Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Bronze AgeMovies TelevisionQuestions

Ebay Fun9610

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
This real life experience seemed to me like a great topic to discuss here.

Less than a year ago that I listed What If? # 10 CGC 9.4 for sale.

As most of you know this is the first comic where Jane Foster picks up Thor's Hammer and becomes female Thor in a speculative one issue taking place outside of continuity.

More recently there was an time where we had her become Thor and replace Don Blake.

As the listing was good until cancel it was relisted each month at the same price.

This week during San Diego Comic Con, Marvel made a big announcement that Thor 4 would feature Natalie Portman as Jane Foster becoming a female Thor.

In the few hours between the announcement and me reading about it here someone bought my book at what I will call the old price. I will use round numbers and call it $100.

There was a copy in the same grade up for auction on ebay yesterday that sold for $275.

Cancelling the order is likely to give me a strike (could keep me from top seller rating, several such strikes in the same year would be a big problem.

Also, the buyer could give me negative feedback even though I am almost positive that they understood what they were trying to do at my expense.

Even so, I do not see why someone else should benefit from the movie announcement that happened while the book was in my possession and control.

What would you do in my shoes?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Cancelling the order would fall under a “dick move” in my book. While I understand the feeling of being taken advantage of, the fact of the matter is that you had a book for sale at a certain price and a buyer agreed to it. You’re deciding, after the fact, that the price is no longer good enough.

I understand the significant amount of money to be made selling at the new in-demand cost so do it by all means if it’s that important to you but I think you would deserve any of the negative consequences that would come with doing so.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Start cancelling my job and stay glued to SDCC announcements as they come out. You also don't necessarily know why they bought it. They could have just been watching it for a year, realized it's about to take off and figured now or never. A person who really wanted the book could have finally gotten what they always wanted. Additionally, you didn't lose out on anything. You got the money you were OK with getting for the book for however long it stayed rolling on ebay.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd probably swallow my pride and give it to them for the price. I saw a lot of sellers get burned this weekend. You could always use the excuse I've been given in the past "Someone bought it at the storefront before you"

Thor #1, 8, God of Thunder 25, Starslayer #10...even Excalibur's first appearance all scooped a lot of eBay sellers this weekend.

I know it's probably more work than it's worth, but why don't bulk sellers pull down key related issues before the SDCC weekend when it's keys related to movies that are potentially being announced. Sometimes it goes to the seller, sometimes it goes to the buyer...all those folks that bought up the Eternals at stupid prices thinking that Angelina Jolie was going to be Sersi all got burned this weekend, but the sellers are laughing as they made huge profits, just as this weekend some sellers got burned with announced books...
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with the other forum members. As unfortunate it is for you. It is not the buyers fault. He did not set the price or effect the market value for the book. He /she probably just thought “this is a person who really wants to sell!” It could also be some one trying to resell but if there is no evidence of that I wouldn’t assume that. We all are in the hunt for deals on EBay. It’s pretty much what it is there for. Sorry.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, this would be one strike. However how many more do you plan on getting in a year?

That being said, how would you feel if it were you who got shafted? I bought a Spider-man 101 and the seller said he couldn't find it. I lost over 150$ because of an Ebay coupon and funding another higher cost copy.

Losing a couple of hundred bucks. Sux. However, losing sleep for guilt or regret is worse than a monetary loss in my opinion.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I've been tracking Eternals #1 for a while. At 8.5 it was selling for $105-110 for several months. After the official SDCC announcement, at that grade all of them have been selling for over $150. The problem with the Eternals is trying to figure out which ones are going to be in the movie. In the first 7 issues there are...5 of them? (4?) with first appearances. Ajak and the celestials don't show until issue #2, seri is issue #3 (Maybe? Is it a different Sersi than Strange Tales #109?). Eternals #5 has...4 first appearances including what we now know is Jolie's character (not even listed on slabs because the character is so irrelevant). Who would've guessed?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector ThreeSeas private msg quote post Address this user
I'd let it go for the $100 or whatever. Who knows, this customer may come back to buy more items from you in the future. You have to weigh out which is better for you in the long run, a happy customer and positive feedback versus an unhappy customer and negative feedback.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos sorry - but a serious seller would go through with the sale unless it was listed as an error.

