Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

very disappointed with a recent grade..931

Collector Cypher private msg quote post Address this user
Long story short...brought a book to a comic con had the rep look it over and told me nice book should grade well. Sent it off and waited.

Just got the book this week and its a .5 incomplete. Pretty miffed as i feel the rep
should have known something was missing. A centerfold? I didn't know it was supposed to have one.i feel like i wasted money down the tube. Is there any type of voucher for an experience like this? I feel let down by a supposed expert.

Anyone have an experience like this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Yes the rep should have noticed, but you should have too. If it's older and getting above the $50 mark ALWAYS count the pages.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
There have been several page count changes over the years, in many cases it is hard to determine not only if a page is missing but also if is affected the editorial content. I have have a few surprise me over the years.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
When did the standard comic book go to 36 pages?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Schoultzdan private msg quote post Address this user
I always send them with grade minimum standards
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
A rep at a convention is not a grader. It could have been someone hired just to work the show. Just like you, the person made an observation based on what they could see. Cover only grading has bitten more than one person in the ass.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
He just looked at covers, and didn't do a page count. Which is your responsibility, I had the same happen to me on an easy 9.6 spidey 42 last year. These things happen, in the future check your books before submitting
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
The GCD has page counts for many books.

www.comics.org
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like by late 1954 into early 1955, most publishers had gone to 36 pages as the standard. Some had been at 36 pages for a few years by then. I was surprised to find different titles within publishers changed at different times, there wasn't a specific date when everything changed from 44 pages to 36 pages for all titles within a publisher or across all publishers.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
n bite on this one: what was title & number of the comic book?
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Caveat emptor.

"the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made."
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Cypher private msg quote post Address this user
The book in question is 70s DC Firestorm #1. I know it's not anyone's grail...but was a great looking book. Easily should of been 8.0 and up otherwise. Being fairly new to submitting books I didn't even think to count pages let alone know there was a database for that, but will do so with future submissions.
Post 12 IP   flag post
If I may and to teach an easy rule of thumb here on out for every one to follow, most all comic books 1954 on up are 32 pages plus the 4 count for slick covers.

Count 8 pages of pulp paper each side is the best bet "insurance" on any comic book. Takes 20 seconds or less as one develops

One should do it before buying any comic book at any show, before going to sell or trade any comic book.

I do this on a regular basis while also stopping too many times to either re-read some classic I like, or also making sure coupons are not filled in (or clipped) as well as some one coming thru decades ago adding in their own inked word ballons, hairy pits, etc. though one might admit some of those take on wonder works of art all on their own

If I was running CBCS, or had input into developing aspects of company policy, I would make it a point to contact customer who has sent in stuff in good faith to say Hey, you still want a pages missing comic book "certified" or maybe you might want to submit something else in its stead

CGC slabs it all, they just want your money. CGC does not care a whit about customer concerns. Proof of that ideology is simple proof of deleting dozens - hundreds - thousands - of threads and posted customer concerns regarding their supposed "new & improved" plastic coffins.

No one wants to feel burned by a 3rd party "certification" company and this is an easy no brainer "good will" concept.

If I was seeking to maximize perceived "profits" on larger ticket items so seller and buyer are both "protected" at moment of funds transfer, no doubt in my mind I would seek CBCS to place proper grade cert number on each item.

What I fail to (yet) understand is the slabbing up of comic books under say $30. Or comic books under VG four point oh. To me this remains pointless.

Comics under 4.0 I place in term "Reader Copy" cuz that is its remaining function of its life.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics so a 4.0 copy of a book like punch 12 is a reader? I think there is alot of wiggle room to your rules. But I agree regarding page counting.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics

WhaT I fail to (yet) understand is the slabbing up of comic books under say $30. Or comic books under VG four point oh. To me this remains pointless.

Comics under 4.0 I place in term "Reader Copy" cuz that is its remaining function of its life.

Many comics in 4.0 can still be worth a lot of money, so the restoration check is worth the price of a slabbing.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Ahhh, I say "below" VG 4.0 so that would be VG minus 3.5 and below. All of my eBay and Amazon store listings in 3.5 or below say "reader copy" which is searchable. I think once it hits VG minus one needs to be pragmatic realistic.

The middle grades 4.0 thru 5.0 is iffy to me at best cuz to the vast majority of the comics world tis still about reading enjoyment.

I can also "see" slabbing up most ALL comics in NM or better for future generations to be able to have high grades in their lives.

Below 1970 ish or so I can also "see" slabbing em all up IFF (if and only if) the container is archival long term storage as primary criteria. That is where the R&D in all this should be focused on.

Short term "windfall" profits with just a thin mylite sheet is BS. An utter lack of respect.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:

WhaT I fail to (yet) understand is the slabbing up of comic books under say $30. Or comic books under VG four point oh. To me this remains pointless.

Many comics in 4.0 can still be worth a lot of money, so the restoration check is worth the price of a slabbing.

ANY one can become a "resto" enhancement expert.
Simply go buy a black lite bulb, banker's lamp with green umbrella and turn out the lights. Most ALL of anything not printed on the paper jumps out at you. Try it, you'll like it!

That said, "expensive" high end priced stuff should of course be treated to certification to the point of the buyer trusting the transaction. Those same protections protect the seller as well.

It is good to see ethics being "restored" in to the myths of what CGC began perping on the comics world. They are Enron.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:

Simply go buy a black lite bulb, banker's lamp with green umbrella and turn out the lights. Most ALL of anything not printed on the paper jumps out at you. Try it, you'll like it!

