Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Questing related to pressing logistics963

Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
This question is to help me understand the logistics side of pressing prior to grading. I have never sent a book for grading nor for a pressing so am unsure if this is standard or not.

Much of this comes from a friend of mine that grades books regularly so will relay what he was telling me. I had asked him what company he used for pressing and if it was CFP and he responded he felt a lack of communication from them and so doesn't like to use that service and instead uses a place in Oregon or Washington.

However he says once he submits to there, that is the last he knows of the books' whereabouts and has no way to see the status with CBCS, and I believe this is because the account associated with the CBCS submission at that point is not his own.

So what happens is eventually he will get a box in the mail from CBCS with books in them, but had no idea that particular day he would be.

With other services that provide pressing is this the norm or is this an anomaly with this particular presser.

It is this singular reason I have never sent anything in as I like control of my stuff and being left in the dark from the day a book arrives at the presser to the time it arrives at your home?

thanks for the help
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
My experience is solely with CFP, so other companies may be different.

I submit books under my own CBCS account, but they are sent to via CFP for pressing along with all the paperwork as if I were submitting directly to CBCS - once the pressing is completed CFP takes the books to CBCS and they appear as received on my CBCS account.

The problem with status updates in general is that the process and wait times make status updates nearly moot - if there is a backlog of a month or more at the pressers the status won't change beyond "received", and then the pressing is done in a day and sent out within the week. By that time you already have an update at CBCS.

I wish I had a status clock that told me a day by day count down of when the books will be pressed, when they will be delivered, and when they will be graded, but I know right now I just have to have patience . . . months and months of patience (unless I have $ to burn on rapid or fast pass)
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Pressing some books prior to sending them for grading makes sense. Not all need to be but there definite advantages to getting it done.

Anyway, I would expect regular updates from the presser as to the place line my books are when they are getting processed and when they have been shipped to CBCS. Then I would expect to get information when they proceed through the various stages at CBCS. The first time I submitted book I had Tony Starks press them and the process went exactly that way.

What I would say is that if you would like to get your books pressed and then sent on to CBCS then I would ask the potential pressing service what their policy is regarding keeping a customer informed and if you could get the key updates in the process. It is part of what you are paying for IMHO and not much to ask.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
I'll give a shout out to Tony as well. I know I'm just a small fry compared to how many submissions others are doing, but Tony is very quick to answer any questions I may have along with keeping me up-to-date on when he is done with my books and when the certification company is done with them as well.

Oh, and he does a bang-up job as well.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbsturgeon
This question is to help me understand the logistics side of pressing prior to grading. I have never sent a book for grading nor for a pressing so am unsure if this is standard or not.

Much of this comes from a friend of mine that grades books regularly so will relay what he was telling me. I had asked him what company he used for pressing and if it was CFP and he responded he felt a lack of communication from them and so doesn't like to use that service and instead uses a place in Oregon or Washington.

However he says once he submits to there, that is the last he knows of the books' whereabouts and has no way to see the status with CBCS, and I believe this is because the account associated with the CBCS submission at that point is not his own.

So what happens is eventually he will get a box in the mail from CBCS with books in them, but had no idea that particular day he would be.

With other services that provide pressing is this the norm or is this an anomaly with this particular presser.

It is this singular reason I have never sent anything in as I like control of my stuff and being left in the dark from the day a book arrives at the presser to the time it arrives at your home?

thanks for the help

That is certainly the norm with all pressers, if the books are subbed under the pressers' account, and not the submitters' account.

As it should be, pressers cannot be expected to give updates on whatever stage of grading they are in at CBCS or CGC.If all their clients called them asking for updates, they'd spend half their time on the phone, getting less actual work/pressing done.

If you want tracking & updates, register for your own CBCS/CGC account.

Prior to pressing my own books, I have used 2 pressing services;CFP and CCS.

Had no problems with either one.

Joey (CFP) was great with communication, his rates are lower than CCS's so I gave more subs to Joe than CCS.He is a one man show in that he does all of the work so sometimes, communication could be not the best, but he does return emails.I also , as a general rule, like to support a smaller business over a larger business....and if you ever talk to Joe on the phone, he's a pleasure to deal with, a chatty bastard and pretty funny, as well.

The last time he pressed books for me, there was a bit of a delay, but nothing that was not comparable to a delay experienced at CCS.

What a lot of people who contract pressers like Joe at CFP do not understand is that reputable pressers (like CFP and CCS) routinely have a large workload and performing good work takes time.

Even brand new/off the shelf moderns have to be humidified beforehand for a press to take hold, otherwise the book will revert...skipping humidification also opens up another can of worms...if a book is not pliable when the press is shut, a press can introduce new spine ticks or worsen existing spine ticks.

Dry cleaning a raggy SA book is on average a 60+ minute project....and so on.

I occasionally press books for a handful of guys, mostly local dealers, guys that I've known for years.They understand the books will be done, when they are done.Period.I'd never want to take on even a fraction of Joe's workload,I have my own books to press to begin with, and I do not press books full time/for a living.

Proverbial hats off to Joe for his work and customer service, in closing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
It sounds likely my friend doesn't submit using his account as he must not have one. this is why he is always left without knowing a book's status.
With him sending in like 20 books at a time every few months, I would just want to know what is going on with them.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It sounds likely my friend doesn't submit using his account as he must not have one. this is why he is always left without knowing a book's status.

Does he know that accounts are free?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I suspect he should, though there could be a great deal of info I am not aware of.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I suspect he should, though there could be a great deal of info I am not aware of.

Basic membership accounts, which allow submission tracking, are free.

Paid accounts give different levels of discounts on grading fees.

The most likely reason that your friend subs books thru CFP is that he gets CFP's dealer tier prices on grading fees....

https://www.cbcscomics.com/membership
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
I recently got a metallic cover of Batman rebirth #1 very cheap. The reason- the lower RH front cover has what would best be described as a crinkle. It goes into the book pages about 10 pages.
My question is, would this be a candidate for pressing. Other than that damage I could find nothing wrong with the book anywhere no spine text no color breaks it was perfect.
Post 10 IP   flag post
601366 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?