Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Bronze AgeMovies TelevisionQuestions

Ebay Fun9610

"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
To avoid errors, I usually put in about $1,000,000.00 OBO for all of my modern books. The point is let’s all go have a beer.

When the word “error” is thrown in, this is all I can think off

Post 76 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
This thread is worthy of debate and causing me to break my decade-long hiatus on Internet Forum postings. As an active Ebay buyer and seller, I don't think the seller is immoral to have second thoughts and ask for opinions on this subject. It's not as black and white as some (including myself)would initially think. There truly is another side to consider:

In the sellers defense, you could argue that Comic-con and the MCU presentation are not accessible to the general public, and those privileged enough to attend gain a temporary information advantage over those who cannot attend. Even with live blogging, a guy in the room with his Ebay app on can beat you to the punch every time. This could maybe sway a jury, but probably not a judge as the announcement was considered public and the buyer did not act on "insider" information.

The buyer could argue that he acted on public information and also that the new market value is temporary and speculative. A new announcement could come out tomorrow and make the book worth less than the price he paid for it. He certainly would not be eligible for a refund. (on that note, I always wonder why sellers accept returns on graded books...it opens a window for speculators to take advantage of).

I personally would ship the book without hesitation because your reputation is the only thing that you take to the grave with you, and your reputation comes from your integrity in interaction with others.

I've often thought about the scenario of finding a comic collection at a garage sale. They are being offered for $50 by a nice elderly couple who's collector son passed away. You see that some of the books are worth Hundreds, even Thousands of dollars. What would you do?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

I've often thought about the scenario of finding a comic collection at a garage sale. They are being offered for $50 by a nice elderly couple who's collector son passed away. You see that some of the books are worth Hundreds, even Thousands of dollars. What would you do?

See if they'll take $35?
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
See if they'll take $35?

Damn, now I remember why I haven't posted on Internet forums for 10 years

Once I was talking to a flea-market type dealer at a comic convention with his booth full of junk comics. He told me that a kid pulled a nice copy of Iron Fist #14 out of his boxes, priced at $10. The kid asked him if he would take $8. He said "no, but since you got greedy and re-opened negotiations, the new price is $200. If you had paid the $10 I would have felt obligated to sell it for $10".
Post 79 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

See if they'll take $35?

Heh ... nah, I was just kidding. My plan of action - and I hope I one day get to implement it - is to pay them exactly what they ask and get the comics safely home. THEN, go back later and give them a fair price. I wouldn't want them to change their minds just because I countered $50 bucks with $1000.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Fairly un-related, but everytime I have an auction not sell and ebay reposts it they make "or best offer" available. I used to be able to post for 30 days, but now on the free listings it's only like 7...so 4 times a month I get an offer of like $30, for something I have no intention of selling for less than the minimum starting I have posted. It's pretty annoying.
Post 81 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Fairly un-related, but everytime I have an auction not sell and ebay reposts it they make "or best offer" available. I used to be able to post for 30 days, but now on the free listings it's only like 7...so 4 times a month I get an offer of like $30, for something I have no intention of selling for less than the minimum starting I have posted. It's pretty annoying.

Ebay made another change recently.

30 day listings are now converted to "good till cancel".

While I would renew my 30 day listings in batches (took very lirrle time) this does save me a very small amount of labor.

With that said the change does more harm than good as my listings (when renewed) would show up in searches for newest listings which likely helped me sell them faster before the change.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 It's been a couple months since I've sold anything on eBay, but I believe you can turn the "or best offer" option off on auction listings. I had it show up on my listings one week and didn't realize it. I was surprised when I got a $10 offer on an auction that I started at $15. But on my next set of listings, I looked a lot closer at the listing info. There is a spot to turn off the OBO option. It was hidden very well, but it was there. Just read through it carefully before you publish it and you should be able to find it.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@etapi65 It's been a couple months since I've sold anything on eBay, but I believe you can turn the "or best offer" option off on auction listings. I had it show up on my listings one week and didn't realize it. I was surprised when I got a $10 offer on an auction that I started at $15. But on my next set of listings, I looked a lot closer at the listing info. There is a spot to turn off the OBO option. It was hidden very well, but it was there. Just read through it carefully before you publish it and you should be able to find it.
Yeah, I had it turned off, when you auction doesn't sell and ebay auto-relists they'll turn it on putting the minimum offer at 50% your beginning amount. I keep turning it off, they keep turning it back on.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
After I paid for the cheapest store subscription, I was able to control the automatic OBO being turned on. Seemed like a giant crock and if I can get away from ebay, I'm open to suggestions.
Post 85 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 I hate that new “easy sell” feature on it.
Post 86 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
there are alternatives to eBay (Atomic Avenue, Hipcomic) but eBay certainly is king when it comes to reach.
Post 87 IP   flag post
I never use Auction format, I use Buy It Now exclusively. The only value I can see for Auctions is for books that are rarely sold and there is no established market value. For books that sell often there is an easily searchable market value, and selling at Auction will almost always guarantee that you get less than the current market value. The Buy it Now requires more patience, but plenty of serious buyers will pay a little premium rather than try to get an auction discount. Not saying that Auction buyers aren't serious buyers as well.

I occasionally have the "Best Offer" option, but rarely. Just set an Auto-decline price and you will never have to see the low-ball offers unless you choose to look at them. I like to look at the low-ball offers so I can block extreme low-ballers. These guys are ballsy and dangerous and if you ever make a mistake in pricing or Auto-accept, they will be the first ones to snap it up and punish you...best to just block them.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Absolutely lame. If the OP tried this BS on the CGC sales forums and was caught he'd be in the HoS.

The analogies were also lame. Accidentally listing a book for $55 when you meant $500 is not the same thing as not being aware of the market and listing a book below FMV.

And not every buyer is a jerk. I once listed a book intended for auction starting at .99 cents and I accidentally left on the "buy it now" feature and someone immediately bought it for .99 cents. I politely asked the guy to cancel the transaction and explained why and he understood and graciously let me off the hook. If he had insisted I would've felt obligated to sell it to him at that price and used it as a lesson learned.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
@etapi65 I hate that new “easy sell” feature on it.
I always have easy sell turned off...at which point it says "are you sure you don't want easy sell" and I select "not now".
Post 90 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
there are alternatives to eBay (Atomic Avenue, Hipcomic) but eBay certainly is king when it comes to reach.

Hipcomic. Thank you. I couldn't remember that one. Does anyone still use Atomic Avenue? I thought Comic Collector Live replaced that. It's been at least 3 years since I even looked at A.A. Has Facebook been worthwhile for anyone?
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Has Facebook been worthwhile for anyone?

Only if you aim to sell way below market
Post 92 IP   flag post
600865 92 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?