Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Bronze AgeMovies TelevisionQuestions

Ebay Fun9610

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

5. The buyer felt no eithicsl qualms about basically stealing about $170 from me.

[b] provide statistical data that the book was selling for more than your asking price at the very time of sale.


Link to latest ebay auction:

What If? 10 CGC 9.4


There are additional sales (9.4) after yours that are about the same price. And only one sale the next day of significantly More. Some 9.2s since then have also hovered around $130.

I don’t see any other ongoing sales of 9.4 or lower grade that have bids that high.

That is not statistics supporting
your argument that it was worth more at the time of sale (or $175 more now) and Someone was getting a great deal or “Stealing” it from you. And it’s knee jerk reaction hype so the true value is tbd as the movie is t going to be released for over a year.

That $275 sale could be an outlier and may not even go through.

Regardless whether the data supports your argument (it doesn’t), it’s still bad behavior.

To put it back on you, Would you block a buyer if they pulled this on you?

I wonder how many here are considering it or have already done it.

Nothing personal. Just business.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
BTW, instead of “eBay fun” I think “What if...?” Would have been adore appropriate title...as in “what if...I pulled a DM on this buyer...?

Lol. 🍻
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

To put it back on you, Would you block a buyer if they pulled this on you?


This should always be the first question in response to the situation.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Win some you lose some. 6 years ago I sold 3k of comics to my lcs for 10 cents a book. I was moving to the States and kept 300 to put in three suitcases. At 10c I sold a lot of 90s paper. But also raw FF 52, 53 TTA 52 2 IM 55s all 6.0 range. Flash 139 as 3.0 raw. Think I lost more than $175. It happens in life. Hands up here who as walked into a store and picked up a undervalued book ?
Yep I can see the hands.
So my lcs got a win out of me with a FF 52 worth over a grand for 10c
And I shudder to think of the other gems
But o also picked up a Avengers 1 for half price and I still have my cool raw 3.0 crime suspense stories 22 that I got off him for $50
All swings and roundabout.
What you'll loose here drchaos you'll pick up down the road. That's the nature of buying and selling.
Note to self. (Never sell again. Don't want another FF 52 thing to happen again)
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Pocketrevoltech private msg quote post Address this user
Would you leave negative feedback for a buyer if they backed out after the auction ended?
Post 30 IP   flag post


Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
I'd probably swallow my pride and give it to them for the price. I saw a lot of sellers get burned this weekend. You could always use the excuse I've been given in the past "Someone bought it at the storefront before you"

Thor #1, 8, God of Thunder 25, Starslayer #10...even Excalibur's first appearance all scooped a lot of eBay sellers this weekend.

Here's as good a place as any to post this.

Someone else yesterday mentioned (on a different forum) that Thor #8 is a key issue to buy, given this announcement. So I had a look over at MyComicShop, and they had two in NM for $2 each. So I bought them both. Then, I guess because they didn't want to list them all, two more appeared. I bought those, too. And two more appeared, so I left them alone.

Now there are two more, again, this time at $4 each. (I just checked.) So someone else must be buying them, too, but they only put out two at a time. I've already got four. (I don't know if it's worth speculating on, but I like the cover and they are cheap, so why not?) So anyone else who wants to pick these up might was to do so soon.
Post 31 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@drchaos Sounds like you want to cancel the sale and are just looking for validation


Not really, I was expecting more debate on this one.


Just because there are multiple sides doesn’t mean they are each valid and worthy of defense. Perhaps rewording your original question may shed some light on why the response has been unanimous:

“Should I go back on a deal I made (like it or not your ebay listing is your proxy) because I was not fast enough to respond to changes in the marketplace and it would benefit me to make a new one?”

And please don’t suggest you’re only playing devil’s advocate to foster honest debate as you have been trying to portray the buyer as an unethical thief while the only transgression you put forth is that he agreed to your terms of sale
Post 32 IP   flag post
I got 99 problems, but a hurricane ain't one. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketrevoltech
Would you leave negative feedback for a buyer if they backed out after the auction ended?


While I believe the buyer would deserve negative feedback I would not do so if I could. Buyers are able to renege on purchases with impunity. It is just how eBay works
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
You had the book listed for a certain price. That price was paid. A deal's a deal. The end.

I had the same thing happen to me a while back. I had a full run of Avenging Spider-Man up for sale on ebay for next to nothing (something like $40 or $50 for the whole set). It didn't move. Life got busy, I didn't pay attention to comics news. Rumors hit about Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel getting her own movie and the set sold, including an issue 9 that (like the rest) would almost surely be graded 9.8.

