Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Silver AgeRaw Comics For Sale

Diversified collection or holy grail?9586

Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Question to the forum here: Would you rather keep a diversified collection (in my case 70% key high grade bronze,10% high grade silver,15% key high grade copper age and 5% high grade key modern books) or sell them in order to buy a holy grail or two? My collection is only 300 books, but like I said all are high grade and mostly keys. Secondly, do you think I would get top dollar consigning to a Heritage, Comic Link, Comic Connect auction or selling at a comic con? Thanks for your suggestions...Nuff said.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
It comes down to what your goal and reason for collecting is...if its scoring income, divest, and grab a mid grade silver grail and wait for it to come right....if its about personal satisfaction, that is a question only you can answer and there is no one else in the world that has a word to say otherwise....so do what makes you feel best ….grails aren't that all empowering that you have to have one to have a nice collection....honestly a few books I consider grails were not originally that high end to start with .
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Question to the forum here: Would you rather keep a diversified collection (in my case 70% key high grade bronze,10% high grade silver,15% key high grade copper age and 5% high grade key modern books) or sell them in order to buy a holy grail or two? My collection is only 300 books, but like I said all are high grade and mostly keys. Secondly, do you think I would get top dollar consigning to a Heritage, Comic Link, Comic Connect auction or selling at a comic con? Thanks for your suggestions...Nuff said.

Consignment is awesome because someone else does all of the work. With that said you would probably get more selling them on eBay.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I think the first question you have to answer is why you own the books. If it is more for enjoyment than investment then you should probably keep what you have. If the question is what will be a better investment, then I would say trade them all in for nicest Key you can afford. A Spider-Man 1 or a Batman 1 etc is a much better long term investment than a pile of bronze, silver and modern age books. Just one man’s opinion.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks for responding. I enjoy comics because they bring me back to a simpler time. I used to own a LCS, I enjoyed buying at a fair price and selling at a fair profit. I would say I am buying as an investment otherwise I wouldn't be focusing on only key issues. Even though I sell on EBay, I am not a fan. I am always amazed at how much books go for on the other auction sites. I am going to give renting a table at the Lehigh Valley Comic Con in Pennsylvania for their October and December shows a shot. I may take your sound advice Michaelkrupp.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting. I have known former comic store owners who did not keep anything for themselves, who did not buy collections, and others who have 5 of every grail, who probably kept too much. One group has far more wealth now than the other. The other has far more space in their house.
Buying mid range keys, flattening, getting graded and holding has worked for me.
Selling will take awhile when the day comes, but I will go EBay so the money comes in slow but steady
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hey Doog. I lost my collection in 2012 after Hurricane Sandy rocked my world with 8' of salt water in my home. Just got back into collecting 2 years ago. I've learned to buy books pre-graded as there are no surprises and I seem to find better deals when I factor cost of shipping, insurance, pressing, cleaning and grading raw books. If I strike out at my local comic con, I will probably take your advice and sit on them for a period of time.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I would rather have the key books. I've had a diversified collection for decades and I get more enjoyment out of the key books that escalate in value at a much faster rate. Then again, I have roughly 10,000 comics. They take up a lot more space than 300.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Holy space issues Batman! I own a 3600 SF home, and it's just me and my wife as kids are grown and I would be divorced if I had 10,000 books in the house. Kudos to your better half!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I personally would love just one great key ..

And then I'd likely start thinking I really need two great keys ...

And then ....
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith Exactly. You wouldn't want it to get lonely.
Post 11 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Buy what you like. That way if you end up stuck with it, the pill isn't all that bitter.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson I agree. When I first got into collecting, I was in that mode of just going after it all, and it created an overwhelming collection of books that I ultimately have no attachment to and am now in the process of parsing down to into sell and keep piles. I have my own personal grail books that I want because I love the characters or covers, regardless of whether they are "major keys" in the eye of the community. As a result of my renewed approach, the books I buy will be graded and go up on my eventual comic wall for display and personal satisfaction, not for investment. I'll get my grails eventually, but I am in no rush and love tracking down the smaller personal grails that I will always be happy to have. To each his/her own though!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I also stick to who I like and enjoy. Tracking down tough to find stuff is a lot of fun too. I never jump into the flavour of the month trends.

