Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

By how much a movie influence the value of a comic book?9561

Collector Beney117 private msg quote post Address this user
What would be the difference in value of a comic book before his movie adaptation, during its production and once it’s in cinema?
Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
27.347% increase in price. 😊

It depends on character, movie quality, cast, etc. These days the Marvel movies tend to increase speculation for key issues but, IMO, these days, the increases aren't as large and they once were and the prices tend to deflate sooner than they did previously.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Is it still a safe bet to buy key issues for movie that will be in cinema in 1 or 2 years?
Post 3 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Are you just buying to make money?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I buy some because I want to read them and others because I hope I can resell them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Buzbe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
27.347% increase in price. 😊

i c where a value was linked to the amount of movie effect on an issue, but when you look at the issues that have had move effects on them,you find that not all issues increase due to this value effect.
The effect of a movie depends on how well made the movie is, actor and actress notirity is dependent on the market if they help or detract, and last how mainstream the character is in the eye sight of the market is a major issue like spider-man,batman, superman versus swamp-thing, noami or Turk. If the issue already has a big following before the movie but in small supply the price could peak as much as 8000%, but it will alway level out and grow from that growth point. if and only if the movie is really good and creates a series of movies that create a following i.e. star wars, this has it own set of rule and the return can be outrageous. Over all it depend on the life span of the movie and the work put into the movie andcomic bookk.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
If you're looking to make money you probably want to sell about a week or two before it comes out. Probably should have sold my 9.8 Avenging Spider-man #9. At one point saw them selling for nearly $400. After Brie Larson made some comment that insulted a bunch of insecure men the prices plummeted back to pre-movie levels....Except for the first appearance of the Flerken, which remains a little elevated. The DC movies seem to have almost no impact on prices...largely because their movies are typically crap and those comics/heroes are much better established; already getting a premium. If a comic is in the $100-$200 range, it might double-quadrouple in price. If it's already a $3,500 comic the market is so small for perspective buyers that there's little if any movement. The one exception imo is New Mutants #98, which I still think is the most inflated comic in the history of comics. There are a TON of them out there at very high grades. $800 for 9.8...c'mon guys...it's a freakin modern with a print run of somewhere around 250,000 copies and released at the peak of speculation and mutant madness. Before the first movie I was tortured over maybe buying an $80.00 9.6 (before movie buzz) just to have it, but passed because it just wan't very rare or hard to get. Darn straight I would have sold that crap to some sucker that loves Ryan Reynolds.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Well I hope my Birds of prey (especially my Justice League of America #75 CGC 8.5)and Morbius related comics gain some value even tho there are not part of the MCU.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It can definitely have an effect. I bought a Tales to Astonish #13 (1st Groot) about a year before the Guardians of the Galaxy movie came out and paid about $60. Ones in comparable condition are priced at $1500+ now on eBay.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

It's not always a good thing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
You can do that with a lot of books both pro and con....Iron Man 219...first Ghost was hot for a minute before the last ant man movie but is barely a ten dollar book . Flip Side Incredible hulk 271...First Rocket Racoon in a comic....easily a hundred dollar book in grade now. Currently a lot of buzz about the coming Black Widow Movie with Yelena in the plot ...called Blue Bayou. TOS 52 in mid grades jumped from around 700 a year ago to more than double that at close to 1800 now ..some of the New Mutants books began to heat up because of the impending movie, but once it was sent back for reshoots they cooled off fast....
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
The trick is you need a wide net, ideally you want to own the books before the announcement
When the Eternals movie was announced, I saved almost the full run with many early multiples in high grade from my $2 boxes.
If you have a lot of first appearances, some will go movie, if you chase books after, you can lose.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
You can do that with a lot of books both pro and con....Iron Man 219...first Ghost was hot for a minute before the last ant man movie but is barely a ten dollar book . Flip Side Incredible hulk 271...First Rocket Racoon in a comic....easily a hundred dollar book in grade now. Currently a lot of buzz about the coming Black Widow Movie with Yelena in the plot ...called Blue Bayou. TOS 52 in mid grades jumped from around 700 a year ago to more than double that at close to 1800 now ..some of the New Mutants books began to heat up because of the impending movie, but once it was sent back for reshoots they cooled off fast....

I think Iron Man 219 was initially hot until we found out the ghost in the movie had no resemblance to the comic book character. That hurt the value and was the main reason I passed on his first appearance.

To answer the question, movies definitely bump the values of the comic. If the character is well received and a mainstay, it has a substantial effect on first appearances.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had posted a link to a list of "firsts" so that people could start looking for the next hot key, but then I thought about it and decided that it might be from another company's proprietary database. I pulled the link.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I had posted a link to a list of "firsts" so that people could start looking for the next hot key, but then I thought about it and decided that it might be from another company's proprietary database. I pulled the link.
Ah, but I still got it in my e-mail.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Damn it. Now I'm curious.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Don't be curious. It's just funny books.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Don't be curious. It's just funny books.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Me to a woman: You hurt my last feeling.

Woman: Good, nothing will bother you now.

Me: I said you hurt it. I didn't say you killed it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Wow just wow !!! Nothing like real love and passion! Then along crack! Lady type you do understand that this is a web column about comic and funny books as you put it, and there value! If that not apart of your centerpiece of thought y u hur!!!!?!!!! Dumd - just my thoughts!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Oh boo hoo, oh I forgot to cry! Well two tear and a bucket ____€
Post 21 IP   flag post
And kitty lady you stil look good playin dumb!!!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzbe
Wow just wow !!! Nothing like real love and passion! Then along crack! Lady type you do understand that this is a web column about comic and funny books as you put it, and there value! If that not apart of your centerpiece of thought y u hur!!!!?!!!! Dumd - just my thoughts!

So ... what language is this?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.

Post 24 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Post 25 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
food for thought...

Black Panther movie released Feb-2018

Avengers #62 1st Man-Ape
( 9.6 ) $1,161 Mar-2018
( 9.6 ) $432 Jun-2018

that is quite a steep fall off for what I thought was a great character.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
food for thought...

Avengers #62 1st Man-Ape
( 9.6 ) $1,161 Mar-2018
( 9.6 ) $432 Jun-2018

I am not too familiar with the character buy I assume they barely have any similarities with each other. I don't remember anyone wearing an ape costume πŸ€”
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
food for thought...

Avengers #62 1st Man-Ape
( 9.6 ) $1,161 Mar-2018
( 9.6 ) $432 Jun-2018

I am not too familiar with the character buy I assume they barely have any similarities with each other. I don't remember anyone wearing an ape costume πŸ€”

Um...it's considered the first appearance of Man-Ape...aka. M'Baku. An excellent character that played a role in Black Panther, and appearances as a leader of his clan in infinity wars and Endgame.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I don't care for the character and I don't think he's dynamic or exciting enough for a large following.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I don't care for the character and I don't think he's dynamic or exciting enough for a large following.

I felt that way about Killmonger in the film. Zero interest in him or his vendetta.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601333 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?