Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCertified Comics For SaleComics Modern Age

USPS Fun9431

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Back in early March a customer bought five of my graded Walking Dead books for over $700.

They were five separate listings but I combined the shipping (USPS Priority Mail) to save my customer some money.

It seems that the book on the top or bottom of the box got the case cracked in transit and needs to be re-holdered.

During the claim process, my buyer was instructed to bring everything to his local post office for inspection. They not only took the damaged book and the packaging but for some unknown reason they also decided to hold onto the other four books.

After taking 60 days to reject my claim and an additional 30 days to grant my appeal I finally received the $60 I asked for.

After I negotiated the partial refund amount for combined shipping plus the $60 from USPS my customer informed me that USPS still has all of his books.

After a lengthy 20-30 telephone call I was told to send a hand written letter by mail requesting that my claim be changed from damaged item to repair even though the information I presented in the claim and the appeal clearly indicated that I was only asking for the amount it would cost to repair (re-holder) the one damaged item.

They said the customer could claim the other four undamaged slabs in the mean time but they could not call the local post office themselves. They said that my customer needed to have the local post office call them to confirm that it was OK to release the books.

At this point I am just going to jump through the final hoop and send the letter as requested but my temper is through the roof.

My customer has been so patient through all of this and I feel horrible that USPS treated him this way. If it was me I don't think I would have been cool with USPS trying to take the other four slabs in the first place.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I need to start adding these posts to a numbered list of reasons not to sell on eBay.
Sheesh!
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS

Stupid question. What's this got to do with Ebay? The entire problem seems to be the shipping company.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Back in early March a customer bought five of my graded Walking Dead books for over $700.

They were five separate listings but I combined the shipping (USPS Priority Mail) to save my customer some money.

It seems that the book on the top or bottom of the box got the case cracked in transit and needs to be re-holdered.

During the claim process, my buyer was instructed to bring everything to his local post office for inspection. They not only took the damaged book and the packaging but for some unknown reason they also decided to hold onto the other four books.

After taking 60 days to reject my claim and an additional 30 days to grant my appeal I finally received the $60 I asked for.
[snip]

Wow, that's awful. I have no idea why they would make it so difficult. I've only had to file one claim so far. I just sent a picture of the cracked holder, stated exactly how much it would cost to get it reholdered, and they approved it and sent me the money. I think it took a week or so?

I guess I just got lucky? Or maybe it's easier if you don't ask for the whole insured amount? Not sure. I think that particular package was insured for $200, but the claim was only $30 or $40.

I'm sorry you had to go through all that.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid Usually they just pay the claim but once in a while they decide to dig in their heels and make things difficult.

I attempted to send carefully worded instructions to my buyer but eBay blocked the message and put a stroke on my account for including the USPS accounting help desk phone number in my message.

Mailed off my hand written letter to USPS changing my claim category from "damaged item" to "repairs". I will call Monday to follow up.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Is there claim magic number $50.00 or less that they include with priority. How does it cost $60.00 to re-holder one book.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@MR_SigS

Stupid question. What's this got to do with Ebay? The entire problem seems to be the shipping company.

Not a stupid question, I should have stuck with my original thought.

I meant to limit it to just selling, period lol
And I'm referring to just me, not you guys. I wouldn't have my collection if people didn't sell comics.

I hear too many sad stories to make it worth my time. No point in doing it unless I have to.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@MR_SigS

Maybe it has to do with the receiver "who is an eBay customer" complaining about a crack in a piece of plastic, and the cost to fix the crack is a $60.00 claim. The post office may think its insurance fraud if they can't provide pictures that is was not like that before shipping.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Is there claim magic number $50.00 or less that they include with priority. How does it cost $60.00 to re-holder one book.

It is obviously better to spread shipping over multiple books but here are the numbers I gave to USPS on the appeal.

$15 re-holder fee
$5 invoice fee
$32 Return shipping

$52 - source CGC website
$13.20 Estimated cost to ship slab to CGC with insurance

$65.20 Total cost
Post 9 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
After watching a clumsy oaf at the post office drop a box with a slab I was shipping I now pack for that eventuality. Cardboard larger than the slab, bubble wrap and packing peanuts. No more than 2 book per flat rate box as well.

The book from that shipment was cracked when the buyer received it as I expected.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer

It is obviously better to spread shipping over multiple books but here are the numbers I gave to USPS on the appeal.

$15 re-holder fee
$5 invoice fee
$32 Return shipping

$52 - source CGC website
$13.20 Estimated cost to ship slab to CGC with insurance

$65.20 Total cost

OH! I forgot, I had sent mine via MyComicShop. Or rather, they just sent it in for me, and charged me $15. It wasn't to an eBay customer, but was cracked when they got it, in a shipment of comics to sell. The post office paid my claim for $34, but I don't remember the break-down. I guess I counted shipping, but ended up not having to pay it? I don't recall. I'll bet MCS gets quite a volume discount, perhaps on reholdering but definitely on shipping, etc. Certainly, they spread the invoice fee across a lot of comics.
Post 11 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS

Understood. Personally I dont sell. I plan to let my brother deal with selling when I kick the bucket. So I definitely hear you. However, some folks do this for a living. Although it's not my cup of tea, others may find it very gratifying.

@Homer

If I were to have a piece of merchandise damaged and not the way it was presented on the site, I would be slightly annoyed. To me that is making a trip out of my house to wait in line in some shipping place and yada yada yada...

I do commend @drchaos for doing the right thing and being straightforward and honest. Too many folks would take a shortcut for the easy fix. (Take the neg and s few the buyer)
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Bronte I have too many books to sell to try any funny business on any one deal. If you do right by your customers you not only get positive feedback but repeat business as well.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@drchaos

Very true. However. You would be surprised how many folks do not abide by that philosophy. (Well, maybe you wouldn't)

Regardless, let's hope your situation runs its course in a mutually beneficial way.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos sounds like a lot of work for $60. worth it?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@drchaos sounds like a lot of work for $60. worth it?

Not my money, every penny is going to the buyer.

More importantly there is absolutely no reason to reward USPS for bad behavior.

It is bad enough that they charge money to insure that they don't break your stuff. Most people are liable for their actions without making you pay "insurance" to protect you from their negligence.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector UrnoJedi private msg quote post Address this user
this is exactly the reason (I've had this happen too) i sent my Kirby signed book to CBCS via UPS ground. takes a bit longer and costs a few more bucks but i know it has a better chance of getting there safe and if i have to file a claim it won't be as hard. USPS is really bad now days.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrnoJedi
this is exactly the reason (I've had this happen too) i sent my Kirby signed book to CBCS via UPS ground. takes a bit longer and costs a few more bucks but i know it has a better chance of getting there safe and if i have to file a claim it won't be as hard. USPS is really bad now days.

I work in a receiving department as a quality inspector. I have to collect all the documentation and take pictures for freight claims. It's VERY annoying to do.
UPS is hands down the worst carrier to choose. I asked one of their drivers to quit throwing boxes with $5,000 circuit boards from the middle of his truck onto the concrete floor of our dock. He ignored me and kept doing it. I reminded him that our dock has cameras on it documenting what he was doing. He kept doing it. Then he requested to be taken off our route going forward which meant he could do it at other businesses. Hell would freeze over before I chose UPS.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
I can say from experience USPS is all fine and cool until something goes wrong than it's a nightmare Fedex is 10x worse though
Post 19 IP   flag post
598102 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?