Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Copper AgeQuestions

Error? Want to buy, but question first...9439

Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
I use CBCS exclusively (although I'm still relatively new) but I do buy CGC graded books at times on eBay. I came across this one today. I verified the serial number, but the label on the slab is weird. The comic is clearly autographed, but it's not CGC's yellow "authenticated" signature. The writing is large enough that if it's unverified, you'd think it would bring down the grade of the book.

Is there something wrong with this, or am I just uninformed? I thought with the writing on the cover, if the signature isn't legit, it would drop the grade of the book substantially. There is no notation about the signature whatsoever on the label.

Thoughts? I'm ready to buy it now, but was hoping for clarification.

(PS - If this post is inappropriate here, let me know and I'll delete it.)

Post 1 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like an error by CGC. Maybe you can submit this to Bleeding Cool and they can run an article about the lack of professionalism at CGC. I would purchase the comic as if it's a qualified label, whatever you think that's worth. You can always send a message to the seller offering lower than what it's listed at.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I just emailed the seller and offered him $50, saying I'd take my chances going for the same grade at CBCS with a possible red label. We'll see what happens.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe an error by CGC. You could always buy it and resubmit it to CBCS to get the Schultz signature verified.

Another possibility - I don't understand people that do this, but some do - the sig might be on the CGC case. I've seen a few people have the case itself signed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Well, if the sig is on the case, I'm definitely not interested. I hadn't thought of that.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't "invest" in signatures. They are just a novelty to me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I, too, have started seeing people get cases signed instead of cracking/verifying. This would be a HUGE oversight by CGC. If that sig is on the comic it should either be a lowered grade or a green label. I'm guessing the person suggesting reporting to bleeding cool is making a joke? It seems like Bleeding cool drops negative CBCS articles regularly. I've never seen them report anything negative about CGC despite at least as many issues/failings as CBCS.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
You can ask cgc to give a blue label and they treat the signature as a defect.

Post 8 IP   flag post
I got a polite response from the seller after offering to buy it and take my chances for $50. His response was that his own shop's COA should suffice for signature verification and that "time will tell."

Am I the only one who puts ZERO stock in COAs from private shops?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Paint_Monk Not at all. A CoA is meaningless. Just about anyone can whip up a CoA in five minutes.

Even the ones that are real are garbage. Check out this actual CoA for Neal Adams' Batman 50 cover, with at least two typos.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
@Paint_Monk Not at all. A CoA is meaningless. Just about anyone can whip up a CoA in five minutes.

Even the ones that are real are garbage. Check out this actual CoA for Neal Adams' Batman 50 cover, with at least two typos.

I kind of figured I wasn't alone. Do casual buyers actually give those silly papers value? I find that almost hard to believe. If I was an unscrupulous seller, I could trace Stan Lee's signature and issue my own COA. It just seems almost like an immediate "used car salesman" scam (although I'm sure some legit sellers actually believe it helps!)
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
If that sig is on the comic it should either be a lowered grade...

Maybe it is >shrug< 9.6 is a 3 grade drop from a mint.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
If that sig is on the comic it should either be a lowered grade...

Maybe it is >shrug< 9.6 is a 3 grade drop from a mint.

If that was the case, it'd be a 9.8 or 9.9 red label and I'd pay his BIN price

I have other items and books signed by Schultz and it looks legit to me.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:

That cover layout looks familiar.

Post 14 IP   flag post
@X51 Ha! Didn't make that connection. I quit Ms. Mystic with issue 6 back in the day.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
@X51 Ha! Didn't make that connection. I quit Ms. Mystic with issue 6 back in the day.

I'm only a few issues away from having a complete collection of Continuity.

#9 had a similar cover.

Post 16 IP   flag post
597986 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?