CGC and Ebay Partner up?9509

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I'd like to see CBCS be aggressive like this and get their name out there.

As long as they follow some guidelines. The idea has to be intelligent and beneficial to the collector and not something that equates to a money grab. Some of this stuff is just idiotic and not thought through IMHO.

I agree with you but there's no denying CGC's aggressive business pursuits. While I prefer CBCS, CGC are hungry.

I also agree with you CGC seems to throw all kinds of crap on the wall and waits to see what sticks with the theory of what P. T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute". No matter how stupid the idea, there will be someone to spend money on it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
You would think that the cgc would put this kind of effort into fixing their inner well and outer case. Apparently, that isn't as important as protecting the orphans and widows from making uninformed late night comic book purchases on eBay.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I'd like to see CBCS be aggressive like this and get their name out there.

As long as they follow some guidelines. The idea has to be intelligent and beneficial to the collector and not something that equates to a money grab. Some of this stuff is just idiotic and not thought through IMHO.

I agree with you but there's no denying CGC's aggressive business pursuits. While I prefer CBCS, CGC are hungry.

Of course CGC is hungry. They have lost a TON of money since the establishment of CBCS.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Who has an eBay account? Let's start our own business with the same guidelines. We can all guess the condition of a book within 2 grades. Piece of cake!
Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
In a sense, with all these promotions CBCS is accomplishing 2 things.
The users are more apt to use the services provided generating greater number of books in the wild.
The increase in books graded will give CBCS more exposure in Ebay and such and hopefully the slight premium you get for a CGC book will diminish once people are more familiar with the name.

It's this kind of marketing I deem as smart and not some cheap grading trick....
Post 30 IP   flag post

Did you see this part?

Question: Are CGC's opinions guaranteed?

Answer: The opinions given through CGC Expert Review are preliminary opinions based on an eBay item's images. A precise opinion requires an in-person examination by multiple professional graders.

CGC Expert Review opinions are therefore not guaranteed.

So it's all pretty much worthless. The bottom line is they need to have the book in hand to give an accurate grade. How else can you tell the page count, missing coupon, staple pull, etc? No way to verify the interior contents.

Very HARD PASS for me.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Virgincollector private msg quote post Address this user
All I know is I just got an email saying 53 books half my order is in shipping 🤗! That doesn’t include my pressing order but 15 days from time received and already my modern no press is in shipping 😱! Just wow! With that kind of turn around I don’t think CBCS is hurting 🤣! But sounds like CGC is super hungry 😋
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I really don’t know what to say about this....nothing positive in any way...so I won’t say anything at all other than I have absoluty no interest in this service.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
The users are more apt to use the services provided generating greater number of books in the wild.
The increase in books graded will give CBCS more exposure in Ebay and such and hopefully the slight premium you get for a CGC book will diminish once people are more familiar with the name.

It's this kind of marketing I deem as smart and not some cheap grading trick....

CGC? 😎
Post 34 IP   flag post
So if you get screwed, you can't sue them...

Terms and Conditions of Service

These terms and conditions apply to the Expert Verification Services (the "Services" ordered by you for an item listed on eBay. By ordering the Services, you acknowledge and agree that:

•an opinion rendered based on an image of an item is less accurate than an opinion rendered from physical examination;

•the Services are provided as-is, without any warranty or guarantee. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, all Services are specifically excluded from the Guarantee that CGC may provide for its regular certification services;

•the Services are not considered "certification" services provided by CGC, and no item for which Services have been provided should be described as having been "certified" by CGC; and

•your only remedy in connection with the Services will be a refund if the Services are not performed or under other circumstances as set out in the Summary of Fees and Refunds. Except for the foregoing, you waive all claims and remedies in connection with the Services and release CGC from all liability in connection with the Services.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Wow..... this is a new low.
And I'm sure the uninformed will buy into it.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So if you get screwed, you can't sue them...

Terms and Conditions of Service

These terms and conditions apply to the Expert Verification Services (the "Services" ordered by you for an item listed on eBay. By ordering the Services, you acknowledge and agree that:

•an opinion rendered based on an image of an item is less accurate than an opinion rendered from physical examination;

•the Services are provided as-is, without any warranty or guarantee. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, all Services are specifically excluded from the Guarantee that CGC may provide for its regular certification services;

•the Services are not considered "certification" services provided by CGC, and no item for which Services have been provided should be described as having been "certified" by CGC; and

•your only remedy in connection with the Services will be a refund if the Services are not performed or under other circumstances as set out in the Summary of Fees and Refunds. Except for the foregoing, you waive all claims and remedies in connection with the Services and release CGC from all liability in connection with the Services.

So in other words "We're making an educated guess, but don't quote us on it and it might be wrong."

