CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeQuestionsSignatures

CGC Damages Book Then Bans Submitter951

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon
Ummm... I'll stick with Joey and CFP.

And if he was no longer available, off the top of my head there's probably a half dozen other places I'd go to before using that guy.

Ok, well no worries we all have our go-to people
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Let's just glaze over the fact that this guy is insane and deserves a ban.

In no way is this an endorsement one way or the other, but let's keep it scientific and stick with the facts.

Yes, CGC sucks pretty badly right now. No need to bash them on the competitor's forum. Not classy.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
A decade back and onwards CGC was arrogant beyond comprehension towards some of us who were pointing out inadequacies in long term archival storage so there might be variances of opine over just how classy CGC is in semi-final analysis. Many were fearful due to perceived power this org had over the life blood flow of the higher ends of this fine hobby.

Commodity manipulations can drive some insane pointing out their one shoe size does not fit all. CGC is the Enron of the comics biz. The bigger they are, the harder such arrogance falls.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI

In no way is this an endorsement one way or the other, but let's keep it scientific and stick with the facts.

Yes, CGC sucks pretty badly right now. No need to bash them on the competitor's forum. Not classy.

Who is insane? I hope you're not referring to me and no that is not me or my books. If you read my original post, i did not bash anyone, I listed the facts and nothing more, I refrained from editorializing. If you're talking about the guy in the YouTube videos, he's actually a pretty nice guy. Was it right to publicly bash a company like that, words strong words used that shouldnt have been? probably not, but that doesn't make the company's actions right or excusable.

Plus, I don't agree with not sharing information on other forums. If something happens - good or bad - it's nice to have it available to a wider audience. I dont see how that is not classy.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Quote:

Who is insane? I hope you're not referring to me and no that is not me or my books. If you read my original post, i did not bash anyone, I listed the facts and nothing more, I refrained from editorializing. If you're talking about the guy in the YouTube videos, he's actually a pretty nice guy. Was it right to publicly bash a company like that, words strong words used that shouldnt have been? probably not, but that doesn't make the company's actions right or excusable.

Plus, I don't agree with not sharing information on other forums. If something happens - good or bad - it's nice to have it available to a wider audience. I dont see how that is not classy.

From what I'm seeing on this board it seems like some people do little more than bash CGC. I'm no CGC fanboy but I'd think that people on both sites might be better served laying off that stuff and trying to enjoy this wonderful hobby of ours.

No, I'm not trying to tell people how they should post.

I remember a few years ago when a couple of disgruntled CGC posters started up their own message board and a few of them just bashed CGC left and right instead of trying to grow the board.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkfro
Quote:
Quote:

From what I'm seeing on this board it seems like some people do little more than bash CGC. I'm no CGC fanboy but I'd think that people on both sites might be better served laying off that stuff and trying to enjoy this wonderful hobby of ours.

No, I'm not trying to tell people how they should post.

I remember a few years ago when a couple of disgruntled CGC posters started up their own message board and a few of them just bashed CGC left and right instead of trying to grow the board.

That does happen a lot, not just in this case or between these boards but you have the Marvel v DC or XBone v PS4 folks or Trekkies vs Star Wars and on and on.... As a fan it gets frustrating and embarrassing if you ask me.

I'm all about positivity and focusing on what's fun and what brings us all together. I'm not here to bash or be negative or anything of that nature. However if something happens that isn't necessarily a positive (lets face it these things happen more than we'd like to admit in this comic book world), then I don't think it should be ignored.

If and when you guys (and gals... there's ladies here too right lol) get to know me more, you'll learn that I am all about keeping things light and positive, yet informed.

This is a rather long-winded post at this point but I see this thread heading in a direction that is wasn't intended to go in so I'm trying to course correct a little as well as clear up any misconception about it's intent and myself.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The antics following the new case are what steered me 100% towards CBCS.
The gentleman in the videos that were linked handled the situation in a different manner than I would have. The angry email he read off prior to CGC'S response that he was banned may have had something to do with it. That said, we all know CGC has s problem. For the sake of the hobby, I would love to see them correct themselves even if I don't plan on using their services at any point in the foreseeable future.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

This is a rather long-winded post at this point but I see this thread heading in a direction that is wasn't intended to go in so I'm trying to course correct a little as well as clear up any misconception about it's intent and myself.

For what it's worth, my comments were more commentary on this board as a whole and not limited to your thread.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkfro
Quote:

For what it's worth, my comments were more commentary on this board as a whole and not limited to your thread.

Cheers
Post 34 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

If that's still a 9.8, then I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

That's just painful to look at

After cracking out many of these CGC style labels, most of the ripples are attributed to improperly sized Mylar sheets. Books with heavy waves had Mylar's that were too long, too wide or a combination of both.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
When Daredevil #181 came out I had pre-ordered 28,000 copies.

Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
That guy has documented that particular book each time it came back from CGC. That crease on the back spine was not there prior to the last reholder, CGC damaged it. I don't see how anyone could think it's ok for a company to damage a customers property while fixing their problem holder, and respond to that by banning the customer instead of making the customer whole for the damage?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
That guy has documented that particular book each time it came back from CGC. That crease on the back spine was not there prior to the last reholder, CGC damaged it. I don't see how anyone could think it's ok for a company to damage a customers property while fixing their problem holder, and respond to that by banning the customer instead of making the customer whole for the damage?

