Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

Detective Comics 27 9.6 WOW934

Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user

This was graded sometime last week. Simply amazing restored copy.
Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
What's something like that worth being it's restored?
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Who did the restoration? Quite amazing!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Scipio2000 private msg quote post Address this user
If that were a legitimate, un-restored DC 27, it would be at least $3 million.

The value depends on the extent of the restoration, I should think. But, if you have a DC 27, why in the holy hell would you even get it restored if you had a 4+ copy?

I think you could possible get several hundred thousand for that copy, at least.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Wow. Sweetbook. And a highlight of how horrible that label is.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 I know Dave and Adam's card world has Moderatly CGC 9.4 listed fir 595.000. Here is a picture

Here is link to the webpage:

http://www.dacardworld.com/comic-books/the-guide-to-detective-comics-27

My guess that the CBCS 9.6 would be around 500k.
Post 6 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@Scipio2000 excatly. Just can't touch a restored book. Would rather have a comic in original condition in a much lesser grade.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam my guess is IGB Corp. did the restoration, but I am not sure.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
I would guess that the book is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. If you get that one rich guy with more money on his hands anything else, and he's adamant comic book collector, you never know what the book will fetch.
Regardless, it is a beautiful book!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Scipio2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzebac
@earthshaker01 I know Dave and Adam's card world has Moderatly CGC 9.4 listed fir 595.000. Here is a picture

"Moderately restored" is the key phrase. And, nobody's paid that price for it.

An unrestored 8.0 pedigree copy sold for $1 million in 2010, and it was listed at guide for $250,000.

A true, unrestored 9.6 copy of DC 27 would sell for more than the 9.0 Action #1 that went for over $3 million, IMHO.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Scipio2000 I totally agree that an unrestored Tec 27 9.6 would sell for more than the 9.0 Action 1 that went for 3 million.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer un-restored but there are a few exceptions and this would be one. Its a gorgeous copy. Let's see where the price goes on this one.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio
Wow. Sweetbook. And a highlight of how horrible that label is.

What label?
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
What was the condition of that book before the restoration?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
When I see a rare book like this pop up, freshly slabbed (new CBCS label and logo) I wonder where it came from. Was it in someone's collection these past few decades, and the collector just decided to have it graded?

Many of these old comics have interesting stories, and sometimes these stories are just as interesting and incredible as the comic itself. It just makes me wonder, why the current owner decided to have it slabbed now.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
The restoration may be recent.
I agree, it would be interesting to know if this was always raw and restored until CBCS came along, or if this was perhaps a CGC CRR to CBCS
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle129 private msg quote post Address this user
I like how on such an expensive book CBCS can't even get the label the right size look how the rivets and top CBCS are above the label section. Look how the left side half a rivet is down and on the right size the whole rivet is up. I just received a couple like this and thought ok on a $50-100 book but this is a six figure book. Way to go quality control.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Lunarshade private msg quote post Address this user
If it was unrestored it goes for 5 million easy in todays market.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector svgcomics181 private msg quote post Address this user
the new labels look purplish blue, funny how some people were asking for a purple label, now we have one, lets hope it doesnt confuse some buyers on ebay when they see a purplish blue label, they might think its restored lol
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Deckard private msg quote post Address this user
From the collecting perspective of this is your comic and you can do whatever you want with it; anything is possible and I would surely never pass judgment.

But from an investment/speculation perspective this makes no logical sense in my worthless humble opinion. Say hypothetically this comic slabbed out 5.5 unrestored. It would still easily blow through $1M.

Remember you can argue all you want about AC1 vs. Tec27 but the reality is on the supply side, the available inventory/float on Tec27 is much thinner. If and when the next unrestored Tec27 mid grade shows up for bidding, allot of folks are going to be very surprised at where the hammer price lands.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard
From the collecting perspective of this is your comic and you can do whatever you want with it; anything is possible and I would surely never pass judgment.

But from an investment/speculation perspective this makes no logical sense in my worthless humble opinion. Say hypothetically this comic slabbed out 5.5 unrestored. It would still easily blow through $1M.

Reading the label notes, there's no way this book was a 5.5 before being restored. Plus, you'd have to be bat-shit insane to restore a 5.5 copy.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:

Reading the label notes, there's no way this book was a 5.5 before being restored. Plus, you'd have to be bat-shit insane to restore a 5.5 copy.

You would think that in theory but reality sometimes ---->

Did you happen to catch the very recent AC1 slabbed FN- that sold with buyers premium for just under $1M @ HA? That was actually formerly a 7.5 slabbed PLOD.

Granted above AC1 is a freak occurrence and extremely unique but you never know sometimes what you can possibly find. And also as you alluded to, quite often PLODS are most likely not going to be a reversal candidate.

And lastly as you mentioned per grade notes, given the extent of resto done on that Tec27 I don't think it would fetch as much as some folks think. And more than likely would trade at its blue label counterpart which would be a lower grade more than likely at best.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:

You would think that in theory but reality sometimes ---->

Did you happen to catch the very recent AC1 slabbed FN- that sold with buyers premium for just under $1M @ HA? That was actually formerly a 7.5 slabbed PLOD.

But that's the exact opposite of what we have here.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD

But that's the exact opposite of what we have here.

Well right....Maybe I did not make it clear enough but that was my point in the last paragraph of the above post.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector woowoo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The 9.4 looks better
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio2000
Quote:

"Moderately restored" is the key phrase. And, nobody's paid that price for it.

An unrestored 8.0 pedigree copy sold for $1 million in 2010, and it was listed at guide for $250,000.

A true, unrestored 9.6 copy of DC 27 would sell for more than the 9.0 Action #1 that went for over $3 million, IMHO.

Over 5 mil a true 9.6. I would say a 9.0 unrestored Tec 27 would sell for over 3 mil
Post 26 IP   flag post
@woowoo Harold what are you doing over here? I thought you only liked the CGC boards.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Hey bud. I heard they did Davidmerry wrong so i went over here to try and find info why and i love Tec 27
Post 28 IP   flag post
@woowoo lol. Welcome to the boards Harold
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Kinzebac

Thanks
Post 30 IP   flag post
600833 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?