Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original Artwork

What about proof sheet color guides?9323

Collector JLee1964 private msg quote post Address this user
As a person who had direct access to Marvel and DC, what should be done wirh these in your opinion?

This is one example but i have some others with the first appearances of iron man and others.

This is 1960 Action Comics #269 proof sheet color guide. Two layer acetates from DC printing proof dept.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not sure I understand the question. My instinct, though.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
suitable for framing
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@JLee1964 This is very nice. A museum would be a great place for them or in my collection.
Post 4 IP   flag post

This one is my pride and joy. Any guess on year and issue?
Post 5 IP   flag post
This one is Tales to Astonish. Issue:59 Sept. 1964.

Any ideas on value?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
The desirability is low for most people and I think there are a lot of fakes or forgeries out there. Unless it was a page that had some special meaning to someone, I can't imagine too many people getting excited about them.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Are you "the" Jim Lee?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Well, I can say without a doubt that this is not a forgery.
Post 9 IP   flag post
This is a page from Tales to Astonish 54.

These all come from my direct contact with the artists.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I think they are VERY much desirable pieces.

Even more so if they could be verified and authenticated.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee1964
Well, I can say without a doubt that this is not a forgery.

Even if I assume it's legit, there are people passing off fakes which make the market itself steer clear. They have value, but it's like trying to sell a specific comic from 1985. The right customer has to come along. You'd do best to sell them in bulk to a dealer who had time to wait on that one specific customer to walk in the door and buy that page they liked. He can wait 51 months, 2 days, 5 hours, and 15 minutes until that one specific customer gets excited about it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
1 of 1 double acetates. The final proof just prior to print run. The artist received these after the printers did a final check. Most artists pitched theirs. Not all artists did though...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thank you for the advice. Heritage auctions will be the right dealer for me.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
1 of 1 double acetates. The final proof just prior to print run. The artist received these after the printers did a final check. Most artists pitched theirs. Not all artists did though...

I think they are cool, but I don't know anyone who collects them. Heritage might indeed be the best option since they will make them high profile and reach consumers with large disposable incomes.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I would like to see any article on any fakes of any color guides. They are 1-of-1 and only the archives at Marvel have them or the artists.
Post 16 IP   flag post

Post 17 IP   flag post

Trivia; who knows the issue for these?
Post 18 IP   flag post

Post 19 IP   flag post

And the last for tonight for the DC fans!
Post 20 IP   flag post
That last one was from Teen Titans #3. 1966.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Originally stored and archived at the headquarters of Marvel in NYC. These are in NM condition. Most sheets are in a rough shape from the 1960s.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Color Guide Information:
Color guides were instrumental in the production of comics before computers. The sheets were printed with the line art and then given to colorist to complete with watercolors or inks.Colorists not only brought each page to life with their artistry, but they were also responsible for making sure that they properly coded each part of the page.The codes (YRB) indicate the different percentages of Yellow, Red and Blue that would be needed to produce the desired colors when printed.
Often discarded as worthless after the production of the comic (similar to animation cells - which can now be worth hundreds to thousands of dollars), original production art including color guides and 3Ms have increased in value due to their scarcity! Only one final color guide exists for each comic book page!
Post 22 IP   flag post
I was searching for 2 pages of Defenders original art and bought these "color guides" for $10 a piece on ebay. They weren't what I wanted, but I liked the price and they were interesting, so I gambled. I'm confident that they are photocopies after having received them. I didn't complain, because I liked the pages and it was a low investment cost. Obviously, someone had the originals if they are passing of copies. This can be done for proofs also.

Production art and the processes used to make comics are unknown to many collectors.

Heritage would give the items more clout and you'd see exactly what the market will bear.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Yeah. Those are editor sheets and not even real since the number of notes seems excessive but maybe a new artist would have that many notes.

Color guides are hard to copy unless you have the ability to print to acetate sheets.

I'm not worried about clout with them. If they dont like them I will just keep or give them away.
Post 24 IP   flag post
The scans you show are color edits but seems like a ton. A colorist could have done those while in process.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Now that I look, every color is marked like this was a training exercise for the new colorist to show they know the codes by heart. Those are not from the actual production process.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I do own some watercolor art from DEFIANT and Valiant. I know these are real.

Shooter & Co. used a different process, so these are not exactly the same as color guides. They are watercolor paintings over 1st generation photocopies of the original art.

I think you've decided the best course of action. I do think they are very cool.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Now that I look, every color is marked like this was a training exercise for the new colorist to show they know the codes by heart. Those are not from the actual production process.

In the old days, these were codes for the printer and they had rooms of little old ladies that actually colored the comics. They were literally guides. At least that is my novice understanding. Computers greatly improved the coloring process.
I've seen a lot of color guides that look like mine on the websites of art dealers. The cropping of codes at the edges and the photocopy look of the colors is what makes me confident they aren't real.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Great art! Really like the first one.
Post 29 IP   flag post
There were one or two art students working but no way old ladies had the hand to color. Steady hands and eyes of an eagle is needed for color work. Old ladies could click a computer but only 20 something kids could do fill in coloring. The rest had to be done by the artists.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601289 40 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?