Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

MAIL CALL - first ever9757

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort

I know, not the best or highest graded but as I said before, they’re mine and that’s good enough.

I have said this many times.... they may not be the best or highest graded, but any grade is better than none. Nice books!

Well said!!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks! It was hard choosing. These are for my collection. I sent some across the street to sell.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@sportshort Dude!!! those books effing rock!!!! congrats man!! love them!

Thanks! Am loving my Canadian Bros’ enthusiasm.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
1st Mail Calls, slabbed silverage and key awesomeness!!! fuel for enthusiasm for sure!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lufcfan
@sportshort very nice congrats 👍

Shout out to my Italian posse!!
Err... something like that.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
I agree, the ss4 is a gorgeous book, a 4.0 seems like it should have gotten a higher grade

I agree @Batman66!
Post 31 IP   flag post
I've got Marvel Super-heroes 13 and Silver Surfer 4 on it's way to CBCS right now.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I've got Marvel Super-heroes 13 and Silver Surfer 4 on it's way to CBCS right now.

Hey, stop copying me. JK

That’s great, I will be keeping an eye out for your mail call.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I'm still new enough not to know the answer to this question, am I allowed to have a mail call (it would be my 2nd one ever)for books that I submitted across the street? or is that a no-no?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm still new enough not to know the answer to this question, am I allowed to have a mail call (it would be my 2nd one ever)for books that I submitted across the street? or is that a no-no?

As far as I am aware that's fine 👍
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:

you are good to go...cgc or cbcs only...no other guys allowed.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Every time I hear "no other guys allowed", my Collusion Spidey-sense goes off. Anyway it's CGC so that's good to hear. I dropped off both sets of books at SDCC on the same day so CBCS spoiled me with their just over two weeks door to door turnaround time, now it feels like an eternity waiting for the CGC books to show any movement.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort your SS4 looks gorgeous!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
@sportshort your SS4 looks gorgeous!

Thanks, was hoping for higher grade but since it's for my personal collection, i can live with it.
Post 39 IP   flag post
SUPER MINI MAIL CALL

Got these back from CGC

Post 40 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort AWESOME, CONGRATS
Post 41 IP   flag post
@Batman66 thanks bud.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
SUPER MINI MAIL CALL

Got these back from CGC

Great books. Anyone hear anything about the 20,000th ASM 300 CGC Graded label? Has it been given yet?
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I am sometimes surprised at people getting books graded and slabbed without cleaning and pressing...I must be OCD, but the idea of sealing the comic in its plastic coffin for eternity will all that dirt and oils and damage drives me silly.

Got some awesome books there, I guess my favorite is the x men book.....did you get stan to sign the other book in person, or buy it that way?

I never actually met Stan, and my only signed book is one I bought, three weeks before his passing.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort nice you're doing well 👍
Post 45 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lufcfan
@sportshort nice you're doing well 👍
100% agree
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort

Nice books! I’m totally jealous. And I wouldn’t stress over the grades. They are yours and great copies!

I have an avengers 17 signed by Stan and CBCS was able to verify it, too.

I don’t know about you but getting Stan to sign my book that he wrote was number one on my grail list.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@sportshort

Nice books! I’m totally jealous. And I wouldn’t stress over the grades. They are yours and great copies!

I have an avengers 17 signed by Stan and CBCS was able to verify it, too.

I don’t know about you but getting Stan to sign my book that he wrote was number one on my grail list.

The ASM with Stan’s sig I got from his daughters booth in Palm Springs but I have a silver surfer number 1 that I had him sign about 3 years before he passed because I feared he didn’t have long. At the time, that was my grail also
Post 48 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town. I agree about the encapsulation with dirt and stuff but being new to encapsulation I don’t know my book had any of those issues. I bought it at my local drug store as a kid and thought I did a good job taking care of it, clearly I was wrong.

the ASM that is signed, I bought it that way. I saw Stan many times in the Los Angles area and finally pulled the trigger on getting his signature on my Silver Surfer #1.
Post 49 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town

PS. Stan’s handlers did not give you any time to talk to him, it was sign and “next”.
Post 50 IP   flag post
@flanders "Great books. Anyone hear anything about the 20,000th ASM 300 CGC Graded label? Has it been given yet?"

Clearly mine wasn't the "winner". I am also curious as to whether or not CGC reached their ASM 300 milestone.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Darkseid_of_town

PS. Stan’s handlers did not give you any time to talk to him, it was sign and “next”.

No lie. The rules were: move the line quickly and don’t talk to Stan.

That sucked because I’d have loved to chat with him, but question sera sera.

One weird thing was he signed anything. Someone actually sent a Death of Superman for him to sign, and he did.

What?
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
@Darkseid_of_town

No lie. The rules were: move the line quickly and don’t talk to Stan.

That sucked because I’d have loved to chat with him, but question sera sera.

One weird thing was he signed anything. Someone actually sent a Death of Superman for him to sign, and he did.

What?

You might be right about him signing anything, He was paid to sign, i don't think he would discriminate as to what he signed. towards the end of his life the lines were super long. when i went to long beach comic-con and he was there (the first year) there was a line of maybe 20-30 people. He was done in 10 minutes and then he sat by himself with no one around. His sig was 30 dollars and that was too much for me back then. I swear, I was sad seeing him sitting alone. I think (don't know) that he probably would've been happy to have someone around to talk to.
Post 53 IP   flag post
@sportshort

I think you’re right.

My son and I went about 4-5 years ago, and it was $90 for his autograph. The lines was 2-300 people.

As much of a pain as it was, it was pretty cool seeing everyone getting excited when “the man” came out.

For someone who read them when it wasn’t cool, it was definitely a sight to see.
Post 54 IP   flag post
600892 54 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?