Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern Age

CGC and Ebay Partner up?9509

Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Just received via email a few seconds ago:

CGC and eBay Partner on Expert Review Service
CGC and eBay have partnered to launch CGC Expert Review, a low-cost service that provides a preliminary review of comic books by CGC experts. The service is available for comics that have not been certified by a third-party grading service.

CGC Expert Review offers the following services on eBay:

• Authenticity Review ($5 per collectible): A CGC expert examines the photos from the eBay listing and provides a preliminary opinion of the collectible’s authenticity. The preliminary opinions of authenticity include Likely Genuine, Likely Not Genuine and Inconclusive.
• Authenticity and Grade Review ($10 per collectible): A CGC expert examines the photos from the eBay listing and provides a preliminary opinion of the item’s authenticity and, if it is Likely Genuine, a preliminary opinion of its grade range. The preliminary opinions of grade range include Likely 8.0–10.0, Likely 6.0–8.0, Likely 4.0–6.0, Likely 2.0–4.0, Likely 0.5–2.0, Likely No Grade, Likely Individual Page, Likely Cover and Inconclusive.
CGC will provide the results within two business days. An Inconclusive opinion on authenticity will result in a full refund. A grade of Inconclusive will result in a $5 refund.

To use this service, shoppers should look for the CGC Expert Review link on the page of the eBay listing of an uncertified collectible.

As an added benefit, CGC will give the person who purchased the CGC Expert Review service a voucher toward CGC’s full authentication, grading and encapsulation services. The voucher is equal to the amount paid for the review and is valid for 90 days from the date of purchase. An Associate or higher CGC Collector membership is required to submit collectibles to CGC for its regular grading services.

What do you all think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
..... what a waste of money....
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint_Monk
What do you all think?

Honestly, the first thought that crossed my mind was, "Birds of a feather flock together."
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Nope. Not worth it.

The span of the grades offered are too wide.
2 days is too long
Everything can happen after seller ships
Post 4 IP   flag post
Yeah, my first thought was "I'll just stick with CBCS and the red label program."
Post 5 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I'll pass.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
When people ask this forum to grade their books, I think we do just as good a job and it's FREE!!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Likely 8-10....that's a pretty wide range.

What's a $5 refund after you've overpaid for a book?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ok, @OGJackster, here's one for you. Contemplating picking it up. Look legit?

Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:

CGC’s service does not cover sig verification, so try another book
Post 10 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
From eBay photos? Not many people post exterior and interior photos. Seems like a stretch to me. I guess anything for some extra $$
Post 11 IP   flag post
@poka so what do they mean by they'll give an opinion on "authenticity?"

That it's a real comic book? Seems kind of silly to me. Or maybe I just don't get it, which is always a possibility.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
The preliminary opinions of grade range include Likely 8.0–10.0, Likely 6.0–8.0, Likely 4.0–6.0, Likely 2.0–4.0, Likely 0.5–2.0

Wow,.. we need an expert's opinion to derive this wide of a grade range?... LMAO

Nit picky buyers with high blood pressure and ulcers will still complain about a microscopic flaw that wasn't noted in the description and demand full/partial refund. Sellers will still have to comply,.. plus sellers will have to deal with the inconvenience of MAYBE getting their $5 refund.

And since CGC (IMO) is notorious for handing out gift grades, they have their ass covered due to the wide grade range of their preliminary opinion. LMAO (again)

So in the end, it is all going to fall back onto the seller. For this service, all the seller is doing is shoveling out extra money to get dry-f*cked.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
@poka so what do they mean by they'll give an opinion on "authenticity?"

That it's a real comic book? Seems kind of silly to me. Or maybe I just don't get it, which is always a possibility.

Yep that is is a real comic book just like they will charge you $5 to check the serial number for graded CGC comics to their database which you can do yourself for free

Remember CGC does not have a verified sig program so if a sig is unwitnessed it will get a qualified grade and CGC will not offer an opinion of authenticity.

However seems like they will give a view whether a book is restored
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:

What @poka said. I've had several Verified Signatures done by CBCS and am very pleased with the results.
Post 15 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Paint_Monk I'm betting that, as an example, you're paying CGC to verify that the comic in question is an actual copy of ASM #129 instead of something like the Marvel Milestone edition of ASM #129.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Virgincollector private msg quote post Address this user
LOL love these comments 🤣! I have never used them once LOL! This is a money grabbing scheme that will only hurt sellers and make it hard for honest sellers to sell there books. Eventually it will be if you don’t buy into there service then no one will buy from you because it’s not “CGC certified” 🤬! eBay has never looked out for there sellers the ones who actually make them there money! This is just another way to screw the selller and attract buyers in the process👍
Post 17 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'd like to see CBCS be aggressive like this and get their name out there.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 thanks for the clarification. That's pretty silly, given that even a newbie collector can probably tell that difference themselves without paying $5...

Plus, if you got to the CGC page, you've got to be at least an associate member paying their $25 membership fee to use this service...
Post 19 IP   flag post
Next they will offer you a digital certificate of authenticity you can print out and add to the comic bag for an extra $6 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

As long as they follow some guidelines. The idea has to be intelligent and beneficial to the collector and not something that equates to a money grab. Some of this stuff is just idiotic and not thought through IMHO.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
i don’t think it’s that CBCS isn’t out there or not aggressive and people don’t know them I just think there not crooks like CGC trying to find ways to squeeze that extra dollar out of you for there service Anyway they can 🤷‍♂️😉
Post 22 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

As long as they follow some guidelines. The idea has to be intelligent and beneficial to the collector and not something that equates to a money grab. Some of this stuff is just idiotic and not thought through IMHO.

Exactly! As long as CBCS maintains a standard of integrity.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
@DWeeB1967 thanks for the clarification. That's pretty silly, given that even a newbie collector can probably tell that difference themselves without paying $5...

Well that was just an example. Sometimes the difference between two comics - maybe the first and second printings of some issue or a "regular" cover versus a variant cover - might not be so obvious.
Post 24 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I agree with you but there's no denying CGC's aggressive business pursuits. While I prefer CBCS, CGC are hungry.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I agree with you but there's no denying CGC's aggressive business pursuits. While I prefer CBCS, CGC are hungry.

I also agree with you CGC seems to throw all kinds of crap on the wall and waits to see what sticks with the theory of what P. T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute". No matter how stupid the idea, there will be someone to spend money on it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
You would think that the cgc would put this kind of effort into fixing their inner well and outer case. Apparently, that isn't as important as protecting the orphans and widows from making uninformed late night comic book purchases on eBay.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Of course CGC is hungry. They have lost a TON of money since the establishment of CBCS.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Who has an eBay account? Let's start our own business with the same guidelines. We can all guess the condition of a book within 2 grades. Piece of cake!
Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
In a sense, with all these promotions CBCS is accomplishing 2 things.
The users are more apt to use the services provided generating greater number of books in the wild.
The increase in books graded will give CBCS more exposure in Ebay and such and hopefully the slight premium you get for a CGC book will diminish once people are more familiar with the name.

It's this kind of marketing I deem as smart and not some cheap grading trick....
Post 30 IP   flag post
601280 74 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?