Found a Huntress set in phenomenal shape one day, just randomly looking through terrible bins. That's a fun feeling.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Hey Doog. I lost my collection in 2012 after Hurricane Sandy rocked my world with 8' of salt water in my home. Just got back into collecting 2 years ago. I've learned to buy books pre-graded as there are no surprises and I seem to find better deals when I factor cost of shipping, insurance, pressing, cleaning and grading raw books. If I strike out at my local comic con, I will probably take your advice and sit on them for a period of time.

Man, that is horrible. I would do it different if I lived in hurricane, tornado, flood country. I would just have a couple AF 15’s that go with the small box of deeds, titles etc, I keep under the bed to tuck under an arm while I am running away. Hope the wife follows, dogs are on their own.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Good advice Doog!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
If I have my eyes on a pricy key book, I go through my boxes, and if a book doesn’t thrill me to own or it doesn’t bring back a nostalgic feeling, I set it aside for sale.

I only want books in my collection I love, even though it is an investment for me, I don’t keep books just because they’re worth money.

It wouldn’t be a bad idea to list books here for sale. Since you owned an LCS, you know how to research appropriate pricing. Since they’re keys, they’ll be easy to move & you can skip the middle-man of e-bay or an auction house.

Just a thought.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I would rather have the key books. I've had a diversified collection for decades and I get more enjoyment out of the key books that escalate in value at a much faster rate. Then again, I have roughly 10,000 comics. They take up a lot more space than 300.

I also have over 10,000 comics, probably closer to 14,000!😬
Post 18 IP   flag post
Good advice 00slim. I owned my shop in the early 90's when not only weren't books slabbed but we used printed price guides from Wizard!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I miss Wizard. As much harm as it did to the industry, I learned a lot reading that mag.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
I loved getting Wizard every month!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Holy space issues Batman! I own a 3600 SF home, and it's just me and my wife as kids are grown and I would be divorced if I had 10,000 books in the house. Kudos to your better half!

I'm not married, but my better half moved out of the country due to all the anti-immigrant policies in the U.S. She has always encouraged me to collect comics. She's a quite talented artist and appreciates art in general. If she decides where she wants to live permanently, I may sell everything and go where she is.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I'm not married, but my better half moved out of the country due to all the anti-immigrant policies in the U.S. She has always encouraged me to collect comics. She's a quite talented artist and appreciates art in general. If she decides where she wants to live permanently, I may sell everything and go where she is.

What’s that? 40 long boxes. You could make your own low rider. “Have books, will travel”
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Interesting. I have known former comic store owners who did not keep anything for themselves, who did not buy collections, and others who have 5 of every grail, who probably kept too much. One group has far more wealth now than the other. The other has far more space in their house.
Buying mid range keys, flattening, getting graded and holding has worked for me.
Selling will take awhile when the day comes, but I will go EBay so the money comes in slow but steady

I know some resellers who treat their inventory as their collection
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

What’s that? 40 long boxes. You could make your own low rider. “Have books, will travel”

Not sure. They're all over the place. I switched to magazine boxes because they'll hold almost anything.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
different auction houses have different clients, so you might want to consider that

only you can answer the collection/grail question
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
It comes down to what your goal and reason for collecting is...if its scoring income, divest, and grab a mid grade silver grail and wait for it to come right....if its about personal satisfaction, that is a question only you can answer and there is no one else in the world that has a word to say otherwise....so do what makes you feel best ….grails aren't that all empowering that you have to have one to have a nice collection....honestly a few books I consider grails were not originally that high end to start with .

I like that....a modern key like 1st app X-23 or Harley Quinn could be condidered key books in their own right.

*shrugs*
Post 27 IP   flag post
601204 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?