Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone ever buy from these guys on a regular basis?

metropoliscomics.com

Is it another horror show like New Kadia or is it good?

All their terms and conditions if you should need to return anything is kinda putting me off.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
my experience has been this: if you buy something from them and send it in for grading, expect a full grade lower

selection is great, shipping is great, they will work with you some, no issues buying slabbed

again, my experience
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I've bought 3 books from them with no problems.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector gmellos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49
my experience has been this: if you buy something from them and send it in for grading, expect a full grade lower

selection is great, shipping is great, they will work with you some, no issues buying slabbed

again, my experience
i bought my JIM 83 from then back 2004-5 they graded it FN- 5.5 when i finally got it graded it came back 5.0 so I get it. My Hulk 182 came back a full grade lower too so they are liberal on their grades
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a bronze age book from them which was listed at 9.2, but the book I received was much so much lower I couldn't justify sending it in to grade, roughly a 5.5 or 6. Also couldn't justify paying the return shipping for the grade difference. Very disappointing overall, so I won't buy from them again. I called it lesson learned and moved on.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnied
I bought a bronze age book from them which was listed at 9.2, but the book I received was much so much lower I couldn't justify sending it in to grade, roughly a 5.5 or 6. Also couldn't justify paying the return shipping for the grade difference. Very disappointing overall, so I won't buy from them again. I called it lesson learned and moved on.
ive learned that unless you trust the seller you only buy graded books from them.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
Anyone ever buy from these guys on a regular basis?

metropoliscomics.com

Is it another horror show like New Kadia or is it good?

All their terms and conditions if you should need to return anything is kinda putting me off.

One thing you need to be aware of is that their grades are qualified grades so read the description of the comic carefully. A grade may be 4.0 but then description will say incomplete. Missing a page.

Other than that I have bought from them several times.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Well i mostly buy from Superworld Comics, SoCal Comics and Comics N Stuff so ive never had issues but again grading IS subjective
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector GeeWiz private msg quote post Address this user
I've purchased a few slabbed books from them without any issues whatsoever. In fact I was even able to negotiate on the prices a little. I have never bought raw however so I cannot comment to that.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I have gotten some nice raw books from them, but it is very hit and miss. I had to return some books on my last order, as they were just simply way overgraded. Customer service was very prompt and hassle free on the returned books.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I buy from Metropolis all the time but I usually pick up my purchases instead of having them shipped.

Their grading is pretty good but I do not think they do enough to police the grades on the consignments they receive.

I currently have about 700 slabbed or tightly graded raw listings with them through consignment but I have bought some loosely graded books in their auctions now and then.

They are one of the bigger auction houses and have been around for a long time so their customer service is very good.

If you ever visit their offices check out the original art on their walls, it is like a museum.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
I have gotten some nice raw books from them, but it is very hit and miss. I had to return some books on my last order, as they were just simply way overgraded. Customer service was very prompt and hassle free on the returned books.

I agree with this..."hit and miss". I ordered a couple comics recently in 8.5 condition and I would say they are more like a 7.0/7.5. I ordered an FF #159 a couple of years ago that was listed in 8.5 and it looks to me like a 9.2/9.4. I have never returned a comic but good to know their customer service is hassle free.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Mixed bag for me. I've purchased 9.0's that came back 8.0 and 8.5. The worst was one they listed as 9.4 that graded 8.5. It was not cheap either and I paid a premium expecting the 9.4.

I did have one winner on a hot pre code horror book. They listed as 3.0 and came back 5.0.

If you are looking at a high dollar book I would request front and back scans so you can make your own judgement.

They have a great selection of books though.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Bought tons of books off them over the years. Back in 2005 bought Avengers 4 in good condition. Had color touch on the cover. Customer service was excellent. Told me to send the book back and they replaced with a very good condition non color touched copy. I have bought books that dropped 2 points when they were third party graded. But these were not your common marvel or DC book. And I purchased books that were exactly to cgc grade like Boston copy of TTA 82 in NM- that came back 9.2.
What I have found buying online from dealers is you get what you pay for.
If you're buying a low grade minor key and it's $50 under guide for the grade. You can bet good money you're not getting that assigned graded raw book for a discount.
Remembering that you will always be accepting exactly what you pay for.
Post 14 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like I’m sticking with Mycomicshop.
I’ve yet to experience and haven’t hear about people getting over-graded or undisclosed restoration from them.
Is Metropolis typically cheaper or what?
Post 15 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I’ve yet to experience and haven’t hear about people getting over-graded or undisclosed restoration from them.

I only started buying from My Comic Shop within the last two years. They tend under grade but I bought a Turok Son of Stone # 3 for roughly $75 and the grade while otherwise accurate did not take some interior damage into account (not visible in the scans).