So you're saying this is all CBCS does when they check a book?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ahhh, I say "below" VG 4.0 so that would be VG minus 3.5 and below. All of my eBay and Amazon store listings in 3.5 or below say "reader copy" which is searchable. I think once it hits VG minus one needs to be pragmatic realistic.

The middle grades 4.0 thru 5.0 is iffy to me at best cuz to the vast majority of the comics world tis still about reading enjoyment.

Do you mean to sound like a high-grade snob?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:

No, I am not. I know what MIT chemist comic book collector Bill Sarill taught many of us beginning circa 1969 inside the pages of RBCC back when we were all more concerned what was between underneath the covers than parts of the collecting world "seems" to be these days of daze.

I would let CBCS, or CGC, or PGX, state for themselves what they do to "detect" restoration.

There are also ever evolving marketing driven definitions of what constitutes "restoration" which after literally 50 years in this wonderful world of comics collecting some of us "old school" guys laugh at how things supposedly improve, the more they remain the same.

I sure would not wish for my million dollar "investment" to slowly disintegrate. Ever see "white paper" Dime Novels?

Food for thought.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:

After being one of the original finders of the fabled 4000 or so copy Tom Reilly collection back in April thru July 1973 one gets inured to the concept of "perfection" in comic books.

Being the first seller of comic books for more than $2000 out of that incredible find of a lifetime now some 43 years ago one can get a tad spoiled when seeking to define "high grade" -

We went from one store in Berkeley in to a four store chain I dubbed Comics & Comix by Sept 1973 when the Whiz 2 (#1) saw an offer of $2000 from Burrell Rowe (Houston) who then a week later saw us work out $2200 for the Reilly Detective Comics #27 Batman which was like a VF 8.0 a bit less than the issues from Dec 1941 onwards which were most all 9.4 or better having never been touched from their purchase, then his death summer 1945, till his parents died Dec 1972.

For me now, tis the thrill of the hunt seeking out some comic book I have never seen before.

Comics Archaeology 101 I call it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Resurrection @CCD You do realize that you are opening the Gates of Hell, right?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:

No, I am not. I know what MIT chemist comic book collector Bill Sarill taught many of us beginning circa 1969 inside the pages of RBCC back when we were all more concerned what was between underneath the covers than parts of the collecting world "seems" to be these days of daze.

I would let CBCS, or CGC, or PGX, state for themselves what they do to "detect" restoration.

There are also ever evolving marketing driven definitions of what constitutes "restoration" which after literally 50 years in this wonderful world of comics collecting some of us "old school" guys laugh at how things supposedly improve, the more they remain the same.

I sure would not wish for my million dollar "investment" to slowly disintegrate. Ever see "white paper" Dime Novels?

Food for thought.

I'm glad we agree that the CBCS resto check is a valuable tool that is more complicated than you indicated.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:

After being one of the original finders of the fabled 4000 or so copy Tom Reilly collection back in April thru July 1973 one gets inured to the concept of "perfection" in comic books.

Being the first seller of comic books for more than $2000 out of that incredible find of a lifetime now some 43 years ago one can get a tad spoiled when seeking to define "high grade" -

We went from one store in Berkeley in to a four store chain I dubbed Comics & Comix by Sept 1973 when the Whiz 2 (#1) saw an offer of $2000 from Burrell Rowe (Houston) who then a week later saw us work out $2200 for the Reilly Detective Comics #27 Batman which was like a VF 8.0 a bit less than the issues from Dec 1941 onwards which were most all 9.4 or better having never been touched from their purchase, then his death summer 1945, till his parents died Dec 1972.

For me now, tis the thrill of the hunt seeking out some comic book I have never seen before.

Comics Archaeology 101 I call it.

That's a long-winded way to say "yes", but that's good, I like your honesty. At least now we know it's not rude to ignore you when you talk about low grade books.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Stop trolling Beerbohm, new poster who I have no idea who you are.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Plus, you've used that avatar once already.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
The problem with us "old timers" is that we have more to tell than later day arrivals are prepared to listen to. Such is the cross we bear.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Curses, foiled again.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
<slaps head>
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Stop trolling Beerbohm, new poster who I have no idea who you are.

I perceive honest queries from newbies got posted, gear up in to teaching mode I say. There was only ONE Troll come at me in all of CBCS land which I was informed by Jesse_O that SS character got hisself banned all on his lonesome.

Me, Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:

Food for thought.

I'm glad we agree that the CBCS resto check is a valuable tool that is more complicated than you indicated.

Actually, no, Restoration enhancement checking is not more complicated than I indicate. Been doing checks for comic book "enhancements" for more than four decades now. Black Lite bulb pulls up 99% of any thing not actually printed on it.

Those who feel need to pay $20 a book (or more?) to ascertain glue, paint, color touch, tape, etc etc etc go right ahead. If that is the main reason one gets slabs, one wastes one's bucks in the main.

Same with certifying a "grade' on to some funny book. Those who think there is some sort of rocket science attached to the concept, then go ahead.

Back on original thread track, if a guy sends in a Firestorm #1 the concept of earning customer "good will" comes in to play front and center if Cert Corporation contacts customer informing of MIA pages.

That is bone head simple and costs slab guys nothing. Everything to gain from building simple good will & trust.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601328 39 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?