next time - stay close to sdcc announcements or buy the KCC subscription (if not already) - they provided all the updates real-time

personally - i pick up these two

now there is another seller who has listed a 1:300 for $5,500 although that is a bit optimistic
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Have you guys seen the prices on What If 10 "What if Jane Foster Found the Hammer of Thor"? It's hitting up above $200 now
Post 10 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Have you guys seen the prices on What If 10 "What if Jane Foster Found the Hammer of Thor"? It's hitting up above $200 now

Yesterday a copy went at auction for $275.

While I appreciate the feedback given here, the buyer is a large eBay seller and was more than likely at SDCC where they saw the announcement.

I understand that cancelling the sale could be considered a dick move (I already listed possible consequences) but I am very surprised that no one seems to take the following view:

1. The value of the book literally tripled overnight

2. The book is my property

3. I took the risk of buying the book without knowing for sure a movie was coming.

4. Had I known about the movie two hours sooner I would have increased the price.

5. The buyer felt no eithicsl qualms about basically stealing about $170 from me.
Post 11 IP   flag post
You had an item listed for sale for a price. You sold it for that price.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
I do not see why someone else should benefit from the movie announcement that happened while the book was in my possession and control.

What would you do in my shoes?

You snooze, you lose. I would honor the deal.

My story: When Stan Lee passed I had a signed book that sold almost immediately. It had been posted for almost a year with little to non activity. I found out a few hours later that he died and also saw similar books going for hundreds more than mine sold for. Sound familiar?

I honored the sale, happy to move the book I’d been trying for so long to move. Didn’t give it a second thought.

Now, if I or someone I cared about was in need of an expensive life or death operation and that money would pave the way to survival...we’ll, morally I could justify it. But aside from that, suck it up, butter cup.

Post 13 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Stupid question. Are you trying to convince yourself or the forum?

Yes, it's easier to make judgment calls when we as the audience have nothing vested and can only offer a couple of responses from virtual strangers.

If you are set in your belief that you shouldn't eat the loss (more potential profit than loss), pull trigger and tell the guy something and go about your day.

If you really wanted forum's opinion, I think you have it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos Sounds like you want to cancel the sale and are just looking for validation
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Drogio I do not have a day job. The comic sales pay my food and rent.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
I am very surprised that no one seems to take the following view:

1. The value of the book literally tripled overnight

Irrelevant - you are in a binding agreement through eBay, by virtue of using this platform you agreed to their policies. If you aren’t going to honor that, don’t use it to sell your books.

2. The book is my property

Irrelevant - technically that book is in your possession, but legally
I’m not sure it is your property anymore. Would need a lawyer to speak to this, but I don’t like your chances if push came to shove in a court of law.

3. I took the risk of buying the book without knowing for sure a movie was coming.

What risk are you referring to? If there was “risk” that could not be
covered by the $100 you should have asked a higher buying price. For all we or the buyer knows you got it for free or practically free. You need to quantify the risk to even make this type of statement. Otherwise it’s irrelevant.

4. Had I known about the movie two hours sooner I would have increased the price.

You are making assumptions on behavior that cannot be validated. If you’re that concerned about maximizing your profits from SDCC announcements then attend the show like others. Again, irrelevant.

5. The buyer felt no eithicsl qualms about basically stealing about $170 from me.

provide statistical data that the book was selling for more than your asking price at the very time of sale.

Regardless, arguing the value of someone else’s ethics (which you cannot prove in any way) in order to justify your own lack of ethics is a very weak position to start from. Its quite hypocritical, actually.

I’m sorry you’re struggling to justify to yourself this is “ok” but I doubt you’ll get any sympathy here. I’d rather see you say “just kidding guys, this was just a hypothetical social experiment!” And do the right thing and keep your dignity and respect from your peers here.