No thanks.
Post 37 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

CGC? 😎

Well, I wasnt about to name names... lol

By the way, I gotta ask. You folks reading the fine print. Do you read fine print on software installs too?
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

CGC? 😎

Well, I wasnt about to name names... lol

By the way, I gotta ask. You folks reading the fine print. Do you read fine print on software installs too?

Are they comic related - if no - then no
Post 39 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
The preliminary opinions of grade range include Likely 8.0–10.0, Likely 6.0–8.0, Likely 4.0–6.0, Likely 2.0–4.0, Likely 0.5–2.0

Wow,.. we need an expert's opinion to derive this wide of a grade range?... LMAO

Nit picky buyers with high blood pressure and ulcers will still complain about a microscopic flaw that wasn't noted in the description and demand full/partial refund. Sellers will still have to comply,.. plus sellers will have to deal with the inconvenience of MAYBE getting their $5 refund.

And since CGC (IMO) is notorious for handing out gift grades, they have their ass covered due to the wide grade range of their preliminary opinion. LMAO (again)

So in the end, it is all going to fall back onto the seller. For this service, all the seller is doing is shoveling out extra money to get dry-f*cked.

Oh,. and as a follow up....

When a company advertises their services, it is a tax write-off... business expense. There is such a thing called free advertisment, when you allow others to draw attention to your services. But in this particular instance, CGC is actually getting PAID to advertise their services.

Very smart marketing
Post 40 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
We'll see if this service sticks. They may be addressing an untapped market. This could very well be for newbies who have heard eBay to be the wild west and are looking for some sort of assurances on grades within a range. CGC will obviously put caveats in the agreement that protects them. Clearly, for the more seasoned collectors this is not appealing and theres no value.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Or just post pics here or Facebook. I can pretty much guarantee that most members can estimate just as well with that grading gap. Heck, I could probably do the same.
Post 42 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
We'll see if this service sticks. They may be addressing an untapped market. This could very well be for newbies who have heard eBay to be the wild west and are looking for some sort of assurances on grades within a range. CGC will obviously put caveats in the agreement that protects them. Clearly, for the more seasoned collectors this is not appealing and theres no value.
That.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Only an utterly complete fool moron would fall for this scam.

Wasn't there a big uproar from CGC people who were screaming at the sky about the possibility that

CBCS graded that fake cover book by passing scans to the next grader?

And Now this... CGC grading books based on Ebay Scans?

I can't think of anything more extraordinarily hypocritical. What an insulting money grab ploy.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I don't see anything specifying if it's just raw books, or if they'll do slabs too. If so, will they admit a CGC slab appears over graded?
Post 45 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I don't see anything specifying if it's just raw books, or if they'll do slabs too. If so, will they admit a CGC slab appears over graded?

“The service is available for comics that have not been certified by a third-party grading service.”
Post 46 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Of course I’m not a professional grader.
But I have guessed the grade of my last 100 books and have come + or - within One full grade on them all. When I buy higher end books (over a few hundred dollars) I tend to buy them slabbed unless I know and trust the seller maybe the CGC plan would be ok for a complete newbie or someone who’s completely clueless. It doesn’t take long to guess within a whole grade. C
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
This service is like doing a home inspection using only the listing photos...
Post 48 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
This service is like doing a home inspection using only the listing photos...

Yep. With the added clause you should get it inspected in person for a accurate assessment
Post 49 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I'll go for less of a cash grab by offering my services for $4 and $9 to tell you that yes, it is a real comic book.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector Squack private msg quote post Address this user
I guess CGC isn't making bank over the $5-$10 charge for grading notes, so I suppose they have to make up that revenue from somewhere.

What a joke of a service! The hubris of them to say "Give me money, and I will tell you what I think from a non-binding, limited opinion."

Next thing you know they will offer a service where you take pics of your long and short boxes and they take your money to tell you how to properly alphabetize them.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@MR_SigS

Quote:

“The service is available for comics that have not been certified by a third-party grading service.”

Thank you - Not surprised I missed it lol

I'm really curious as to how they'll treat the competition.
:bigpopcorn:
Post 52 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@MR_SigS

Quote:

Thank you - Not surprised I missed it lol

I'm really curious as to how they'll treat the competition.
:bigpopcorn:

No problem. Just to be clear, it states that the service is NOT available for comics certified by a third-party grading service.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Likely 8-10....that's a pretty wide range.

Yah, that spread makes it worthless for a modern book and anyone seeking anything older can do their own analysis.
Post 54 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Likely 8-10....that's a pretty wide range.

Yah, that spread makes it worthless for a modern book and anyone seeking anything older can do their own analysis.

Totally useless. Let's say a seller has a raw ASM #301 that they say is a 9.8 and they are asking $500. Graded 9.8's are around $1,300 and graded 9.6's are around $150. This service will tell you it's in the 8.0 to 10 ballpark??? Gee thanks, for nothing!
Post 55 IP   flag post
598066 74 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?