Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

X-men 1 with marvel chipping, how does it affect the grade9572

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

looking possibly buying this X-men 1, it's a gorgeous book outside of the marvel chipping. How bad does it affect the grade
Post 1 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Old school grading marvel chipping book without any major defects graded a very good. Not sure how they factor in that in third party grading days.
Is the book priced roughly at a vg price or higher ?No need to disclose the amount.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3 IP   flag post
just saw a post about marvel chipping book that was graded a 5.0. Not sure how cbcs takes into account with chipping. Hope this helps
Post 4 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross the seller has shipped it to cgc, so how the grade comes out, he would sell it to me for the gpa. He is hoping for a 7, I'm thinking about a 5. We might be somewhere in the middle. If it's too high, I will have to pass and settle for a lesser grade. I thinking about getting a lower grade, 2 or under and save up for a af15.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@southerncross thanks for the information
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Batman66 no worries mate. It's a nice book so it may come to a 6.0-6.5
When you find out post the grade I'd be interested in it and I'm sure others will be too 😀 interested in the grade that is not the interested in purchasing said book. 🤪
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
That's a really nice copy of X-Men #1.
The spine looks very nice. The chipping really doesn't look too bad. (I mean it's still a defect that hurts the grade but the comic presents really nicely.)

I know that Marvel comics of that time all eventually had the chipping issue (hence the term was named after Marvel). I forget the history/story on that though... Been a while since I thought about it.

Edit: I found it:
Marvel Chipping is a bindery (trimming/ cutting) defect that results in a series of chips and tears at the top, bottom, and right edges of the cover, caused when the cutting blade of an industrial paper trimmer becomes dull.
Post 8 IP   flag post
598018 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?