Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

Captain America Comics 59 - new to me!!974

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I GOT IT!!!! I GOT IT!!! I finally have a complete Golden Age Captain America comic!!! I've wanted a GA Cap since I can remember!!! I always thought that I wanted a WW 2 era comic with Cap and Bucky smashing Nazis on the cover. I found one of those within my budget, but I just wasn't satisfied. I couldn't quite commit to it. Then I ran across this one. It is from November, 1946. A bit later than what I THOUGHT I wanted. But when I really examined what I wanted, I realized that Cap is not just a symbol to me. He is not just a uniform that can be put on by any number of people. For me Cap IS Steve Rogers!!! During the late 70's and 80's, the Cap books focused a lot on Steve Rogers personal life. His passion, his struggles ... his life. This comic retells the origin of Cap. The cover art is indicative of his two lives. It is the comic for me!! This particular comic has tape on the spine, two extra staples and a small amount of color touch done to it. I'm fine with that!!! In my mind, it should have a date stamp on it!!! LOL!! Some of you will cringe at that one!!! LOL!! Anyway, here is my Golden Age Captain America Comics grail!! It is number 59 from the 1941 original series!! And the interior??!! I've got worse looking bronze age comics!!!! And this one WILL go to CBCS for encapsulation after I've enjoyed it raw for a while!! LOL

Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats, Jesse!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations !!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Junglist private msg quote post Address this user
That's a real beauty!

One day I'd love to own a GA cap book too.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O Congratulations! That is a lovely book! I'm hoping a Cap book to be my first GA book in the not too distant future
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone!!! I felt like a little kid opening their first Christmas present when I got this today!!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome pick up! Who cares if it has color touch it looks great! I'd take a color touch amazing fantasy 15 at this point, heck even a trimmed one.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Treco private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations! That is an exciting acquisition.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O Wow! Somehow missed this thread. Congrats, nice snag!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing wrong with color touch as long as it was disclosed and continues to be disclosed. congrats!!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
That's a nice score man. Congrats
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone. I'm still stoked over it!! And if you've ever wondered if Steve Rogers (aka Cap) was in favor of spanking kids, here is the proof he did!! In this story, he just started a teaching job and a student hit him with a spitwad!! LOL

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
That's a pretty solid looking copy. Can you see any reason the tape and staples were added?
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Oxbladder

Actually, no I can't. The spine looks fine. It doesn't appear split. So I'm not sure why the tape is there. I'm afraid if I take the staples out, pages will fall out, but I don't see any evidence of that happening either. I'm actually quite torn as to what to do. The more I look at it, the more I'm wondering about it. I COULD take out the staples myself and see what happens. I'm thinking that worse case, I can put them back in.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O It's a tough decision. I would probably lean to leaving it alone. However, I am not sure of the value of this issue but it is one that I might consider for restoration. If the spine is solid and the taping and stapling was done to reinforce the spine then the tape and staple removal might be worth it.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations, I love the cover.

As for spanking, why not. Steve Rodgers probably believes that only words can go so far before you have to take action.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Happy for you, Jesse. I enjoy your enthusiasm. 👏🏻
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
That's a sweet book. I would enjoy it in raw form for awhile too. It will look nice in a new CBCS holder at some point. I think it would be cool to take photos of every page so you can always reflect back on the story after it gets graded. I also enjoy your excitement about getting this Timely gem.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Robodog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Thanks everyone. I'm still stoked over it!! And if you've ever wondered if Steve Rogers (aka Cap) was in favor of spanking kids, here is the proof he did!! In this story, he just started a teaching job and a student hit him with a spitwad!! LOL

Are those white pages? Pretty sweet!
Post 19 IP   flag post
598074 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?