Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignatures

Is this Stan Lee signature genuine? please help.9731

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
This signature is on the back of a comic book I am interested in buying. I own two Stan Lee signed books, one that I had Stan sign for me and one that I bought from his Daughter's booth, I had it authenticated by CBCS. Neither of my signatures look like this one, but that's to be expected since signatures change over time, my own now is very different from 10, 20, 30 yeas ago. does anyone have older signatures that match up to this? Any help would be really appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Instead of older sigs...see if you can find his signature on personal letters/notes. I seem to recall some discussion of that sig being different. This does not look like any sig I've seen on a comic. But, there are elements here that could be on the way to his comic signature.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Roblee private msg quote post Address this user

This is my earliest sig from Stan. 1991
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 It definitely looks like a less condensed version of his regular signature. My first thought was that it was a REALLY old signature but someone would have to do some research and find sigs from maybe the 70s and 80s
Post 4 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
This signature is on the back of a comic book I am interested in buying. I own two Stan Lee signed books, one that I had Stan sign for me and one that I bought from his Daughter's booth, I had it authenticated by CBCS. Neither of my signatures look like this one, but that's to be expected since signatures change over time, my own now is very different from 10, 20, 30 yeas ago. does anyone have older signatures that match up to this? Any help would be really appreciated.

Quite possibly legit. Looks like he was running out of room and needed to squeeze the signature in.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user

I found this on the web, it looks almost exactly like the signature on the comic that i'm looking at.
Post 6 IP   flag post
it looks like it was Stan Lee's mid 1960's signature style.

the article that acompanies the signature example states
"Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and the Mythical Marvel Bullpen
“Best wishes to Ken — Stan Lee, Jack Kirby”
The website for the Jack Kirby Museum, which honors the legendary comic book artist, somehow came across a scan I made of a page with two autographs. It’s a sheet of mid-1960s Marvel Comics stationary that says, “Best wishes to Ken” followed by the signatures of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Robert Steibel posted the image on the Museum’s website with the comment, “If anyone knows the original owner of this piece I’d love to know the story behind it.”

Here's link to the complete article.

https://ontechnologyandmedia.com/2013/02/13/stan-lee-jack-kirby-and-the-mythical-marvel-bullpen/

I want to pull the trigger now more than ever and send the book to CBCS for VSP but i am nervous that it might fail authentication since it is so old.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It definitely looks like Stan Les signed it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
It definitely looks like Stan Les signed it.

Unless I hear different I believe it’s genuine
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's his sig.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Virgincollector private msg quote post Address this user
Looks legitimate to me bro 🤷‍♂️😎🇺🇸
Post 11 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Send it in. Reward is bigger than the risk
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I think its a real Stan Lee signature.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks Folks. Will update you all when o get it and send it in.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Don’t waste ur $25 to get it verification they don’t update Stan’s autograph in the system. 50/50 chance to qualify even if it’s real. Just my opinion.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
Don’t waste ur $25 to get it verification they don’t update Stan’s autograph in the system. 50/50 chance to qualify even if it’s real. Just my opinion.

Funny, that was one of my concerns.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

This person is still pissed theirs did not get verified and takes every opportunity to complain. It's not 50/50 they get it right, but even if it's legit there's no guarantee it'll verify. Nature of the beast. It could be legit and get rejected, but the process is insanely accurate at NOT verifying fakes, which is the point.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
Quote:

This person is still pissed theirs did not get verified and takes every opportunity to complain. It's not 50/50 they get it right, but even if it's legit there's no guarantee it'll verify. Nature of the beast. It could be legit and get rejected, but the process is insanely accurate at NOT verifying fakes, which is the point.

You’re correct but I am concerned that they may not get it right. I will still give it a go.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Is it possible the book and part of the signature was trimmed?
Post 19 IP   flag post
If it was, it was the worst trim job ever. I will let you know once I see the book for myself. It’s a reasonable price but if it’s been trimmed I will ask for a refund
Post 20 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
50/50 chance to qualify even if it’s real. Just my opinion.

The signature in this comic is clean, crisp and legible. It is not the smear blob of a signature that became Stan's signature in his latter years. If you are worried about it being too old, I wouldn't be. They can verify Babe Ruth's signature and he's been dead since 1948!! Plus, I doubt they have near the amount of Babe signatures for reference compared to the amount of Lee signatures. Do you want to know if it is legit? Is $25 worth your peace of mind? Answer those two questions and you have your answer as to if you should "chance it". IMO, if this signature failed, I'd assume it was a forgery (BECAUSE it is so clean, crisp and legible) and I'd be tempted to mark through it with a marker once I got it back.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Is it possible the book and part of the signature was trimmed?

Looks more like sig went off the page a bit and the book has rolled slightly since then.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
Quote:

I said that’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. I wouldn’t waste $25 on a verification of Stan’s autograph because there system is in no way accurate because if it was it would mean real autographs would pass and fakes fail. So saying it’s accurate is a inaccurate statement.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I said that’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. I wouldn’t waste $25 on a verification of Stan’s autograph because there system is in no way accurate because if it was it would mean real autographs would pass and fakes fail. So saying it’s accurate is a inaccurate statement.

Although I am going to try it, i might be miffed if I witnessed a sig in person and it failed authentication so, I get it But I am still willing to try and cross my fingers
Post 24 IP   flag post
Wouldn’t the rest of the handwriting assist in determing the legitimacy?

For instance, the word “wishes” looks consistent with the example that @sportshort linked to.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:

Although I am going to try it, i might be miffed if I witnessed a dog in person and it failed authentication so, I get it But I am still willing to try and cross my fingers

Good luck brother if you send it in.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Although I am going to try it, i might be miffed if I witnessed a sig in person and it failed authentication so, I get it But I am still willing to try and cross my fingers

Good luck brother if you send it in.

Thanks.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Wouldn’t the rest of the handwriting assist in determing the legitimacy?

For instance, the word “wishes” looks consistent with the example that @sportshort linked to.

Really good point. Good looking out.
Post 28 IP   flag post
One more question, there is a Herb Trimpe drawn Hulk 114 with his signature on the cover. the book normally retails for about 14 dollars in 4.0 without the sig, is there any added value with his sig? I think I should pick it up since it will be around 20 dollars with his sig, but I don't know enough about him. Advice?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
One more question, there is a Herb Trimpe drawn Hulk 114 with his signature on the cover. the book normally retails for about 14 dollars in 4.0 without the sig, is there any added value with his sig? I think I should pick it up since it will be around 20 dollars with his sig, but I don't know enough about him. Advice?

I’d buy it for that get on it.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601452 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?