Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Green vs Red label-which is better? Sandman #19455

Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Like most other people who have commented, I would for sure prefer a red, signature verified label.

But as one other person mentioned, you have a 9.8 grade. There is no guarantee that it will get a 9.8 when regraded. In fact, since your chances of getting a 9.9 are near zero, you really only have two possibilities. Stay the same grade or go down.

So in weighing your decision, you may want to consider how you would feel about a Red label, signature verified 9.6 vs a Green Label, qualified 9.8
Post 26 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjarobert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I am not sure why anyone would choose an non-authenticated signature over an authenticated signature?

I know things rarely make much sense in this industry, but this one seems to be..... I dunno.... obvious?

I’d buy a green label if they’re were enough sample sigs to compare against. They’re usually pretty cheap

As an alternative to looking at signatures yourself, Beckett Media offers a "quick opinion" signature service. Send them a picture or a link to the auction/listing (listing has to have pictures obviously) and for $10 a signature expert looks at it and sends an email saying it is/is not likely to pass a full authentication submission.

It's not a full authentication and you don't get a letter or certificate of authenticity. But it is an expert opinion and you get an email back saying likely to pass or not.

I've used it once now. It was super fast.

Link
https://www.beckett-authentication.com/services/signature-review
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
I recently purchased a Sandman #1 CGC 9.8 "green" label signed and sketched by Neil Gaiman...is it better to leave as a green label or for long term vslue possible resale is it better to have red? I dont have it in hand yet but here's some screenshots

I got this right before everything went crazy with sandman...like 12 hours before

BTW I forgot to mention....I am a big Neil Gaiman/Dave McKean collector - and yes...that is an original signature....nice to have it on a 9.8 #1 Sandman too. very Hard to find.

Convert it to CBCS red for the small amount needed....you won't regret it.

FYI - I found a 6.0-7.5 copy at a Hastings in their comic bins for a buck before they went out of business and had started the clearance of their books.

Nice post.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
UPDATE: Tbe book was delivered yesterday and in my posession for about an hour before I decided to take advantage of cbcs promo and drop it right back in the mail...
So here's hoping the 9.8 stays 9.8!
Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
UPDATE: Tbe book was delivered yesterday and in my posession for about an hour before I decided to take advantage of cbcs promo and drop it right back in the mail...
So here's hoping the 9.8 stays 9.8!

good choice!! I hope you get your 9.8...but even if you don't you'll have a verified sig which is more important in my opinion. 🍻
Post 30 IP   flag post

Awesome plot twist....CBCS just called to confirm Sam Keith's name on 1st page...now let's hope that 9.8 holds...this about to be my Super Grail
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector ninjarobert private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Awesome plot twist....CBCS just called to confirm Sam Keith's name on 1st page...now let's hope that 9.8 holds...this about to be my Super Grail

Awesome surprise. Congrats!
Post 32 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Excellent!!!! Congrats man!!!!
Post 33 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That’s great, Ed. But wouldn’t that mean CGC missed the inside signature, since it doesn’t say anything about it on the label?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:

That’s great, Ed. But wouldn’t that mean CGC missed the inside signature, since it doesn’t say anything about it on the label?
yeah I guess so...I'm thinking at this point it seems the person i bought it from was most likely not the original owner because they didnt note it in the listing. The label simply states writing and sketch...so who knows what's going on. Either way pleasant surprise
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I think green compliments the rainbow affect Newton Rings create better than red does. lol
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice copy and that is Neil's signature without a doubt. I met Neil a number of times in the 1990's and he was also known to draw little things on the covers of his books. I have some Death High Cost of Living #1 copies that he signed and would draw little symbols on the covers. I don't think he is doing conventions anymore and when he promotes a book and does a signing he generally won't sign anything but the book he is promoting so his signature on comics is getting to be difficult.
Post 37 IP   flag post
So I submitted this book two day...because I had some credits and I wanted it back..
This was shipped in a cgc slab...at a 9.8 qualified grade...it is coming back to me double signed at this....

