Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, we all know it is a gimmick number. Yet, I'd bet that most Marvel fans will end up buying one anyways. So, first off, What is your favorite cover so far?? And then, can someone explain to me how Midtown is selling the Clayton Crain incentive cover (Previews # JUN190857) for $42.50 while DCBS offers it for $200???? Seriously???

Here are some of the covers so far. I'm liking the Brooks 1940's cover.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Andrews cover looks good to me so far.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@southerncross The Andrews one is a VERY close second choice for me. I actually haven't ordered any yet. I'm still debating.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O dcbs used to be cheapest with ratios until 2 years ago where they started to increase prices significant. just like stadium used to be cheapest but now slowly are increasing their prices
Post 5 IP   flag post
@poka At more than 4 times the price of Midtown, I'm wondering if they just don't want to be bothered with ratios. I believe they have to order so many regular copies to get a ratio cover. I'm wondering if they got burnt with so many regular covers that they can't move, that they decided to basically charge the customer for what they have to order to get a ratio. That way, they are not losing anything if they have to sit on the regular covers.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector BrotherKenneth private msg quote post Address this user
That's exactly what they do. They do that with most if not all the ratio variants.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@BrotherKenneth ok - that makes sense to me then. I'm not a ratio chaser and never really thought about preorders for them. So when I saw those prices on a book that isn't even out yet, it threw me for a loop. But when I stopped and looked at it from a business standpoint, it made sense. Midtown has a larger customer base and can move back stock faster than DCBS, or at least I'd assume they can. So it's less of a risk factor for them. Hence, they can have a lower preorder price and still come out ahead.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector pokecollectoramy private msg quote post Address this user
I pre-ordered the brooks 40s and the incentive Bartel. Very nice covers

here's the bartel: https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JUN190858
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
The Brooks cover looks like a winner to me
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@JLS_Comics Yeah. The Brooks cover is the best so far.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@BrotherKenneth ok - that makes sense to me then. I'm not a ratio chaser and never really thought about preorders for them. So when I saw those prices on a book that isn't even out yet, it threw me for a loop. But when I stopped and looked at it from a business standpoint, it made sense. Midtown has a larger customer base and can move back stock faster than DCBS, or at least I'd assume they can. So it's less of a risk factor for them. Hence, they can have a lower preorder price and still come out ahead.

One of the, I dunno ... "controversies" with incentive covers right now are with these boutique shops that have sprung up, to do the "store" variants. Places like The Comic Mint, or Frankie's Comics, etc. The ones that only order a handful of cool covers or spec issues each month, sell the crap out of them (with bulk discounts), and commission variant covers of big issues (Or - if it's Marvel - just random issues) to sell for $10 - $50 each. They work with the biggest names and best artists, and are a big reason why special comics can have nearly 100 variant covers out there. Even a few artists, such as Mike Mayhew or Artgerm, have started making their own variants and have their own stores to sell them.

Anyway, it turns out, these stores often get the variants, too. Say they do a special cover for Daredevil #50 or something. Usually, it's 2000 copies of the Trade Dress, then maybe 1500 of the B&W "sketch" cover, and 1000 of the Virgin. So that's 4500 copies of one book. If there's a 1:100 incentive for that book, then suddenly they get 45 copies of that, too. And 90 copies of the 1:50, 450 (if they want) of the 1:10, and even 9 copies of the 1:500.

Some people think they shouldn't get access to these, that only comics stores that routinely order ALL the comics EVERY month should get these incentives. So that's what the argument is about.

Needless to say, these places don't really care about the incentive covers. For them, it's just a bonus. So maybe they sell them outright to their customers, or the "insider's group" of customers; or maybe they seed them across mystery boxes; or whatever. It's just an unexpected bonus ... frosting on the $100,000 cake.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I will not get getting this issue. I’m out.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector NightRelic private msg quote post Address this user
With 80 creative teams I can't imagine a cohesive, satisfying story and if it's 80 separate stories that won't work very well either. And then I start asking the question, "Why?" And it starts to feel like Action/ Detective envy and sour grapes. So, I will likely not buy any.

As far as cover I like the main cover the best. But if I had the choice, I would go for the DC gay kiss variant. Can't believe they released that image. Good thing for them someone caught it and said something before they went to press.
Post 14 IP   flag post
600782 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?