't have independent, 3rd party grading without graders either. The pressing services' opinion on grade is meaningless - unless the book is being offered for sale raw and the buyer is interested in that opinion by the seller.

People need to understand pressing services are not grading services. And that CPR (Crack, Press, Resubmit) is not a guaranteed path to upgrades and wealth. Because ultimately, the only fair question of pressing services is "did all the pressable defects get removed" Grade? That's not up to the pressing service.

@TimBildhauser AND the OP

Yes, you are absolutely right. If someone values signature over grade, it makes perfect sense to crack a 9.8 to get graded.

I was approaching this from having been on the two discussion boards (here an and those other guys in Florida) for a long time and seen lots of posts along the line of "I cracked a 9.8 and got it signed, now it came back 9.6. IT'S NOT FAIR>>>>>>"

For those that find greater satisfaction in a signed book than any specific grade, they are acting entirely sensible getting high grade, slabbed books cracked and signed. The way I stated my post on this appears to judge - and I should not.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone else cringe every time they hand a comic over for signature? I had to resign myself to not worry about grades when I started going for signatures. I've had creators destroy a cover (had something on his hand that literally ate away the cover ink), bend the spine in half (held up the top half while resting hand on bottom), thumb through the comic putting a color breaking crease on the cover, spill food on them, etc... The older creators in particular I've had them thumb through a book with a quizzicle look until they found their art "Oh my gosh, I forgot I even did this can I show (insert name of their buddy two tables down) this!?". Wanders off with the comic and proceeds to have two dudes thumb through the comic. Same with original art. I get it slabbed, but have to not care if it comes back very very low.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Well if the 9.6's could be 9.4's, the over-payment would be like $50 total. But then by the same logic 9.8's could be 9.6's...in which case he would have over-paid by about $250. So not only did Doc Watson save $250 by buying 9.6 but also he saved $200 in potential over-payment risk if the 9.8's were not worthy. So now he's saved a total of $450 on $518 worth of 9.8 books! Very logical Dr. Watson.
Post 63 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Anyone else cringe every time they hand a comic over for signature? I had to resign myself to not worry about grades when I started going for signatures. I've had creators destroy a cover (had something on his hand that literally ate away the cover ink), bend the spine in half (held up the top half while resting hand on bottom), thumb through the comic putting a color breaking crease on the cover, spill food on them, etc... The older creators in particular I've had them thumb through a book with a quizzicle look until they found their art "Oh my gosh, I forgot I even did this can I show (insert name of their buddy two tables down) this!?". Wanders off with the comic and proceeds to have two dudes thumb through the comic. Same with original art. I get it slabbed, but have to not care if it comes back very very low.
. I honestly love those moments.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Had this happen with Michael Zeck….mentioned a book from the original Captain Marvel series, apparently when he was trying out for marvel. They had him ink the book. I asked him about it, and he denied working on the comic...so I showed him the book and he went thumbing through it, then memory returned and of course he had to show the guy at the next table because this was forgotten work...an off it went. Small show, no witness and never slabbed the book , oh well
Post 65 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodmer71
Quote:
Quote:

Like I said, some people like their cucumbers pickled... I don't really find any excitement in collecting blue label books... I'm much more interested in tracking a guest list for a con that I'm going to... hunting for books... then getting them signed and graded. You would probably find that pursuit silly.

No one should ever stand in the way of a man getting his cucumber pickled regardless of how silly the pursuit!

Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65

Joe Sinnott did this with my Nova 1 and Giant Size Fantastic Four 4 on two different occasions. He flipped through the book so gingerly as if he was handling the constitution. It was great seeing his reaction to the GSFF4 the first go around. I really appreciated the care he took with each person's book. Stand up guy.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

This is hilarious. I never knew Cap spoke like a 1940s gangster, you see.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I honestly love those moments.

I don't mind at all, just makes it impossible to worry about grading on a comic. Particularly choosing to crack a slab.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do.
People seem timid to say it. The creators are just people.
I drew a published cartoon and everyone wanted me to sign it. People I'd known for years and been ignored by for years wanted my autograph. I thought it made no sense whatsoever.
The difference between a creator and most everyone else is that they weren't lazy. They got off their @$$ and did something. Some of these creators don't even remember their own work. They stay up late to meet a deadline and get a paycheck. This piece you consider worthy of an autograph meant nothing to them.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do.
I drew a published cartoon and everyone wanted me to sign it. People I'd known for years and been ignored by for years wanted my autograph. I thought it made no sense whatsoever.
The difference between a creator and most everyone else is that they weren't lazy. They got off their @$$ and did something. Some of these creators don't even remember their own work. They stay up late to meet a deadline and get a paycheck. This piece you consider worthy of an autograph meant nothing to them.

That is a pretty negative generalization. I am sure there are some creators who could care less. You see it in their body language that they dislike being there, but need the money.
On the other hand, those who take pride in their work may actually find their catalog meaningful. Al Milgrom comes to mind. Every piece someone had signed he had some origin story to tell related to said piece. I am sure there are more creators out there similar to Al Milgrom. The fact that in one of the posts above where Zeck remembered inking a story and took off to show his buds represents another instance where the creator's work was meaningful to them.
Post 71 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I do.

