Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Read this story. Disney officially sucks.

Father denied by Disney for permission to put Spider-man on deceased 4 year old son's tombstone.
Click or Touch Here for the Story
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Context before I click?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
Context before I click?
updated above.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
Disney not allowing father to put spider man image on sons grave stone.
I would have just done it and not said anything to Disney how would they know.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Disney has always kinda sucked like this. The family could probably have done it and Disney would have been none the wiser.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector gmellos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
Context before I click?

Basically Disney denied a graving dad from putting spiderman on his 4 year old son's grave.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
Should have just done it...sucks, but I don't see people approaching Nike about swooshes etched into head stones. Whats wrong with spiderman balloons and stuff at the grave site...nothing.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
‘For that reason, we follow a policy that began with Walt Disney himself that does not permit the use of characters on headstones, cemetery or other memorial markers or funeral urns"

Yeah ok...They did the right thing by asking permission, but it seems like there's companies out there that just do it without securing the rights. It's not like they're going to go to the family and say "Hey, take down that gravestone!"

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Shouldn't Disney's copyrights be expired by now.....hmmmm
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector gmellos private msg quote post Address this user
I dont even want to think about what that man is going through. I have 3 year old that I would kill and die for in a heartbeat so losing him would essentially kill me. NO Parent should EVER have to bury their child!
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing

See: “Mickey Mouse Protection Act”
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briten
Disney has always kinda sucked like this. The family could probably have done it and Disney would have been none the wiser.

Decades ago I saw on the news that Disney threatened a Preschool for having Disney characters painted on the outside of the school.

I would have thought they'd see that as free advertisement.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Shouldn't Disney's copyrights be expired by now.....hmmmm

Disney is the poster child of copyright extension - and Mickey Mouse is the face on that poster.

Every time Mickey Mouse's copyright gets close to expiring, Disney's lobbyists go calling on Congress. Whom seem happy to oblige. And of course other copyright holders are happy to throw in and plead their case with Congress as well.

As it stands, the copyright on Mickey is set to expire 2023.

https://alj.artrepreneur.com/mickey-mouse-keeps-changing-copyright-law/

Copyright and trademark laws can lead to what looks like a rather strict, unforgiving corporation. Basically anyone that holds a copyright or trademarked character is wise to protect it vigorously. It's a use it or lose it thing.

That said, Disney could have said "sorry for your loss, sure you can put spidey on your sons grave. They gave special permission. But Disney isn't much like that. Maybe they fear establishing any precedent of allowing use of their characters...

@MR_SigS

Yeah. The rest of that story is that Warner Brother's read about the Disney flap with the pre-school. And sent out a few people to repaint the school with Loony Toon characters....
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@moodswing

See: “Mickey Mouse Protection Act”

Yeah, totally shady. Disney is so for the family unless you want to honor your dead child with something he enjoyed. Protect those copyrights. His father will be racking in the money from that tombstone.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
As a wise man once said "everything's legal as long as you don't get caught!"

Better to do it and see if you get caught - would love to have seen the on-line world loose their minds if Disney actually pursued legal actions in this case.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
Disney sucked long before this, and this is just one more example of how their greed machine works. It’s best not to support them at all or any of their owned properties. I’ve personally boycotted every channel owed by Disney (Fox, abc, A&E, ESPN, History channel, National Geographic and Vice), by not having cable. I will be missing out some good films as well, but I don’t want to give this company anymore of my hard earned dollars just so they can lord over all the old creative properties I used to love.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector gotham44 private msg quote post Address this user
Disney is awful. I think they would have died long ago if it wasn't for the fact they bought Marvel and Star Wars and Pixar. All they do is make live action versions of their cartoons.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Walt Disney was generous enough to allow Donald Duck's likeness to be used for the Oregon Ducks Mascot (designed by Mike Royer) on a handshake deal. Naturally after Walt died and the 'New Boss' learned there were no written agreements on this, they put an end to it.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briten

Decades ago I saw on the news that Disney threatened a Preschool for having Disney characters painted on the outside of the school.

I would have thought they'd see that as free advertisement.

I’m sure Disney would have been all
about it if the Preschool had paid them first. They need the extra cash to keep buying up everything not already owned by Disney.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham44
Disney is awful. I think they would have died long ago if it wasn't for the fact they bought Marvel and Star Wars and Pixar. All they do is make live action versions of their cartoons.

There was a time back in the eighties when Disney was really struggling. So much that there was discussion with The Jim Henson company to buy them. The deal did not ultimately happen, and as we all know Jim suddenly died in 1990 (rest in peace Jim). Pixar was what ultimately saved Disney and brought them to the current fortunes. Damn “Toy Story”.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmellos
I dont even want to think about what that is going through. I have 3 year old that I would kill and die for in a heartbeat so losing him would essentially kill me. NO Parent should EVER have to bury their child!

Very true. So much so that we don’t even have a word for a parent who loses their child (such as orphan or widow).
Post 21 IP   flag post
600896 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?