It sucks, but it is what it is.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Back in the days when I used to sell on EBay, I would sometimes have buyers contact me after the auction ended offering me more than the winning bid to cancel the sale and sell the book to them instead. I never once agreed to do this because I did not think it was an honorable thing to to do. I feel the same way about the situation you described.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I got 99 problems, but a hurricane ain't one. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
Post 36 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
IMO. When I put up something to sell and the item is paid for by a buyer, then it is a binding contract that I give him his item.

What if(😂) the price goes down by $175, would you give the buyer a refund of $175 30 days later because you’re “stealing”from him?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
IMO. When I put up something to sell and the item is paid for by a buyer, then it is a binding contract that I give him his item.

What if(😂) the price goes down by $175, would you give the buyer a refund of $175 30 days later because you’re “stealing”from him?


What if....

...you purchased a slab in a shop, they rang you out (took your cash/credit) but before they handed it back to you an alert from KCC came up and said the book was worth double and the shop owner tried to give you a refund on the spot (and not the book)?

😁
Post 38 IP   flag post
I got 99 problems, but a hurricane ain't one. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
IMO. When I put up something to sell and the item is paid for by a buyer, then it is a binding contract that I give him his item.

What if(😂) the price goes down by $175, would you give the buyer a refund of $175 30 days later because you’re “stealing”from him?


What if....

...you purchased a slab in a shop, they rang you out (took your cash/credit) but before they handed it back to you an alert from KCC came up and said the book was worth double and the shop owner tried to give you a refund on the spot (and not the book)?

😁


I think this would be a very good analogy for this situation.
Post 39 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I think @drchaos is asking a fair question. I think the sale should be honored but its fair to seek out opinion.

What if one simply makes an error on the price of the book and someone buys it at the error price? Is it OK to cancel the purchase then? I know this scenario is a little different because the listing was live for a time period but my question stands.

What if a $1000 book was entered as $100.00 or $10.00 can the transaction be cancelled and the seller still maintain his ethics?

Can caveats be placed in future listings addressing these exact things?

A similar incident happened to a commercial online comic store that had autographed Stan Lee items at a certain price and then he died and they cancelled all transactions that occurred after immediately his death (there was a buying surge). There was a social media backlash and they reversed that decision.
Post 40 IP   flag post
I got 99 problems, but a hurricane ain't one. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC In the event of an error, let's say a book is listed at $55 instead of $555 the seller should be able to refuse the sale.

There is no reason that one person should basically be forced to give someone else $500 over a typo.

In such an extreme case you would expect that the buyer should ask if the price is legit before pulling the trigger. Wouldn't it be a dick move to just buy it?
Post 41 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@GAC In the event of an error, let's say a book is listed at $55 instead of $555 the seller should be able to refuse the sale.

There is no reason that one person should basically be forced to give someone else $500 over a typo.

In such an extreme case you would expect that the buyer should ask if the price is legit before pulling the trigger. Wouldn't it be a dick move to just buy it?


Agreed on all your points!!!!!
Post 42 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The transaction should be fair....no one should have get scr3wed over.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
If the buyer had bought the book 3 days before San Diego con would there be a problem ?
drchaos did say the book was bought by a eBay seller. Books goin to be flipped for 200 plus percent you can bet the farm on that. Now in drchaos shoes that would give me pause.
Now if the buyer never sold and the only eBay transactions was purchases.
Then I'd assume the buyer is a genuine comic book collector and books they buy get squirreled up in their collections for years to come. That scenario I'd do the transaction for possible future purchases.
The flipper ain't buying nothing again unless he sees a bargain to gain easy money.
My 2c
😀
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@GAC In the event of an error, let's say a book is listed at $55 instead of $555 the seller should be able to refuse the sale.

There is no reason that one person should basically be forced to give someone else $500 over a typo.

In such an extreme case you would expect that the buyer should ask if the price is legit before pulling the trigger. Wouldn't it be a dick move to just buy it?


Take it to court. Let them decide. My guess is that you’ll lose as you’ll have no forceful backup to support claims it was a typo....especially since this thread will be included as evidence.

Once it’s been proven beyond a reasonable doubt it’s not an error
In the listing what the seller intends to do with it is irrelevant to the point of what ebay rules are. It’s now
a binding contract. Any other excuse to cancel the deal is a breach of your eBay agreement and subject to whatever penalties eBay sees fit to impose (if you get caught). We all know if it’s your first offense you’ll likely get off with a warning.

If it helps you sleep at night to tell yourself he’s just going to make money off you for you to keep the book then fine. You cannot prove that theory unless you gave up the book, though!