_________
Rediculous summation.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
There was a typo error is the last sentence and some text I wrote got delete. It probably got highlighted when I wasn't looking at the screen and I typed over it.

The last sentence should read:
"The piece you consider worthy of an autograph may have meant nothing to them.

Either way, I don't care how it sounds. I think taking a high grade comic and having someone write on it is a waste. I value my own autograph just as much as anyone else's. Maybe I should sign all of my own comics before I sell them so you can be lucky enough to own something I touched. LOL!

Writing on a comic is a flaw. Grease pencil. Date Stamp. Distributors ink. Artist's autograph. They are flaws. I have some, but it's nothing more than a novelty to me.

I cringe when I see yellow label slabbed comics. Especially if they are high grade and older than 40 years.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

Well if the 9.6's could be 9.4's, the over-payment would be like $50 total. But then by the same logic 9.8's could be 9.6's...in which case he would have over-paid by about $250. So not only did Doc Watson save $250 by buying 9.6 but also he saved $200 in potential over-payment risk if the 9.8's were not worthy. So now he's saved a total of $450 on $518 worth of 9.8 books! Very logical Dr. Watson.

Once again I see the failed logic you are trying to apply here, but the bottom line IS The books carry a 9.6 NM+ label. Not a 9.8 You simply can not use 9.8 pricing on your 9.6 books. Can he sell the 9.6 books for 9.8 prices? obviously not.

Until such time you crack and re-sub the book and acquire a 9.8 label(or 9.4) you have gained or lost nothing.

He bought nice looking 9.6 books at 9.6 prices. Nothing more or nothing less until such time the TPGing label changes.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Once again I see the failed logic you are trying to apply here, but the bottom line IS The books carry a 9.6 NM label. Not a 9.8 You simply can not use 9.8 pricing on your 9.6 books. Can he sell the 9.6 books for 9.8 prices? obviously not.

Just having some fun twisting logic.

But the reality is that if you put 5 raw 9.8's and 5 raw 9.6's on a table, all of us would have difficulty sorting them out...even the professional graders. So the difference in market value between the two is not really rational, its somewhat arbitrary, and I think DocWatson is saying why waste the money if he personally gets no additional satisfaction from owning a 9.8 vs 9.6.

I agree and on the rare occasion that I have recieved back a 9.8 on a pre-modern book, I have typically sold it immediately and replaced it with 9.4 or 9.6 if I wanted that book for my collection. The exception for me is modern books in large supply like Spawn 1 or New Avengers 11 where the somewhat arbitrary 9.8 label is really the only reason to own a slabbed copy, anything less I might as well own raw copies.
Post 75 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Once again I see the failed logic you are trying to apply here, but the bottom line IS The books carry a 9.6 NM label. Not a 9.8 You simply can not use 9.8 pricing on your 9.6 books. Can he sell the 9.6 books for 9.8 prices? obviously not.

Just having some fun twisting logic.

But the reality is that if you put 5 raw 9.8's and 5 raw 9.6's on a table, all of us would have difficulty sorting them out...even the professional graders. So the difference in market value between the two is not really rational, its somewhat arbitrary, and I think DocWatson is saying why waste the money if he personally gets no additional satisfaction from owning a 9.8 vs 9.6.

I agree and on the rare occasion that I have recieved back a 9.8 on a pre-modern book, I have typically sold it immediately and replaced it with 9.4 or 9.6 if I wanted that book for my collection. The exception for me is modern books in large supply like Spawn 1 or New Avengers 11 where the somewhat arbitrary 9.8 label is really the only reason to own a slabbed copy, anything less I might as well own raw copies.

All of us?

I'm sure there are many of us who can distinguish between the two grades... as subtle as the differences may be.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
All of us?

I'm sure there are many of us who can distinguish between the two grades... as subtle as the differences may be.

Would be an interesting challenge. I'm sure someone on this forum has 5 9.8's and 5 9.6's that they could share images of with the grades hidden. Even with enlarged images I'm guessing that the subjectivity of the original graders alone would make it so that maybe 5% of us maximum would pick all 10 correctly.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
All of us?

Would be an interesting challenge. I'm sure someone on this forum has 5 9.8's and 5 9.6's that they could share images of with the grades hidden. Even with enlarged images I'm guessing that the subjectivity of the original graders alone would make it so that maybe 5% of us maximum would pick all 10 correctly.

Accurate Grading can only be done with book in hand. My point is that once you subject a book to TPGing it becomes a commodity that's value is governed by the label assigned to it.
Post 78 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller First you state... On the table.
Quote:
But the reality is that if you put 5 raw 9.8's and 5 raw 9.6's on a table, all of us would have difficulty sorting them out..

@EbaySeller Now you are stating... Online images.

Quote:
I'm sure someone on this forum has 5 9.8's and 5 9.6's that they could share images of with the grades hidden.

This is about physically inspecting books and distinguishing a 9.6 from a 9.8

I'll take on that challenge any day.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Does that mean that you've always recieved the grade you expected on 9.8's and 9.6's? If so, you win, no need for the challenge. If not, you lose...no need for the challenge. I'll take your word for it.
Post 80 IP   flag post
601516 95 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?