Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help NeededQuestions

Is it worth it for me?9329

Collector William private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,

I have 43 books from the 1992-1994 time frame.

Comics | Title and Number

Jzink | The Rockmeez #1
Jzink | The Rockmeez #2
Marvel | Wolverine #50
Marvel | Cable #1
Marvel | Cable #2
Marvel | Cable #3
Marvel | Cable Blood and Metal #1
Marvel | Cable Blood and Metal #2
Marvel | X-Men Adventures #7
Wizard | Superman Tribute Edition
Wizard | Superman Tribute Edition (unopened with trading card)
Image | Spawn #1
Image | Spawn #2
Image | Spawn #3
Image | Spawn #4
Image | Spawn #5
Image | Spawn #6
Image | Spawn #7
Image | Spawn #8
Image | Spawn #9
Image | Spawn #10
Valiant| Shadow Man #15
Image | Shaman's Tears #1
Valiant| Turok Dinosaur Hunter #1
Valiant| Turok Dinosaur Hunter #2
DC | Superman: The Man of Steel #78 Reign of the Supermen
DC | Superman: The Man of Steel #78(Alt)Reign of the Supermen
DC | Superman: The Man of Steel #18
DC | Superman: The Man of Steel #19
DC | Superman: The Man of Steel #22 Reign of the Supermen
DC | Superman: The Man of Steel #23 Reign of the Supermen
DC | Superman #74 Doomsday Issue
DC | Superman #75 (unopened) (Superman Death Issue)
DC | Adventures of Superman #500
DC | Adventures of Superman #500 (unopened)
DC | Adventures of Superman #501 Reign of the Supermen
DC | The Death of Superman (Complete Story in one book)
DC | Adventures of Superman #497
DC | Superman in Action Comics #684
DC | Superman in Action Comics #689
DC | Superman in Action Comics #687
DC | Justice League America #69
DC | Justice League America #71

Almost all of the books were purchased as collector's items. The store owner had books set aside for people that wanted to still read the story after they bought their book.

All of the books have stayed plastic sleeves with a piece of cardboard to prevent bending. As far as I can tell they are mostly flawless minus a couple non-color break dents and such.

I know some of these are basically worthless, but from what I can see on the interweb I have a couple that are pretty valuable.

I know my collection is more nostalgic than valuable, but should I spend the money to get them graded and encapsulated?

I appreciate your help with this.

Cheers,
William
Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome, William.

Personally, I wouldn't bother slabbing these unless you are planning on trying to sell some of them in the near future. And understand that, for these comics and most comics from this era, the books have to be in almost perfect shape to make slabbing worthwhile.

I have many (most?) Of these comics myself and I have not slabbed them. But that's just me. Others on the forum will most likely have differing opinions.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
The Spawn #1 is probably the most desirable of these books in my opinion. If you post a couple of photos of it front and back on here, we can give you a better idea.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips Even then, it’s not a particularly expensive book.

@William Also keep in mind that all the polybagged books will have to be opened and removed before being graded and loose items like tradings cards cannot be slabbed with the book.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Also keep in mind that these aren't at all rare in high grade. If you're thinking you might sell them, you'll have a great deal of competition.

If you don't already feel a desire to have them graded and/or encapsulated, save your money.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
The Spawn #1 is probably the most desirable of these books in my opinion. If you post a couple of photos of it front and back on here, we can give you a better idea.

IMO - cameos and 1st appeatance of Doomsday are the slab worthy candidates. There is always the need for high grade DC keys.

For the JL 69 & 70 - also two books with lower than norm print runs.....I think they are keys myself...but that can be subjective.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite I agree. I am reaching a little. Maybe $60 book in a 9.8 Just trying to help a little. @ZosoRocks I don't think the Doomsday books have the same upside potential. Maybe I am wrong.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Lots of bids on high grade books.
EBay is usually 1/4 to 50% value - dependingnupon demand, scarcity, rarity, etc...etc...

Not a bad price....about $60.00 a book....but with interest nonetheless.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372631850565
Post 8 IP   flag post
3 bidders...8 bids....amother single 9.8 #18.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133070921791
Post 9 IP   flag post
Clearly slab worthy....if you can afford, TAT, slabbing fees, etc.

