Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Which brand Bag and Boards you prefer? BCW or Ultrapro?9581

Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
for the more expensive I know the Gerber Mylites are best, but for your avg comics is there a difference in quality between BCW and Ultrapro?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
E. Gerber - worlds best.
Others, it doesn't matter. It comes to personal taste, or availability.

Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Ultra Pro are garbage bags. If you are going with a cheaper bag, I would go with BCW.

Mylite2 + Fullback is the way to go.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Ultra Pro get wavy. Very annoying. BCW or Southern Hobby. I'm pretty bourgeois, and go for the E Gerber Mylites 2 and fullbacks.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Manonfire private msg quote post Address this user
For me it’s BCW or nothing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
For temporary storage of books I don’t plan to keep for long I use BCW boards and Ultra Pro bags. Anything I care about preserving goes into a MyLites 2 with a Fullback. Many thanks to all the folks on this board that finally made me see the E. Gerber light! 👍🏼
Post 6 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
At one time, these.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I love E. Gerber Mylar ( Mylite 2)for my better books, For everyday bags and boards I go to Mattsbaseball.Com. He has awesome prices on the bags and they are thicker than the competition. The boards, title dividers and boxes are really affordable. Check him out!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
E Gerber Mylites 2 and halfbacks.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
For my new releases and pretty much most of my collection I go with Ultra-Pro Silver Age bags paired with BCW Silver Age backing boards. I like the extra little room this combination provides. I have never used E Gerber products but it seems the Mylites 2 are quite popular with people here, just not sure what size to get or what board if I went with them for a bit nicer books.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Kinsella5 the pics I posted above match up perfectly. They hold a variety of different age comics. Here's a few example pics with comics in the Mylites2 with Fullback backing boards. All comics in the pics below are in "standard" size Mylite2s with "standard" size Fullbacks.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@Kinsella5 Gerber's stuff is simply the best. If you look on their product list, you'll see the exact dimensions of every bag and board they make. From there it's easy to pick out what you need. Honestly, all I've ever needed is standard comic size (7.25 x 10.5) which will fit Silver Age and newer just fine, along with the 8 x 10.5 for Golden and Atomic.

The fact there's no online ordering is a pain, but they've always been extremely pleasant and helpful when I call. Last couple of times I've ordered, they've always said it will be three weeks before they can ship - but it's usually more like three days.

With bulk discounting, it's best to just bite the bullet and order in increments of 1,000.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector kooljazz1966 private msg quote post Address this user
Nice Thread! I got back in to comics this year after years of being away from the hobby. I've been using Ulta Pro Current Bags and ComiCare 24 pt Virgin White boards w/o issue. I also use BCW 4mil Mylar bags w/ flap for what I consider my good Archival stuff (Probably overkill lol).
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
@Kinsella5...I wondered the same thing a few months back and the other members were super helpful answering my questions about E. Gerber supplies. I started out with 100 Silver Age sized MyLites2 and Fullbacks for my high grade older books. Those sleeves and boards left enough room on each side of the book that I felt the comics presented well. I’ve since learned that Standard sized sleeves and boards fit anything from Silver Age through Modern, plus I think they might be a little cheaper than the Silver Age size too. The E. Gerber supplies aren’t cheap, but once you switch your comics over to them you won’t need to worry about re-bagging FOR YEARS. Like others have suggested, ordering direct is probably the best deal, especially if you order a large amount. Otherwise I’ve found the guys at ReadySetCollect.com really competitive, and they ship super fast too.

Happy collecting!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
@GanaSoth @CatCovers @tonnage71

Thanks for responding. The few Silver Age books I had I sold back in the 90's my collection is basically 1980's to current titles and have had luck with the Ultra-Pro Silver Age bags for my current needs with the BCW Silver Age boards. I will look into the E. Gerber products, I did go that route just want to find something that gives my comics the same room inside once bagged/boarded but will check out what you all mentioned.
Post 15 IP   flag post
600899 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?