Just sayin’.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos i am actually very surprised by your post. you have been in the game long enough to know that the reasons you believe are valid for canceling the sale are not reasons most people would agree with you.

at the end of the day your choice. would you rather lose $175 or your reputation?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@drchaos i am actually very surprised by your post. you have been in the game long enough to know that the reasons you believe are valid for canceling the sale are not reasons most people would agree with you.

at the end of the day your choice. would you rather lose $175 or your reputation?

@drchaos Personally, I think you should do the right thing in order to maximize
Future sales. The amount you could lose just from members of this forum in future sales may be more than that $175.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
A deal is a deal and should be honored. If I was a seller in this same situation, I wouldn't even be asking these questions here on the forum, I would simply honor the sale. As much as it sucks, at least I'll sleep good.

Quote:

(1) I fail to see that anything was stolen from you.
(2) I think you should question your own ethics.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
A deal is a deal and should be honored. If I was a seller in this same situation, I wouldn't even be asking these questions here on the forum, I would simply honor the sale. As much as it sucks, at least I'll sleep good.

Quote:

I haven't made any decision yet but wanted to make the other side of the argument since most of the initial posts seemed to take the viewpoint that the sale should be honored.

I was surprised that so many posters seemed to agree with one viewpoint.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

[b] provide statistical data that the book was selling for more than your asking price at the very time of sale.

Link to latest ebay auction:

What If? 10 CGC 9.4
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@drchaos Sounds like you want to cancel the sale and are just looking for validation

Not really, I was expecting more debate on this one.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder

Quote:

I haven't made any decision yet but wanted to make the other side of the argument since most of the initial posts seemed to take the viewpoint that the sale should be honored.

I was surprised that so many posters seemed to agree with one viewpoint.

And this one viewpoint identifies with moral principles. Why does this surprise you?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
The book sat for a year and finally sold. I’d call that a win.

The buyer did nothing wrong. I wouldn’t cancel on him.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[b] provide statistical data that the book was selling for more than your asking price at the very time of sale.

Link to latest ebay auction:

What If? 10 CGC 9.4

There are additional sales (9.4) after yours that are about the same price. And only one sale the next day of significantly More. Some 9.2s since then have also hovered around $130.

I don’t see any other ongoing sales of 9.4 or lower grade that have bids that high.

That is not statistics supporting
your argument that it was worth more at the time of sale (or $175 more now) and Someone was getting a great deal or “Stealing” it from you. And it’s knee jerk reaction hype so the true value is tbd as the movie is t going to be released for over a year.

That $275 sale could be an outlier and may not even go through.

Regardless whether the data supports your argument (it doesn’t), it’s still bad behavior.

To put it back on you, Would you block a buyer if they pulled this on you?

I wonder how many here are considering it or have already done it.

Nothing personal. Just business.
Post 26 IP   flag post
BTW, instead of “eBay fun” I think “What if...?” Would have been adore appropriate title...as in “what if...I pulled a DM on this buyer...?

Lol. 🍻
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

To put it back on you, Would you block a buyer if they pulled this on you?

This should always be the first question in response to the situation.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Win some you lose some. 6 years ago I sold 3k of comics to my lcs for 10 cents a book. I was moving to the States and kept 300 to put in three suitcases. At 10c I sold a lot of 90s paper. But also raw FF 52, 53 TTA 52 2 IM 55s all 6.0 range. Flash 139 as 3.0 raw. Think I lost more than $175. It happens in life. Hands up here who as walked into a store and picked up a undervalued book ?
Yep I can see the hands.
So my lcs got a win out of me with a FF 52 worth over a grand for 10c
And I shudder to think of the other gems
But o also picked up a Avengers 1 for half price and I still have my cool raw 3.0 crime suspense stories 22 that I got off him for $50
All swings and roundabout.
What you'll loose here drchaos you'll pick up down the road. That's the nature of buying and selling.
Note to self. (Never sell again. Don't want another FF 52 thing to happen again)
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Pocketrevoltech private msg quote post Address this user
Would you leave negative feedback for a buyer if they backed out after the auction ended?
Post 30 IP   flag post
601333 92 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?