Auctions by their nature are a rush job, especially when consignment books are included. For this reason I think that auction books are not graded with the same time and care as fixed price listings for any of the auction houses.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh

I only started buying from My Comic Shop within the last two years. They tend under grade but I bought a Turok Son of Stone # 3 for roughly $75 and the grade while otherwise accurate did not take some interior damage into account (not visible in the scans).

Auctions by their nature are a rush job, especially when consignment books are included. For this reason I think that auction books are not graded with the same time and care as fixed price listings for any of the auction houses.
speaking only for MCS I have bought maybe 3-4 thousand books from them the past several years and find the precise reverse to be true.
. I always wondered if the auction used different graders than the consignments and in stock items use. My auction buys are generally slightly to highly undergraded as opposed to buying from on hand books which always appear to be overgraded
When I submit books for sale or to consign they generally grade very strictly and lower the assigned grades ( even books originally sourced through them at a higher grade)

PS I have found raw books I get from Metropolis are always rougher than expected for the three I have bought. You can view the ultra high resolution scans and see the books are graded losely. ...or hang what I call.now " east coast grading" due to them
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I do not think Metropolis is as bad as Newkadia, whom I will never buy from again. I do think they over grade and their shipping is not particularly fast. Also, their prices are not cheap by any stretch. I definitely prefer MCS: While their prices are often high, I never once felt like I didn’t get what I paid for.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I've never had a problem with Newkadia or MCS. I've only bought run fillers from Newkadia, and they've shipped fast, and packaged well. MCS has always been spot-on for me. I've ordered once from Metropolis, back in 2015. It was fine, but I think it took about a week to ship out, but once shipped, it went quick.
Post 19 IP   flag post
It may make a difference what type of books you are buying. All the comics I bought from Newkadia and Metropolis were golden age books and every single one was overgraded. In the case of Newkadia, severely overgraded. Most of the golden age books I bought from MCS were either slabbed or undergraded. The other companies’ books may be better graded if you are looking for moderns, I don’t know. I do know I have bought hundreds of books from MCS covering everything from golden age to the 1980s and you could easily count on one hand the number of comics where I thought the grade was questionable.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Metropolis is NO WHERE near the worst seller out there. I wont buy from Harley Yee or Mile high cause I think they over price their books in the past but that is just me. We all have our choice dealers and dealer we stay away from.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I won't buy off Harley after buying a book at a Brisbane convention many years ago and found it incomplete. Since then I know of a collector that bought a pricey timely book off him and that was missing a few pages.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
I won't buy off Harley after buying a book at a Brisbane convention many years ago and found it incomplete. Since then I know of a collector that bought a pricey timely book off him and that was missing a few pages.

Interesting. I have talked to Harley at the Motor City Con but have never actually bought from him as he never seems to have what I am looking for. I will definitely keep that in mind though. As for Mile High, I don’t recall any problems with their grading, but I agree that their prices are flat out nuts. They seem to price them at triple guide and then have half off sales. Even if you catch the sale you are still paying more than the book is reasonably worth.
Post 23 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a copy of detective comics 168 from Harley Yee.

After a month, I get a refund in PayPal and it wasnt for sale email.

So. Pissed. That is still one of the only books I truly desire but cant find a copy of.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I bought a copy of detective comics 168 from Harley Yee.

After a month, I get a refund in PayPal and it wasnt for sale email.

So. Pissed. That is still one of the only books I truly desire but cant find a copy of.

I bet he sold it for more money.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Quote:

Interesting. I have talked to Harley at the Motor City Con but have never actually bought from him as he never seems to have what I am looking for. I will definitely keep that in mind though. As for Mile High, I don’t recall any problems with their grading, but I agree that their prices are flat out nuts. They seem to price them at triple guide and then have half off sales. Even if you catch the sale you are still paying more than the book is reasonably worth.

Mile High has been riding off that pedigree they discovered.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmellos
Quote:
Quote:

I think he prices all his books like they're from the Edgar Church collection.
Maybe he is ticked off that he didn't put the action 1 in his collection when he originally sold the church books
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think he prices all his books like they're from the Edgar Church collection.
Maybe he is ticked off that he didn't put the action 1 in his collection when he originally sold the church books

Haha! All I know is that I have NOT bought anything from them for over 15 years simply because they are insane when pricing their books.

IF they make money? Good on them but they ain't making money off me
Post 28 IP   flag post
Question to all of you, what's your take on Torpedo Comics?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Its that second collection/warehouse find he made that has kept him in business riding the wave more or less.....
Post 30 IP   flag post
597906 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?