Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help Needed

Help grade ASM 300 Spider-man9409

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Need help grading this book so that I can put a good grade on it when I offer it for sale this week. Lays perfectly flat

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I wanna say maybe a 3.0-4.0
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 3 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I’m thinking 4.0
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Post 5 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
It's a modern, so they'll be tough on those color breaks. I'd say a 4.5 or 5.0, but if you sell it raw, you should advertise as a "Very Good" or you'll get hammered.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Looks pretty rough. 3.0 - 3.5 in my book.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
I'm gonna go with a 3.5
Post 8 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
It's a modern, so they'll be tough on those color breaks. I'd say a 4.5 or 5.0, but if you sell it raw, you should advertise as a "Very Good" or you'll get hammered.

these sound like wise words. this was the first ASM 300 I bought then I ponied up and bought one in much better condition for 20 dollars about 4 years ago and forgot about this one till a couple of days ago when I found it while looking for books to sell.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid

these sound like wise words. this was the first ASM 300 I bought then I ponied up and bought one in much better condition for 20 dollars about 4 years ago and forgot about this one till a couple of days ago when I found it while looking for books to sell.

If you can wait, I think I would get it pressed and graded before selling? I dunno, maybe. Might not get you much, in the end ... I've just never sold this comic, and I'm still shocked it goes for so much.

Well, correction: I've not sold it in the last 25 years. I had two copies off the shelf, I sold along with a dozen others in that run, about two or three years after they came out. The 300 was a HUGE print run. So $1000 prices are just bizarre to me. I was happy to get $90 off the set.

Anyway, you might do alright. It looks like even low-grade copies sell for quite a lot. I saw a graded 5.5 sold on eBay for $200. And a raw worse than yours sold for around $150. Maybe you'll do fine, with the ambiguity and people HOPING it's better condition than other bidders do? At any rate, do post good pics - even better than the ones here - so they aren't surprised by, say, the color-breaking diagonal fold on the front cover that you can barely see.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@tedsaid, i usually post around 11 pics of any books i sell on E-bay so that there is no confusion. i just don't here because of the size the initial post would end up. I appreciate the advice though, i will take any advice that will help me sell this book for more and will keep me out of trouble with nutty buyers. I was hoping to get about 250 for it. any advise from anyone if it is better to auction or buy it know? I need all the help i can get
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@tedsaid, i usually post around 11 pics of any books i sell on E-bay so that there is no confusion. i just don't here because of the size the initial post would end up. I appreciate the advice though, i will take any advice that will help me sell this book for more and will keep me out of trouble with nutty buyers. I was hoping to get about 250 for it. any advise from anyone if it is better to auction or buy it know? I need all the help i can get
I don't have advice for how to get $250 out of this comic. To me...it might be a $60.00 book for someone who just wants a key. You can always put it up somewhere for $250 and see what sticks, but at this exact moment you can get a graded 8.0 for under $300 (technically around $310 after shipping), and there are several graded 7.0s for $300 or less. I also see some 4.5 and 5.5 for around the $300 mark, but no one in their right mind is going to buy such a low grade when you can get an 8.0 for the same price.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
I don't have advice for how to get $250 out of this comic. To me...it might be a $60.00 book for someone who just wants a key. You can always put it up somewhere for $250 and see what sticks, but at this exact moment you can get a graded 8.0 for under $300 (technically around $310 after shipping), and there are several graded 7.0s for $300 or less. I also see some 4.5 and 5.5 for around the $300 mark, but no one in their right mind is going to buy such a low grade when you can get an 8.0 for the same price.

Most folks agree it is probably a 4.0 but even at a 3.5 I imagine it could get 200 for it. I will test the waters, i don't need to sell it It's just a duplicate. It has not cutouts and lays flat. i looked up cgc grading and it might be even better than a 4, if i am interpreting the hyrogliphs correctly.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Most folks agree it is probably a 4.0 but even at a 3.5 I imagine it could get 200 for it. I will test the waters, i don't need to sell it It's just a duplicate. It has not cutouts and lays flat. i looked up cgc grading and it might be even better than a 4, if i am interpreting the hyrogliphs correctly.
I think people are low on their estimates due to it being a modern. A comic that looks like this from the 60s and doesn't have brittle pages might press to a 5.0-5.5. Not sure this one would.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think people are low on their estimates due to it being a modern. A comic that looks like this from the 60s and doesn't have brittle pages might press to a 5.0-5.5. Not sure this one would.

