Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Bronze AgeMovies TelevisionQuestions

Ebay Fun9610

Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
dude, take it down a notch...this isn't a murder case.
Guy asks for advice, everyone gives him the same opinion. So he starts trying to play the victim and talk about double-standards and how he's being treated unfairly. People tried to be nice for going on 50 posts.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I think the general consensus is fairly unanimous. The thread has served its purpose.
Post 53 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
dude, take it down a notch...this isn't a murder case.
Guy asks for advice, everyone gives him the same opinion. So he starts trying to play the victim and talk about double-standards and how he's being treated unfairly. People tried to be nice for going on 50 posts.

He's a longtime forum member....pretty sure it's just conversation/sharing of both points of view.
Post 54 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I think the general consensus is fairly unanimous. The thread has served its purpose.

Agreed!
Post 55 IP   flag post

Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
What the forum is for. Discussions of a topic. And we had it 😀
Post 56 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 I am just going to guess that you have not read all of the posts.

The conversation shifted from the initial question that I posted and some of the posts (mine and others) shifted to a slightly different tangent leaving those who jumped ahead to misinterpret those posts.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
You ship it yet?
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
The right thing to do is honor the sale. I'm sure at some point all of us would buy a hot book at an early cheap price if they stumbled across the opportunity.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@etapi65 The example I gave happened to me years ago with a different book.

I had a copy of Chew 1 in CGC listed at $560.

When the book did not sell right away I decided to drop $5 off of the price.

When I entered $555 somehow it posted as $55.

Anyone familiar with this book would understand that any price south of $300 on eBay at the time would clearly be an error and not an intentional price.

Within minutes someone bought the book before I had time to locate the error.

While the buyer understood when I explained the reason for cancelling the sale he really should have known what was going on before trying to buy it.

Funny how everyone wants to hold sellers to high standards but not buyers.

I once used a completed sale as a template. What I didn’t realize was that auction was for two of the same book and I neglected to update the title. Sold within minutes of posting and I still didn’t realize what I had done until I started packaging. I contacted the seller, was very apologetic and offered the single book I had at a discounted price (it was selling for double what I offered by that time). Guy was a total jerk and said I should honor the auction and give him the two books...even though I only had one!!

I cancelled the sale and blocked the buyer. I tried to make good on my error...but he just wanted his “deal” he thought he got despite an error in the listing. So I relisted it and got double what I was trying to “give it away” for.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The conversation shifted from the initial question that I posted and some of the posts (mine and others) shifted to a slightly different tangent leaving those who jumped ahead to misinterpret those posts.

I have read them all, I interpreted the shift in topic as an attempt to reframe the question in order to show how sellers are treated unfairly and it's the buyers responsibility not to take advantage. But, this is the same argument; attempting to say "hey the buyer knew the price skyrocketed before I could get back and change and took advantage of me". If I misinterpreted then I apologize.
Post 61 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I have read them all, I interpreted the shift in topic as an attempt to reframe the question in order to show how sellers are treated unfairly and it's the buyers responsibility not to take advantage. But, this is the same argument; attempting to say "hey the buyer knew the price skyrocketed before I could get back and change and took advantage of me". If I misinterpreted then I apologize.

Nothing was reframed.

We were discussing different ebay transactions unrelated to the initial one.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Search completed sales of “What If 10 Thor cgc” on bay....you’ll see saddlerivercomics sale was the first sale above $100 excluding 9.8s (which were around $300, which is not unreasonable for 9.8s to be 3x the price of 9.4s). Other books sold for around the same price that day in the 9.2 to 9.6 range.

There is no concrete sales evidence to support his claim that this book was worth more at the time of sale than he was asking. There were actually lower sales that transpired after his.

If anyone wants “time” to asses an offer and whether the book is hot, then set a high asking price with the option for a best offer...the you’ll have up to 48 hours to decide assuming the buyer doesn’t withdraw the offer...seems that’s what @drchaos would like have had the opportunity to do in this case.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector ninjarobert private msg quote post Address this user
Lesson of the day: Set prices on all eBay books for sale astronomically high before SDCC.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
@poka You buy pgx books?

yes
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos There is nothing wrong with you posing your original question. That is what the forum is for. As it stands most all forum members think it’s more important to honor your reputation and good standing with in the EBay community than to chase the extra $100. I think that is still good advice. You are losing on this deal but a clean record is very appealing to new customers looking to purchase on eBay. It really is the culmination of all the hard work you have put into being a reputable seller. Don’t sacrifice that over this one sale.