I'm getting a weird sense of deja vu here.

link
Post 38 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
People show their displeasure with a service or product in different ways. Some people light their hair on fire and scream to the heavens. Some people say very little but just move along not causing any waves, but not giving said business anymore money. I usually say I'm not happy with the service or product I am receiving one time. I expect a change or we don't do business anymore. Seems like this Youtube poster is a fire hair guy. Either way people can display their displeasure in anyway they want. But keep in mind the scream to the heavens people a lot of times may get dismissed as drama queens or trouble makers. Just look at the thread across the way and see how it came off there. People think the banning was a good thing and people want him to join the boards so hey can gang up on him.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Just stating it's bad form to come out and bash people, regardless. Too many people these days are eager to be affronted by others stating an opinion that doesn't match up with their own. Just generalizing here. Not pointing fingers. Not stating so an so is insane. Just throwing it out there that the facts are what they are and perhaps people shouldn't put a spin on a subject with out stating all the facts.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:

Quote:

Not stating so an so is insane.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:

Quote:

Not stating so an so is insane.

The second quote is out of context, he was talking about (not) calling someone on this board insane. The first quote refers to Marky.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just stating it's bad form to come out and bash people, regardless. Too many people these days are eager to be affronted by others stating an opinion that doesn't match up with their own. Just generalizing here. Not pointing fingers. Not stating so an so is insane. Just throwing it out there that the facts are what they are and perhaps people shouldn't put a spin on a subject with out stating all the facts.

Ok yeah I agree with that
Post 43 IP   flag post
@CCD Anyways....
Post 44 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics Glad we are on the same page
Post 45 IP   flag post
@DarthLego Your point? I meant it in the context of pointing fingers.

Do I think the OP of the video has something wrong with them? Totally. Is it possible they are insane. Sure, why not.

Are you a pot stirrer and disturber? Totally.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Whatever, I'm not stirring any pots. That dude in the video is an eccentric loud mouth for sure. But CGC damaged his book. He deserves good customer service as much as any other customer despite what his mental standing may be.
Post 47 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
As with any story, there is probably lots of information that we are missing. I am sure this is true from both sides in this instance.

Unfortunately, many take to the 21st centuries form of a hissy fit and post on social media before trying to come to some kind of resolution. Does not look like this was initially the case here, but as I mentioned earlier we don't know the whole story. Hopefully he uses this as a learning experience and moves on.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Designer_Toast private msg quote post Address this user
Best. 9.8. Ever.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I think Marky goes a little overboard but I can't blame him for being upset with the abuse that was done to his books. I can say that I got carried away about a product that had a lifetime warranty that had fallen apart and was not abused. I asked for the part to be replaced and the company said that normal wear was not covered under warranty. I was pretty upset about this and replied back and said that was not acceptable and that I will never use their products again. Needless to say that after I ranted on about it, they replied back and said they will make an exception and replace the part. I got a new one in the mail a week later. So the moral of the story is that sometimes you have to shake things up or people will just take advantage of you and fall back on their stupid policies. I replied back to them and thanked them for taking care of it and I appreciated them doing so. I will use their products again.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Well, I invited Marky on my show last night to talk about this whole fiasco and what it has spun in to.

Mark is a New Yorker. Not an excuse but NY'ers tend to be loud and passionate lol Marky is a nice guy.

He told me that he maintains he is right here and he was done wrong however if he could go back and do it all over again he wouldn't have let his emotion cloud his judgement. He would have used much better language and not spammed or yelled.

But he did say he's pretty much done with this all. The book is staying in the yellow label although he might end up doing VSP eventually.

So I guess that can close this chapter and we can move on to more positive things!

*** If you care to watch the show, it is on my YouTube channel page. Dont worry we talked about lots of other comic book related things too haha**
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Well, I invited Marky on my show last night to talk about this whole fiasco and what it has spun in to.

Mark is a New Yorker. Not an excuse but NY'ers tend to be loud and passionate lol Marky is a nice guy.

He told me that he maintains he is right here and he was done wrong...

I found his videos hillarious and point of view very valid. Prism rings aren't acceptable...they aren't! Why are they on some books and not others? At some point you are beating your head against a wall...I empathize with his situation.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Just to clarify a few things, I watched Marky's video, and the waves are completely unacceptable, in my opinion. This isn't the only video to show these waves, and - as in other videos - they can even cause damage to the comic. So I'm completely with him on that.

The Newton rings, however, seem to be a different issue? I think the Newton rings (the prism effect?) are supposed to be purely a visual effect. So different than the high-pressure wave damage. If so, I think Marky was maybe overreacting when they told him there is an "acceptable" level of Newton rings; or he thought they were talking about the physical waves (in which case I would totally agree - there is not an acceptable level of physical waves).

As a viewer I got the sense there was a disconnect ... Marky was (rightly) upset about the waves and physical damage, and then maybe still upset when they were unclear about what exactly they mean by "acceptable" Newton rings. Anyway, I just got the impression Marky was talking about a physical effect and the c.s. rep was talking about a visual one. If it's not very obvious - and I couldn't see the prism effect in the video - then it's probably within the acceptable range.

But maybe I'm confused on the terminology. Can anyone verify, or correct my understanding here?
Post 53 IP   flag post
I would like to remind everyone that the prism effect on CGC slabs has been around in one form or another for 16 years. The damaging waves are new this year but the Newton rings are not.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
I would like to remind everyone that the prism effect on CGC slabs has been around in one form or another for 16 years. The damaging waves are new this year but the Newton rings are not.

This is true. Sometimes passing a piece of paper through the middle actually removed the Newton rings
Post 55 IP   flag post
601465 57 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?