Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

MAIL CALL - first ever9757

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user

Just got these today,

I know, not the best or highest graded but as I said before, they’re mine and that’s good enough.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Nice haul @sportshort. Did you get these pressed as well?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Dropped off at San Diego Comic Con on the 20th arrived today 2 weeks and 3 days total! 17 days, should’ve been 16 but fedex couldn’t deliver yesterday (they suck).
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Damn, awesome books! Congrats on getting the Stan Lee sig verified; a lot of people seem to have problems getting his sigs passed
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Nice haul @sportshort. Did you get these pressed as well?

I didn’t, I don’t think I would’ve seen them for 4 months. But maybe I should’ve pressed and cleaned X-men 101, notes say “creases & bends to cover some breaks color front cover
few tiny stains top front cover, soiling back cover”
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Damn, awesome books! Congrats on getting the Stan Lee sig verified; a lot of people seem to have problems getting his sigs passed

Thanks, I was happy.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort awesome books. And you got to go to San Diego comic con, you just won the lottery, congrats
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
@sportshort awesome books. And you got to go to San Diego comic con, you just won the lottery, congrats

San Diego Comic Con, cool but to be honest I prefer Wonder-con It's my favorite. I've seen your books, I think you won the lottery. Thanks though. I am happy to have them back in one piece and decent grades considering they were bargains about 4 years ago.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
AWESOME!

Congratulations
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Nice Looking books! I love that Silver Surfer #4 Cover. Unfortunately I think it is out of my affordability in the higher grade (8.0) I would like to have.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
AWESOME!

Congratulations

Thanks man
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Nice Looking books! I love that Silver Surfer #4 Cover. Unfortunately I think it is out of my affordability in the higher grade (8.0) I would like to have.

I know what you mean, i couldn’t afford a higher grade of that book either but at the time it was one of my grails.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Very, very nice books! A few should have received check marks because they look better than the grades. Love the SS #4. Nuff said.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Very, very nice books! A few should have received check marks because they look better than the grades. Love the SS #4. Nuff said.

No cutouts no serious damage, I agree but i'm no expert. Maybe the rumors i've heard about CBCS being a tough grading company is true but since they are for me rather than to sell I'm ok with it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree, the ss4 is a gorgeous book, a 4.0 seems like it should have gotten a higher grade
Post 15 IP   flag post
This is CGC's 5.5 grade reasoning,

FN-
5.5 A slightly above-average collectible with a major defect and some smaller defects, or a significant accumulation of small defects.

I would call a 7-8 inch crease on the back cover 1 major defect and the rest of the items minor defects (that's my interpretation anyway).

here is CBCS's notes on this book.

spine stress & wear breaks color
corner, edge wear & small creases front cover breaks color
7" & 8" diagonal creases back cover partially breaks color, ink stamp bottom back cover
slight soiling front cover & soiling back cover, small stain bottom left front cover

5.5 would've been great but Again, I'm no expert so I deffer to CBCS's expertise.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats, that's a beautiful set of books!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Congrats, that's a beautiful set of books!

thank you very much.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
This is CGC's 5.5 grade reasoning,

FN-
5.5 A slightly above-average collectible with a major defect and some smaller defects, or a significant accumulation of small defects.

I would call a 7-8 inch crease on the back cover 1 major defect and the rest of the items minor defects (that's my interpretation anyway).

here is CBCS's notes on this book.

spine stress & wear breaks color
corner, edge wear & small creases front cover breaks color
7" & 8" diagonal creases back cover partially breaks color, ink stamp bottom back cover
slight soiling front cover & soiling back cover, small stain bottom left front cover

5.5 would've been great but Again, I'm no expert so I deffer to CBCS's expertise.

and here's CBCS's 5.5 grading standard
It seems my book could easily fall into this grade.

5.5 FINE–

This comic is definitely a read copy with handling wear, but can still be a very desirable copy.

This could have one major defect like a larger piece out of the cover, a long tear or a detached centerfold.
It has stress lines on the spine and creases from the opening and closing of the cover.
This could have a light reading or subscription crease or a rolled spine, but is not damaged enough to reduce eye appeal dramatically.
Some cover discoloration, fading in colors and soiling is allowed.
The cover and/or inside pages could have some tears and/or folds.
With the absence of many other defects, the cover can be detached from one staple, but cover cannot be completely detached from interior.
Books with slightly brittle pages cannot grade higher than 6.5 and generally are even lower in grade.
Pages and inside covers could be brownish but not brittle.
Depending on the look of the comic, very small amounts of tape could be acceptable in this grade.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort very nice congrats 👍
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lufcfan

Just for that, i gave you 3 check marks. Congrats to you!

P.S. Thanks!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I know, not the best or highest graded but as I said before, they’re mine and that’s good enough.

I have said this many times.... they may not be the best or highest graded, but any grade is better than none. Nice books!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:

I have said this many times.... they may not be the best or highest graded, but any grade is better than none. Nice books!

Too right!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I like all the keys, excellent choices.
Post 24 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort Dude!!! those books effing rock!!!! congrats man!! love them!
Post 25 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:

Well said!!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Thanks! It was hard choosing. These are for my collection. I sent some across the street to sell.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@sportshort Dude!!! those books effing rock!!!! congrats man!! love them!

Thanks! Am loving my Canadian Bros’ enthusiasm.
Post 28 IP   flag post
1st Mail Calls, slabbed silverage and key awesomeness!!! fuel for enthusiasm for sure!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lufcfan

Shout out to my Italian posse!!
Err... something like that.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598084 54 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?