From a person who also sells on EBay, and also has 2 other jobs, I know how much work goes into selling comics on that site. I also know that there is a step cost which makes it really hard to make money doing so. After shipping and PayPal, and EBay fees there really isn’t much left over for profit. Selling full time is hard, so I can understand the predicament your in with potentially losing a $100. I think despite all the back and forth you know what the right call is, but it is totally up to you. No one here will know the outcome so do what you think is best for you. All the best.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@poka I’ve bought PGX books too, and I am not ashamed. I just crack them open, press them and submit them to CBCS. 😆
Post 67 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblebeast315
@poka I’ve bought PGX books too, and I am not ashamed. I just crack them open, press them and submit them to CBCS. 😆

I think they miss as much as either of the big two, but they have a grading philosophy that is probably closer to Overstreet. And closer to the classic take (before CGC) of experts in the field.

But CGC, and later CBCS, decided to be tighter across the board than Overstreet (and PGX). Not by much, but some. And inevitably, that means that a 9.0 CGC or a 9.0 CBCS comic is worth more than a 9.0 PGX. And that gives the impression that they are inherently better. But it's just a (slightly) different scale.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Also, I don't mind people saying "this thread has run its course" and things like that. They are usually wrong, but I don't mind the opinion being expressed.

But I hate it when moderators kill a thread for this reason. It's very simple: if it's really run its course, then people will stop responding. If they don't stop responding, then it hasn't run its course.
Post 69 IP   flag post

Post 70 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I've never listed anything on eBay, so this is a serious question.

Assuming that once you typed your listing you paused to proofread its contents for accuacy, and still it "somehow posted as $55", is it made difficult for sellers to edit the listing, assuming that once the listing is entered you paused to proofread the entered listing for accuracy?
Post 71 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS Once you hit enter the changes are there for the world to see. I was pretty sure that I entered 555 but whether I made a mistake or the system glitched the price ended up at $55.

Chew 1 is a lot like Walking Dead 1. No one should expect to see a 9.8 for less than $100 on eBay ever.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Okay, thanks. Also, I missed the "within minutes" in your post.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector ninjarobert private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

Assuming that once you typed your listing you paused to proofread its contents for accuacy, and still it "somehow posted as $55", is it made difficult for sellers to edit the listing, assuming that once the listing is entered you paused to proofread the entered listing for accuracy?

It goes live immediately unless 'preview mode' is used. Preview mode lets you see what the listing would look like once it goes live.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector lpgasdude private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

Also, if you notice any errors, or even just want to make some changes, you can edit you listing at any time when it is "live".
Post 75 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
To avoid errors, I usually put in about $1,000,000.00 OBO for all of my modern books. The point is let’s all go have a beer.

When the word “error” is thrown in, this is all I can think off

Post 76 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
This thread is worthy of debate and causing me to break my decade-long hiatus on Internet Forum postings. As an active Ebay buyer and seller, I don't think the seller is immoral to have second thoughts and ask for opinions on this subject. It's not as black and white as some (including myself)would initially think. There truly is another side to consider:

In the sellers defense, you could argue that Comic-con and the MCU presentation are not accessible to the general public, and those privileged enough to attend gain a temporary information advantage over those who cannot attend. Even with live blogging, a guy in the room with his Ebay app on can beat you to the punch every time. This could maybe sway a jury, but probably not a judge as the announcement was considered public and the buyer did not act on "insider" information.

The buyer could argue that he acted on public information and also that the new market value is temporary and speculative. A new announcement could come out tomorrow and make the book worth less than the price he paid for it. He certainly would not be eligible for a refund. (on that note, I always wonder why sellers accept returns on graded books...it opens a window for speculators to take advantage of).

I personally would ship the book without hesitation because your reputation is the only thing that you take to the grave with you, and your reputation comes from your integrity in interaction with others.

I've often thought about the scenario of finding a comic collection at a garage sale. They are being offered for $50 by a nice elderly couple who's collector son passed away. You see that some of the books are worth Hundreds, even Thousands of dollars. What would you do?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

I've often thought about the scenario of finding a comic collection at a garage sale. They are being offered for $50 by a nice elderly couple who's collector son passed away. You see that some of the books are worth Hundreds, even Thousands of dollars. What would you do?

See if they'll take $35?
Post 78 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
See if they'll take $35?

Damn, now I remember why I haven't posted on Internet forums for 10 years

Once I was talking to a flea-market type dealer at a comic convention with his booth full of junk comics. He told me that a kid pulled a nice copy of Iron Fist #14 out of his boxes, priced at $10. The kid asked him if he would take $8. He said "no, but since you got greedy and re-opened negotiations, the new price is $200. If you had paid the $10 I would have felt obligated to sell it for $10".
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

See if they'll take $35?

Heh ... nah, I was just kidding. My plan of action - and I hope I one day get to implement it - is to pay them exactly what they ask and get the comics safely home. THEN, go back later and give them a fair price. I wouldn't want them to change their minds just because I countered $50 bucks with $1000.
Post 80 IP   flag post
600635 92 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?