I saw a 2.5 on MCS for 220 so I figured 250 was not out of the question but I like your points. I will try at 250 then come down from there. I am probably 10 dollars into the book so whatever i get is gravy.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Meh, a lot of people refuse to use ebay; I do not, so that's always my basis of comparison. It doesn't cost anything to put it up for sale at $250 for a while and it not sell, especially if you're in no hurry. But I'd definitely avoid ebay as there's too many comparable price-range better copies available.
Post 16 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
no way this is a 4.5 - 5.0 book.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It's a newsstand version... correct?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
no way this is a 4.5 - 5.0 book.

Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide disagrees with you.

quote "Very Good (VG) (3.5 to 4.5)
The average used comic book. A comic book in this grade shows some wear and can have a reading or center crease, as well as a moderately rolled spine, but has not accumulated enough total defects to reduce eye appeal to the point that it is no longer a desirable copy. Some discoloration, fading, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a quarter-inch triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge. A missing square piece (1/8" by 1/8" is also acceptable. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Cover and interior pages can have some minor tears and folds, and the centerfold may be detached at one staple. The cover may also be loose, but not completely detached. Common bindery and printing defects do not affect the grade. Pages and inside covers may be brown but not brittle. Tape should never be used for comic book repair; however, many Very Good- condition comic books have minor tape repair."

my book doesn't have tears tape major creases, loose cover. while I agree with you that maybe it shouldn't grade that high and I wouldn't list it that high it falls well within that range.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
It's a newsstand version... correct?

correct.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort - Good luck with your sale. Is there a stain at the top of the cover (around the second 300) that's also visible on the inside cover?
Post 21 IP   flag post
I noticed that in the picture too, I should've looked at it after I noticed it but got distracted (shiny object) and forgot. I will take a look tonight and update but I think so.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I hope you're right but below are very quick examples why I think this is a 3.5 maybe 3.0.

dents, stains, blunted corners, colour breaking creases, colour breaking spine tears and ticks and scraped/torn paper. this is just what I see from your scans. under a microscope itll likely pick up more.

Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I hope you're right but below are very quick examples why I think this is a 3.5 maybe 3.0.

dents, stains, blunted corners, colour breaking creases, colour breaking spine tears and ticks and scraped/torn paper. this is just what I see from your scans. under a microscope itll likely pick up more.

Post 24 IP   flag post
I actually agree with you. but going by overstreet I think i have a case. but I am with you in the sense that i would't pay over 200 but MCS has a 2.5 for that wich again I wouldn't buy but you never know what people are looking for and i hope someone is interested my book, if not I will price it lower trade it with someone that has something I am interested in. Thanks for your reply and diligence.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Asking A price and getting it are two different ideas...….look at completed sales on ebay for instance …...
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Asking A price and getting it are two different ideas...….look at completed sales on ebay for instance …...

couldn't agree more. One can dream can't one?

p.s. you think I'm crazy? someone paid 40 dollars for a "true believers" reprint, what the????
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t have easy access to the back images and these aren’t moderns but here are some CBCS graded books that helped me come to my estimate

Post 28 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite, I actually tend to agree with your assesment but I am used to Overstreet rules more so than what CGC & CBCS have created since they went rogue with their 10 point system but i digress, this leaves me at a quandry as Overstreet seems more generous with their grading and CGC & i'm guessining CBCS don't explain their grading well at all. but I respect your opinion and even more so by backing it up with rad books like those you've posted.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
@dielinfinite, I actually tend to agree with your assesment but I am used to Overstreet rules more so than what CGC & CBCS have created since they went rogue with their 10 point system but i digress, this leaves me at a quandry as Overstreet seems more generous with their grading and CGC & i'm guessining CBCS don't explain their grading well at all. but I respect your opinion and even more so by backing it up with rad books like those you've posted.

https://www.cbcscomics.com/grades
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?