Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

DC Rebranding as DC Kids, DC and DC Black Label!!!9335

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC news release
DC DOUBLES DOWN ON ITS BRAND, UNITES ALL PUBLISHING UNDER...
Beginning in 2020
All Content will be Organized Under Three Age-Specific Labels:
DC Kids, DC and DC Black Label

Vertigo Publishing Imprint to be Sunset at the End of the Year

DC announced today that beginning in 2020, all of its publishing content will be organized and marketed under the DC brand, creating three age-specific labels – DC Kids, DC and DC Black Label – that would absorb all of its existing imprints and focus DC’s publishing content around characters and stories that evolve and mature along with the awareness and sensibilities of DC’s readers. As a result of this new labeling strategy, DC will sunset the Vertigo publishing imprint at the end of the year.

The new segmentation, featuring the new age rating system, will launch in January 2020. Books currently being published under the recently launched DC Zoom and DC Ink imprints, which are focused on the middle grade and young adult segments, respectively, will be assigned to the DC Kids and DC labels depending on the content and intended audiences.

“We’re returning to a singular presentation of the DC brand that was present throughout most of our history until 1993 when we launched Vertigo to provide an outlet for edgier material,” said DC Publisher Dan DiDio. “That kind of material is now mainstream across all genres, so we thought it was the right time to bring greater clarity to the DC brand and reinforce our commitment to storytelling for all of our fans in every age group. This new system will replace the age ratings we currently use on our material.”

The three labels will be structured as follows:

DC Kids will focus on readers ages 8-12 and offer content created specifically for the middle-grade reader
DC, focusing on ages 13+, will primarily be the current DC universe of characters
DC Black Label will focus on content appropriate for readers 17 and older
“What we’ve done here is apply an ages and stages organizing philosophy that will strengthen what we’re already doing well, whether that is our move into the young adult and middle grade audience or our long track record of success with creator-driven pop-up lines,” said DC Publisher and Chief Creative Officer Jim Lee. “We will also continue to publish creator-owned projects, and will evaluate and assign to the appropriate label to help our fans find the best books for their interests. These new labels not only bring greater consistency and focus to our characters, but they also open up a wealth of new opportunities for the talent working on our books.”

Link
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
The writing's kind of been on the wall. Vertigo has been basically all but dead since Berger left. Image has essentially become what Vertigo was at its best.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Well, this is just dumb. Vertigo was a good brand, one they've spent some effort creating and maintaining. Not just edgier, but also, generally, outside of continuity. And the JUST created DC Wonder! A new brand for kids and young adults, but one that doesn't have the stigma of saying "Kids" on it. And Black Label was also just created. A new label that was supposed to be sort of WAY adult ... as in, not just "edgy," like Vertigo, but completely open to higher levels of sex and violence and adult themes. That's the whole point of having an oversize comic ... to show it's different than anything that came before.

But now they've mumbled all those up, and created three boring and inadequate labels. What a bone-headed move.

I'd say these labels will be gone within a year, but I'm not sure they are smart enough to gauge and assess. They are probably stubborn enough to keep it this way for awhile, no matter what happens. Especially if this is just some exec trying to make his mark ... someone who is therefore not interested in knowing if it DOESN'T work, but is VERY interested in gaslighting everyone to pretend it DOES work.

Yeah. I bet that's it. Someone was probably just promoted to his level of incompetence, and now he's proving it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Marximus private msg quote post Address this user
Kids read comics?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Great. [Sarcasm]

I expect a creator to slip some "black label" content into the "13+" line and then watch comic collectors rush to get them.

I think an 8+ line is all they need. Tell stories that appeal to all ages. Make an 8 year old grab a dictionary. He might learn something. I remember reading a comic Stan Lee wrote when I was 9 years old. I had to go look up the word "albeit" to see what it meant. If they hook a kid at that age and tell ongoing stories that evolve and aren't stupid, they'll have adults interested just as I am.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I think this part is the most pertinent:

“We’re returning to a singular presentation of the DC brand that was present throughout most of our history until 1993 when we launched Vertigo to provide an outlet for edgier material,” said DC Publisher Dan DiDio. “That kind of material is now mainstream across all genres, so we thought it was the right time to bring greater clarity to the DC brand and reinforce our commitment to storytelling for all of our fans in every age group. This new system will replace the age ratings we currently use on our material.”