Not a bad one for display either.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm reading this strictly from a "does slabbing make me more money" perspective. The answer is probably "no". Keep reading for why if you want.
Grading costs $18/book. Shipping to CBCS is...$20ish for 10ish books sending it securely priority mail (with insurance, which you'd want to do). Shipping back is a little over $40. So $24.00 per book investment. a 9.8 first doomsday CBCS BIN of just under $59.00clickable text 6 sold, 6 more available. $15.00 shipping and handling. So you bring in $74.00...paypal/ebay take about 10% of that total ($7.40). SO you make $51.60 total on the comic..graded...if it's a 9.8. subtract the $24.00 you spend getting it graded. You got $27.60. So you went through the trouble of grading, waited minimum 6 weeks for the turn around...if it then grades a 9.8, you've made less than $28.00 on the First app doomsday. Spawn #1 if it came back a 9.8 might be worth it, but remember, this is spreading out the shipping there, and back among 10 comics. If you're only submitting 1 comic, so the entire cost of shipping is comic out of that one comic. You'd make $40-$50. I see a lot of Spawn #1s posted for $75.00+, but I don't see anything of them selling. There are several in the $50-$60 range that seem to sell. I see a BIN for $86.00 clickable text For people saying stuff sells on ebay for "50% value"...a comic is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't go into my LCS and spend $400 for a book available on ebay for $200...so it's worth $200.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
This was literally 10 minutes ago. Save your money on the DC books.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
I'm reading this strictly from a "does slabbing make me more money" perspective. The answer is probably "no". Keep reading for why if you want.
Grading costs $18/book. Shipping to CBCS is...$20ish for 10ish books sending it securely priority mail (with insurance, which you'd want to do). Shipping back is a little over $40. So $24.00 per book investment. a 9.8 first doomsday CBCS BIN of just under $59.00clickable text 6 sold, 6 more available. $15.00 shipping and handling. So you bring in $74.00...paypal/ebay take about 10% of that total ($7.40). SO you make $51.60 total on the comic..graded...if it's a 9.8. subtract the $24.00 you spend getting it graded. You got $27.60. So you went through the trouble of grading, waited minimum 6 weeks for the turn around...if it then grades a 9.8, you've made less than $28.00 on the First app doomsday. Spawn #1 if it came back a 9.8 might be worth it, but remember, this is spreading out the shipping there, and back among 10 comics. If you're only submitting 1 comic, so the entire cost of shipping is comic out of that one comic. You'd make $40-$50. I see a lot of Spawn #1s posted for $75.00+, but I don't see anything of them selling. There are several in the $50-$60 range that seem to sell. I see a BIN for $86.00 clickable text For people saying stuff sells on ebay for "50% value"...a comic is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't go into my LCS and spend $400 for a book available on ebay for $200...so it's worth $200.

Lol - uhm - maybe for the future investment bin?

Thanks for responding.

If you have not a premium membership...yep..
Upwards of $41.00 per book...round trip.

With a membership level...cost reduces.

And not to promote CBCS...but i have used them and CGC - and it is worth it for an investment.

Not everyone is on board i would imagine, - but I am a DC Doomsday fan...i may be biased a bit...lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
CBCS graded has not reached the CGC levels yet. Hang in there...they eventually will.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:

Lol - uhm - maybe for the future investment bin?

Thanks for responding.

If you have not a premium membership...yep..
Upwards of $41.00 per book...round trip.

With a membership level...cost reduces.

And not to promote CBCS...but i have used them and CGC - and it is worth it for an investment.

Not everyone is on board i would imagine, - but I am a DC Doomsday fan...i may be biased a bit...lol
They mention nostalgia, but the overall theme was value based as I read it. So my answer was about if it was "worth it". If they had said "hey I love these and want to get them graded, am I crazy"...my answer would have been no.
I have multiple copies of doomsday, death of, and reign of comics and when I see them at a comic shop cheap I buy them. I even have an Adventures of Superman 497 I got SS and graded that came back an 8.5. Completely happy with it, because I wasn't making a value decision, just a "I really want this signed by Grummet and encapsulated" decision. I have 0 regrets.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@William welcome. What are your reasons for why you are considering to slab the books?
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
NO
Post 17 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@William There are much cheaper alternatives to slabbing that can keep your comics protected. A good 4 mil mylar sleeve with a good acid-free backing board will probably give you all the protection you need. You can always slab the comics later if you want to.
Post 18 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Nope, unless you have Spawn 1 or 9 newsstand editions in 9.6-9.8, it’s not worth the hassle. And getting books graded is a hassle.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector William private msg quote post Address this user
Clarification.

I'm not looking to sell anytime soon.

All the books are already in 4 mil sleeves with acid-free backers.

I'm not looking to make money...At least for now.

I'm mainly looking to preserve some items of my past that I can then pass to my kids. (Maybe they'll be worth something then)

I was inquiring for value-based reasons, but I'm not afraid to spend money to preserve potentially valuable items.

Cheers,
Post 20 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve had a few books slabbed for non monetary reasons myself, totally understandable. Just pick your favorites.

Spawn 1 & 9, JLA 69 are the best value based as far as I can tell. I’m not super familiar with Death of Superman stuff though. I just noticed JLA 69 1st print 9.8 is selling for over $100 recently.
Spawn 1 was building interest slowly this year with imminent movie reboot, but recent news put a huge damper on it.
Spawn 9 is more dependent on Marvel’s recent usage and importance placed on Angela.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
https://comicskin.com/

This is a nice alternative.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
For people saying stuff sells on ebay for "50% value"...a comic is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't go into my LCS and spend $400 for a book available on ebay for $200...so it's worth $200.

This is true but with an asterisk. I recently retuned two slabbed books, both graded by cgc, that I felt they overgraded. My goal was to replace
a few direct editions (cgc 9.6) with newsstand editions (cgc 9.6) but when I got them I compared the books side by side and my direct editions looked like they could be pressed to 9.8s, while the newsstands were littered with spine ticks and AT BEST 9.4s in my opinion. The newsstands were graded within the past few months, while my direct copies were graded may 5-7 years ago....which I believe (my personal experience) that cgc was a lot tougher on grading standards.

So you can say it’s worth what it sells for, but witnessing a comic in person, even a slabbed one, will Fetch more $$ depending on its visual appeal and motivation of a potential buyer.

eBay can offer the best price, but the risks of damage in shipment and/hassles of needing to return it come with an intangible cost as well.

Maybe not $200/$400 difference, but I can see shops getting 10-25 percent more on a sale, and that’s not accounting for eBay/PayPal fees.
Post 23 IP   flag post
600488 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?