E
L
L
N
O
W
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I say sell not only those issues, but all of them including #1.

I don't see them sustaining any of the high values.

Of coarse Im old and don't see any real long term sustainable value in any modern books
Post 27 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Okay, I just gotta mention this, because I'm constantly surprised by the effects - or even the existence - of asymmetrical information, when it comes to comic book prices.

I recently sent another batch of comics to sell over at MyComicShop, and this included three Walking Dead 192's at 9.8. One of these cracked on the way over, so it will be sent in for recasing; but the other two were ready to be priced.

One thing I like to do when pricing comics over there is to kind of be aware of other people who are selling the same comic. That is, I would consider it rude if, say, they were selling copies of Bob's Your Uncle #1 for $89, $99, and $109; and someone else came in there and undercut their prices by selling theirs for $87. No. That would just be impolite. Instead, I'd put mine up for $119 or something, higher than everyone who was there first. At least, initially I'll do that. If theirs aren't selling, and are priced too high, I'll likely bring mine down later on. But I won't "cut in line," generally speaking. I'll give them a fair shot at their prices.

I also like to see if anyone else has a copy at auction. And if there is one, I might kick up the prices on my fixed price comics ... at least for a few days, until the auction is over. After all, I wouldn't want to mess with their bidding-war ju-ju. And, I like to encourage higher bids myself. Anything to help my copy sell better later on.

So anyway, I needed to price my two. There were four at MCS, but all at auction, so I looked at eBay instead. I immediately saw one selling for $69.95. (It still is; this was earlier today.) Another was $115, and there were some auctions just underway, and another fixed-price for $79.95, and so on. I also looked at recent sales, which were more in the $50 - $60 range. Nothing to get excited about, but I'll do okay, since I bought my copies for cover. And it might go up later, I thought.

Now, often MCS will sell higher than eBay. It's a different set of customers, mostly. So I put my two copies up for the very reasonable prices of $79.99 and $99.99. There. That'll do for now. Then I happened to look at the one copy that was in this week's auction, ending tonight. I noticed it before, of course, but somehow missed the current bid.

The current bid? $110.

Acckk! I was about to jinx them! And sell mine for LESS than auction! Crapola!!

So, in a bit of a panic I quickly went back and added a leading '1' to both prices. Now they were $179.99 and $199.99. Whew! That was close. I looked again, and saw the bidding was now up to around $150. Acckk!! I'm about to do it again! So I kicked 'em both up to $225, and then pushed the second one up even further, to $229.99.

Well, crisis averted. The bidding is now up to $206 and it ends in a couple hours. There is also another one on deck for each of the next three weeks, so I can't auction mine, but at least I didn't ruin someone else's day. I was even thinking of kicking the prices up a little more. $206 was getting pretty close, after all. So I had a look...

One already sold! The one marked for $225 sold! Just a little bit ago!

So I quickly raised the price on the other to $249.99. Wow! This is just crazy. I started to wonder: do I really want to wait two weeks for the third copy to get recased? This train might not last forever, after all. Or, I could - right now - buy a 9.8 on eBay for $75 or so, all-in, have them ship it directly to MCS, and - if my luck holds - sell that sucker for something in the $225 range next week?

It's worth thinking about, at least.

I'm a little bit bummed, honestly. Because I have a shipment coming later this week, that has five more 192's coming from the grading company. I'm bummed because it was a pre-screen, and of those five, four of them were rejected. Darn it! Out of 50 comics, only 8 were rejected total, but half of those were TWD 192.

Anyway, of course I'm really, really happy that I sold one comic for three times what, just a few hours before, I initially priced it at. That does NOT happen very often. Thank goodness I caught it.

Do you guys see a lot of this? Where people at one online store - e.g., eBay - pay WAY different prices than at, say, MyComicShop? (I've seen it go both ways, but usually not by this much.) I mean, how hard is it to check the two best places online for buying modern comics?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid

Do you guys see a lot of this? Where people at one online store - e.g., eBay - pay WAY different prices than at, say, MyComicShop? (I've seen it go both ways, but usually not by this much.) I mean, how hard is it to check the two best places online for buying modern comics?

Yes.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid could those have been by a shill bidder?
Post 30 IP   flag post

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
However, if you wish to buy now DCBS is offering them at $9.99 per issue. Limited to 2 copies for 192 and 1 for 193

192: https://www.dcbservice.com/search/Walking%20dead%20192
193: https://www.dcbservice.com/product/may190111/walking-dead-193-1-per-customer

I saw some this weekend in an lcs but they were 2nd printing, how do i know that these 193's are not 2nd printing? where can i find the info? (probably some obvious place that I am not seeing).
Post 31 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
@Tedsaid could those have been by a shill bidder?

Well, I suppose so. I hope not. I had a comic sell in the Prime July auction that ended up not being paid, and they cancelled it and I put it back up for auctionr. I guess if ...

..Okay, nevermind. I just checked: whomever bought mine for $225 has already paid. I guess the auction one could still be a shill bidder, but we won't know about that - it's not my comic, and there's no way to tell who's it is? Except, after a month or so if they haven't paid, then the auction is cancelled, and it won't show up any more in searches from the auction page.

So I suppose you can save the direct link to that auction, and check in 4-5 weeks? If it disappears, that means the person didn't pay and it was cancelled, I reckon.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:
However, if you wish to buy now DCBS is offering them at $9.99 per issue. Limited to 2 copies for 192 and 1 for 193

193: https://www.dcbservice.com/product/may190111/walking-dead-193-1-per-customer

I saw some this weekend in an lcs but they were 2nd printing, how do i know that these 193's are not 2nd printing? where can i find the info? (probably some obvious place that I am not seeing).

The 193 first printing says "The Farm House," and the second printing and the SDCC variant both say "The End" instead. Also, I think the coloring of the title is a bit different between the first and second print.

Here is the page at MCS that shows the first and second prints. The SDCC copy isn't up yet on MCS, but it's color is changed to make it look like night.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid Also, the first printing of WD 193 has a red "Walking Dead" Logo while the reprint has a grey logo.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Okay, I just gotta mention this ...............….....Do you guys see a lot of this? Where people at one online store - e.g., eBay - pay WAY different prices than at, say, MyComicShop? (I've seen it go both ways, but usually not by this much.) I mean, how hard is it to check the two best places online for buying modern comics?

I see something even more odd happen often....I participate in the MCS auction as much as I can, as a buyer. I often see books sell at double or triple auction as the same book, same grade is listed Inhouse at MCS every day of the week.

By example lets say someone auctions a Strange Tales 145 slabbed CGC in 9.0 and it bids up and sells for 155 and then you glance and notice same book, CGC slab and same grade, offered for sale for half that on the regular MCS site for sale....apparently cause its fun to bid in auctions...I don't know

Just seems odd it auctions at sometimes as much as double or higher....
Post 35 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:

The 193 first printing says "The Farm House," and the second printing and the SDCC variant both say "The End" instead. Also, I think the coloring of the title is a bit different between the first and second print.

Here is the page at MCS that shows the first and second prints. The SDCC copy isn't up yet on MCS, but it's color is changed to make it look like night.

Thanks for the info
Post 36 IP   flag post
600833 36 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?