To me, that says that the DC Kids will be like 1980's DC, DC will be like Vertigo and DC Black Label will be more adult with graphic violence, swearing and partial nudity. If they go that way, I see it as a major reinventing and I can see it being successful.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I like it
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I think this part is the most pertinent:

To me, that says that the DC Kids will be like 1980's DC, DC will be like Vertigo and DC Black Label will be more adult with graphic violence, swearing and partial nudity. If they go that way, I see it as a major reinventing and I can see it being successful.

Technically, he's saying that Vertigo was their outlet for edgier material. I read this to mean that DC kids will be something along the lines of Batman Adventures or Spidey Super Stories. DC's 13+ material will be along the lines of Action Comics in the 70's and 80's. DC's black label will replace Vertigo. I don't need to see superheroes with graphic violence. They are supposed to be above that.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I take it as him saying that edgier content like Vertigo is more mainstream now. Which I agree with. Therefore, their mainstream label - DC - will be edgier, like Vertigo. What was Edgy in 1993 is mainstream now. Times have changed and they are revamping to change with it. Titles like Lucifer, Sandman, Swamp Thing, Y: the last man, 100 bullets, Preacher, etc are all mainstream now published mostly by indie publishers. Teens and young adults are reading stuff like Saga, Deadly class, Unnatural, Redneck, Regression etc. Standards have changed, thanks in large part to indie publishers. DC wants their piece of the pie.
Post 9 IP   flag post
That's not what I get out of it.

Yes, he said the edgier stuff is more mainstream, but this shift is only intended to clarify the brand into three "DC" branded categories.

He said:
DC Kids will focus on readers ages 8-12 and offer content created specifically for the middle-grade reader
DC, focusing on ages 13+, will primarily be the current DC universe of characters
DC Black Label will focus on content appropriate for readers 17 and older

In other words, they don't like the Vertigo imprint. They want it to be the DC brand. The edgier stuff will be "DC black label".
Post 10 IP   flag post
Key word there is primarily. Of course they are going to keep the DCU stuff going. But it wouldn't surprise me if we see titles like Vertigo had: Sandman, Preacher, etc, get put under the DC label next year. Just my thoughts. I could be totally off.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm sure that Vertigo characters being introduced into TV and film projects has completely baffled the marketing people at Warner Bros.

I imagine the marketing dept. talking to Dan Didio....
"It's DC right? Can't we use the DC logo in the credits? We own it right? Why don't the comics say DC?"
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Key word there is primarily. Of course they are going to keep the DCU stuff going. But it wouldn't surprise me if we see titles like Vertigo had: Sandman, Preacher, etc, get put under the DC label next year. Just my thoughts. I could be totally off.

You interpretation is slightly skewed by your desires.

Otherwise, we read the same thing.
Post 13 IP   flag post
It's hard to find data, but one chart that I found states that 600,000 people under the age of 17 were Walking Dead viewers. I'm thinking the actual number is higher because I know a few teens that were massive Walking Dead fans but they watched with their parents. If Dc had done TWD in the late 90's, it would have been a Vertigo title. Now, I have to wonder. Things changed drastically for American youth after 9-11. What was edgy then, isn't now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

You interpretation is slightly skewed by your desires.

Otherwise, we read the same thing.

I will openly admit that is a possibility!!!! LMAO!!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Just remember that a pessimist is never disappointed.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Just remember that a pessimist is never disappointed.

LOL!!!! I can't help myself!!! I'm the eternal optimist, romantic and dreamer!!! I kind of like it that way. And actually, the joy of occasionally being right outweighs any disappointment I might feel at being wrong. And I get to have hope in my life!!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It's hard to find data, but one chart that I found states that 600,000 people under the age of 17 were Walking Dead viewers. I'm thinking the actual number is higher because I know a few teens that were massive Walking Dead fans but they watched with their parents. If Dc had done TWD in the late 90's, it would have been a Vertigo title. Now, I have to wonder. Things changed drastically for American youth after 9-11. What was edgy then, isn't now.

I think I missed something here ... why would DC or Vertigo publish The Walking Dead? It's an Image comic book. Hasn't it always been Image?
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid I was using that as an example of what would have been edgy in the 90's and is now mainstream. Yes, TWD is an Image title.
Post 18 IP   flag post
601230 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?