What’s interesting is that this scenario is very much like the Captain Marvel #8 this past week where flippers raided shelves on new comic book day and expected shops to have it on the shelf at cover regardless of what the eBay tertiary market was doing....Only to find the books behind the counter marked up...

At least the shops didn’t take the money...then refuse to give up the book unless the buyer paid another 200%...
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@GAC In the event of an error, let's say a book is listed at $55 instead of $555 the seller should be able to refuse the sale.

There is no reason that one person should basically be forced to give someone else $500 over a typo.

In such an extreme case you would expect that the buyer should ask if the price is legit before pulling the trigger. Wouldn't it be a dick move to just buy it?

No, no it wouldn't be a dick move to buy it. So you're telling me you've never stumbled across a good deal somewhere; where something was priced way under value? Instead, you walked up to the seller and were like "yo, I see you have this at $20...it's really worth $100 here's $100 for it"? It's unlikely (but not impossible). But I'm guessing for someone with no job, relying on comic sales for food and rent if you saw a ASM #300 in a dollar bin in good condition you'd snatch that and be out the door in a second. What you're describing is a double-standard by which everyone loves a good deal, but doesn't want to be taken advantage of. Where it's OK for you to get away with a steal of a deal, but no one is allowed to do that to you. This whole idea is pretty despicable in my opinion. It's the exact reason that creators now charge for signatures and many now have outrageously high (compared to even 5 years ago) commission costs. Or, just refuse to do commissions anymore. Their limited time that they spend doing commissions for "fans" ended up just being turned around and sold for 300% (or more) of what they were charging. But they didn't go back and force the person who paid for the commission to give it back. And in that case; it's their actual work, their actual intellectual property involved; not just some spec book.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
@poka You buy PGX books?



Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@drchaos sorry - but a serious seller would go through with the sale unless it was listed as an error.

next time - stay close to sdcc announcements or buy the KCC subscription (if not already) - they provided all the updates real-time

personally - i pick up these two





now there is another seller who has listed a 1:300 for $5,500 although that is a bit optimistic
Post 47 IP   flag post
I got 99 problems, but a hurricane ain't one. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 The example I gave happened to me years ago with a different book.

I had a copy of Chew 1 in CGC listed at $560.

When the book did not sell right away I decided to drop $5 off of the price.

When I entered $555 somehow it posted as $55.

Anyone familiar with this book would understand that any price south of $300 on eBay at the time would clearly be an error and not an intentional price.

Within minutes someone bought the book before I had time to locate the error.

While the buyer understood when I explained the reason for cancelling the sale he really should have known what was going on before trying to buy it.

Funny how everyone wants to hold sellers to high standards but not buyers.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@etapi65 The example I gave happened to me years ago with a different book.

I had a copy of Chew 1 in CGC listed at $560.

When the book did not sell right away I decided to drop $5 off of the price.

When I entered $555 somehow it posted as $55.

Anyone familiar with this book would understand that any price south of $300 on eBay at the time would clearly be an error and not an intentional price.

Within minutes someone bought the book before I had time to locate the error.

While the buyer understood when I explained the reason for cancelling the sale he really should have known what was going on before trying to buy it.

Funny how everyone wants to hold sellers to high standards but not buyers.
How is that the buyers fault? They saw a great deal, they jumped on it. If we were all held to not jumping on good deals when we saw them; no one would ever sell a comic for profit as it wouldn't be possible. YOU WOULD DO THE EXACT SAME THING as that buyer. It's not a "different standard". It's up to the seller to se the price; all they see is the price was $55.00. How are they supposed to know? You could have had a family member die and need money as fast as possible. You're acting like the buyer shoudl somehow be clairvoyant because they found a deal. If they were nice enough to let you cancel the sale then bully for them. But that case was an accident in pricing. Your question posed was not, and you continue to generate examples that make what you're trying to do here legitimate. I amazed your integrity has such a low $ value attached to it.
Post 49 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
dude, take it down a notch...this isn't a murder case.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
dude, take it down a notch...this isn't a murder case.
Guy asks for advice, everyone gives him the same opinion. So he starts trying to play the victim and talk about double-standards and how he's being treated unfairly. People tried to be nice for going on 50 posts.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I think the general consensus is fairly unanimous. The thread has served its purpose.
Post 53 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
dude, take it down a notch...this isn't a murder case.
Guy asks for advice, everyone gives him the same opinion. So he starts trying to play the victim and talk about double-standards and how he's being treated unfairly. People tried to be nice for going on 50 posts.


He's a longtime forum member....pretty sure it's just conversation/sharing of both points of view.
Post 54 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I think the general consensus is fairly unanimous. The thread has served its purpose.


Agreed!
Post 55 IP   flag post
496095 92 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?