Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics Bronze AgeComics Silver Age

My First Red Labels from CBCS9470

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
So I took advantage of the CBCS Promotion a few weeks ago where they were giving $10 off per book for their Verified Signature Program (VSP). I picked out five books to submit, Fantastic Four #80 (Joe Sinnott, signed on the cover), X-Men #100 (eBay auction win, Chris Claremont's signature on the first page), and three Daredevils - #180, 181, and 182 (that I obtained back in 1982 from Lone Star Comics - all had Frank Miller's signature on the first page). I personally obtained and witnessed Joe Sinnott's signature, so I knew it was 100% legit. I was pretty positive about the other signatures being authentic also.

All signatures were verified by CBCS/Beckett and the books were delivered to me today. It's hard to believe how turn around times have been reduced from months to weeks.

How do they look?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post

Post 3 IP   flag post

Post 4 IP   flag post

Post 5 IP   flag post

Post 6 IP   flag post
Here’s the Claremont signature.

Post 7 IP   flag post
And the Miller signatures.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Thinking the Claremont one should be changed to...scribbled by....I have a few x books with his …."signature" on the first page as well and I was immediately taken with the differences between a writers signature and an artists....
Some nice books there Ed...that Fantastic four signed in silver really pops.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The cool thing about the Daredevils is that they were a freebie that Lone Star Comics included with the purchase of the 1982 Overstreet Price Guide. Here’s the catalog from Lone Star and the ad for the Daredevils.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Thinking the Claremont one should be changed to...scribbled by....I have a few x books with his …."signature" on the first page as well and I was immediately taken with the differences between a writers signature and an artists....

Thanks, Mike. I had Mr. Sinnott sign two FF’s for me that day, but I only submitted one for a Yellow Label (can’t remember why I didn’t just submit both for Yellow Labels). Here’s his signature with the Yellow Label:

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
I have always been a fan of having the creator sign the cover, but I will be honest and say if I know someone had a particularly sloppy signature then I would opt for the 1st page. It’s also hard to gauge to as sometimes the creator will be a little impatient and just sign in the middle of the book which also sucks. I would say the Claremont Signature was a good call to have in the 1st page for sure.

Books all look great though and even cooler with the side story. All the best!
Post 12 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo awesome books, congrats
Post 13 IP   flag post
I avoid people signing covers on older vintage books if they are in higher grade or key books personally.....Kirby always seemed to like signing first pages for instance himself.

Modern books for me mostly hold little real love and I tend to just buy two copies and let them sign covers if they want....
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

Thanks, Mike. I had Mr. Sinnott sign two FF’s for me that day, but I only submitted one for a Yellow Label (can’t remember why I didn’t just submit both for Yellow Labels). Here’s his signature with the Yellow Label:

Always amazed at how Kirby drew and laid things out on his covers....for instance on this one, he could have mailed it on the lower half, and just used smoke and flames like the top half, but instead he drew the wall you see instead, with oodles of intricate straight line details that had to take a ton of work. All those straight lines and angles had to take a lot of work.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo the Miller sigs are great...far cry from the scribbles he does now.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@esaravo the Miller sigs are great...far cry from the scribbles he does now.

Absolutely. His signature now is pretty much a somwhat legable F and an MR, if that. But even back in 1982, you can see him get tired (or lazy) by the time he was signing the DD #182’s.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Really nice books. You got those back pretty quick.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Excellent, splash sigs.
I have about 10 reds, if I ever get a signature myself, I sort of accidentally get them in my few collection purchases, splash all the way.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Those look great! I have my first two red labels and first two yellow labels in grading now. I'll bet it was a happy day when that box arrived on your doorstep!
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Paint_Monk - Thanks. It’s always exciting to get a package with comics, graded or not! Make sure you post yours when you get them back.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Paint_Monk - Thanks. It’s always exciting to get a package with comics, graded or not! Make sure you post yours when you get them back.

Will do for certain! I just hope I get some 9.6s like you did! Fingers crossed

(BTW, I'm envious of your Frank Miller signatures. I tried very hard to get Miller to sign some books for me when I was a kid, but that's a story for an entirely different thread!)
Post 22 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
I also took advantage of the promotion. I’m waiting on my books to come back.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The cool thing about the Daredevils is that they were a freebie that Lone Star Comics included with the purchase of the 1982 Overstreet Price Guide. Here’s the catalog from Lone Star and the ad for the Daredevils.

Ah, I remember that weird cowboy on the unicorn. Lone Star is where I bought all my comics back in high school (slightly later in the 80s). I had Miller sign my copy of Dark Knight Returns there just after it came out (1986?). Back when he had hair and looked sort of like a Geddy Lee impersonator.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
So So So So impressed with the signatures on the 1st page. Bravo Bravo Bravo.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
I have been wondering if to submitte a Spawn 1 and a Spiderman 1 both signed by McFarlane, how longo did it takes from you sending the comic until you got it back?
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Ladic - It was during a promotional event, and it only took like three weeks. That promotion is over. Current TATs are listed at 6 weeks, and I would add an additional week or two to that for the VSP service.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I just posted about CBCS July special, 6 week Guaranteed TAT!! That includes VSP (Verifying a signature). That does NOT include pressing. See the post for all the details and code.
Post 28 IP   flag post
600519 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?