How does a book go down this much...or did cgc miss a lot...I'm so bummed.
Post 38 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I had the same thing happen to me years ago. I had a 9.8 SS graded by the cgc Astonishing X-Men 32 variant cover that was signed by Phil Jimenez. I had CBCS crack it out and get it singed by Andy Lanning. It came back a 9.4. I told CBCS to just keep it. I had no use for it at that point. At least your defects look like they will press out.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I had the same thing happen to me years ago. I had a 9.8 SS graded by the cgc Astonishing X-Men 32 variant cover that was signed by Phil Jimenez. I had CBCS crack it out and get it singed by Andy Lanning. It came back a 9.4. I told CBCS to just keep it. I had no use for it at that point. At least your defects look like they will press out.

I sent them an email already and asked if I press and resubmit when I receive it if they would at least give me a discount on services...I mean I guess cgc could have missed things, but it just seems like a harsh drop...I wasn't planning on selling any time soon, but I really wanted a "unicorn" book...I dont even see double signed 9.8 sandman #1s on ebay...active or sold.
Post 40 IP   flag post
I looked up my notes. You come out a lot better than I did:

Notes:
substance on right back cover
tiny scratch bottom back cover breaks color
long scratch middle spine barely breaks color
light spine stress barely breaks color
Post 41 IP   flag post
I did make an error. It wasn't already signed by Jimenez. It was a blue label 9.8 from the cgc, but both Phil Jimenez and Andy Lanning signed it at NY ComicCon and it came back a 9.4 with the above notes.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I was mentally prepared for like 9.8 to 9.6 drop...but 6 points just seems crazy
Post 43 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I sent them an email already and asked if I press and resubmit when I receive it if they would at least give me a discount on services...I mean I guess cgc could have missed things, but it just seems like a harsh drop...I wasn't planning on selling any time soon, but I really wanted a "unicorn" book...I dont even see double signed 9.8 sandman #1s on ebay...active or sold.

If you do press and resubmit, make sure to have a CBCS recognized presser crack it open, press it and resubmit for you. Otherwise you have to have it go through VSP again.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
I was mentally prepared for like 9.8 to 9.6 drop...but 6 points just seems crazy

Front cover creases will kill a book. I have two or three Silver age books with small back cover tears where the string they were bound with cut the paper. Those didn't grade higher than a 9.0.
Post 45 IP   flag post
This is how it left me...
Post 46 IP   flag post
It could have easily gotten bent during the second signing. When I was getting books signed, I always had them pressed after the signing and before being graded again... with the exception of that Astonishing X-Men 32. Pressing wouldn't have helped it any way.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
It could have easily gotten bent during the second signing. When I was getting books signed, I always had them pressed after the signing and before being graded again... with the exception of that Astonishing X-Men 32. Pressing wouldn't have helped it any way.

See...I would understand that, however, I submitted the book in the slab, not even knowing that Kieth had signed it. They called me to tell me. So that is why I question some handling along the way. I agree that it seems like a press might get it back to the original grade or at least a 9.6...but it just sucks a little... it's honestly the first time I've been bummed about my grade...I was super excited when they called me about the second sig, now I'm just a bit disappointed about the grade
Post 48 IP   flag post
I forgot that it was already signed. I would still get it pressed. It would be worth it to me. I would be interested in seeing if the cgc had any notes on the book.
Post 49 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Front cover creases will kill a book. I have two or three Silver age books with small back cover tears where the string they were bound with cut the paper. Those didn't grade higher than a 9.0.

In Rhode Island during the 1970’s, I was sometimes allowed first crack at the bundle of new comics at some stores. The distributors here didn’t use string, they used wire. The owner or guy working at the store would hand me a pliers to untwist the wire to free the comics. At least the first two top and last two bottom comics were always scarred by the wire. My copy of Shazam #28 has these marks (not too deep, but definitely noticeable) and received a 9.0 by CBCS.
Post 50 IP   flag post
I just assumed it was string. It very well could have been a wire. One is an X-Men 8 and the other is an X-Men 55.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Enelson get someone to Press it for you. As mentioned by @Jesse_0 recognized CBCS presser
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector ninjarobert private msg quote post Address this user
That's a bit of a bummer. Possible CGC missed those problems. I bought a CGC 9.8 Star Trek #1 for William Shatner to sign. After I cracked it, I saw a few tiny color breaking spine ticks. Was hoping it'd still get a 9.8, but came back a 9.4 from CBCS.
Post 53 IP   flag post
601511 53 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?