Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

i made an offer on these 2 books, then I had the seller send me a picture of the inside of the covers and seen the spine split. My question is how much does it affect the grade.
Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
A bunch
Post 2 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker01 looking at the covers, looks pretty decent until you open them up. What grade would you give it. 3.5?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It definitely needs some archival gorilla glue.

I wouldn't give it a 3.5, but I wouldn't buy the book either. Structural integrity is more important to me than just presenting well.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 I'm with @X51.
It's like those guys that buy "brittle pages" books.... I just don't understand that...
I'd personally rather have an literal "solid" investment comic.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@GanaSoth @X51 thanks, I think I will pass 😢
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66

I would too. Thanks for asking for our opinions.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
It definitely needs some archival gorilla glue.

I wouldn't give it a 3.5, but I wouldn't buy the book either. Structural integrity is more important to me than just presenting well.

THIS. Structural integrity is the most important thing for me. Next is color sharpness of the cover, I think. Faded colors just look awful. I don't care if it's otherwise a 9.8, I won't touch faded colors.

But the book has to be solid. I don't even buy less than OW pages anymore, if I can help it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66

I would too. Thanks for asking for our opinions.
for the price I was paying for them it was going to be a great deal, until I asked for the inner cover pics. I was on the fence, this is what I appreciate about this forum, good advice from good honest people
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with others. Unless the price was truly too good to pass up, those spine splits would be a deal killer for me.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@CatCovers 1200 for both
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I question the entire argument about structural this and that myself. I guess you have to ask yourself, how many more chances will you get to buy these early silver books for a song..first ...and second, would you quantify golden age books with those same issues as unworthy as well? Myself I tend to buy them if the price is right because...
If you are buying the comic to read, there are a ton of reprints you could read and save the wear and tear to the comic. You really have no business flipping through older key books like this if they are fragile and easily damaged.

Lets face it, most people slab these things, and never open them again. So at that point, what role does structural integrity play in how it sits in the view window? It affects grade, which helps determine price yet, but the quantifier here was the price was more than fair, so why would this argument even apply unless you intend to use it for a reader copy?

If its fairly priced, buy it, slab it , hold it for awhile and if you can upgrade when you are ready and realize the profit you can off holding an undercopy till something better presents.

That being said, yeah 1200 is a touch steep for that kind of damage, I would be tempted to offer half that , and if its a no go no worry
Post 12 IP   flag post
600649 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?