Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

will cbcs grade Faithless erotic covers?9309

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I seem to recall a book listed by a member that mentioned the swaztika. My first impression was, damn I cant believe they graded that.

So the argument of being guilty by proxy does take effect.

I found the book I was referring to on Google images.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
But there's a problem with cartoon nudity!

lolz
Post 27 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I seem to recall a book listed by a member that mentioned the swaztika. My first impression was, damn I cant believe they graded that.

So the argument of being guilty by proxy does take effect.

I found the book I was referring to on Google images.

I thought about this book in regard to this thread. I new it had been graded. it'd be interesting to know what this book is actually about. I would bet a whole lot of money that nazis are not portrayed in a positive light hence cgc grading it. I would be shocked if this is a pro-nazi story.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
It attaches their name and in some way perhaps endorses the content or at the very least the PERCEPTION is CBCS endorses the content. I completely understand why a company would choose not to grade these books.

How would grading them endorse the product? CBCS/CGC are third party grading company nothing they grade is being endorsed by them or in need of their endorsement.

If you owned a grading company would you attach your brand or logo to Neo-Nazi propaganda literature?

An extreme example but it's about controversial material a corporation doesn't want attach itself too.

Definitely not! I would never want my name associated with anything that implied I endorse Nazi values.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D5260&id=1312374
Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC

People like my dumb ass dont often look deeper than the cover.

As usual common sense prevails.

Hansi: The Girl who Loved the Swastika is an American one-shot comic book, published in 1973 by Spire Christian Comics and drawn by Al Hartley. It is a story set in Nazi Germany in 1938 that condemns Nazism and Communism and promotes the Bible. It is based on the real-life story of Maria Anne Hirschmann
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
@GAC

Hansi: The Girl who Loved the Swastika is an American one-shot comic book, published in 1973 by Spire Christian Comics and drawn by Al Hartley. It is a story set in Nazi Germany in 1938 that condemns Nazism and Communism and promotes the Bible. It is based on the real-life story of Maria Anne Hirschmann

All true, but the debate is about the brand being associated distasteful content. New customers looking at the slab aren't going to know it's against the Nazis.
Post 31 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
It attaches their name and in some way perhaps endorses the content or at the very least the PERCEPTION is CBCS endorses the content. I completely understand why a company would choose not to grade these books.

How would grading them endorse the product? CBCS/CGC are third party grading company nothing they grade is being endorsed by them or in need of their endorsement.

If you owned a grading company would you attach your brand or logo to Neo-Nazi propaganda literature?

An extreme example but it's about controversial material a corporation doesn't want attach itself too.

Definitely not! I would never want my name associated with anything that implied I endorse Nazi values.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D5260&id=1312374

Exactly! that's why this book was graded, its an anti-nazi story.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
@GAC

All true, but the debate is about the brand being associated distasteful content. New customers looking at the slab aren't going to know it's against the Nazis.

Theres a difference between the public getting it wrong and extreme nudity.

One is the public is wrong...its an anti nazi story...if they dont know that then they're wrong. the other is extreme nudity which they wouldn't be wrong because that's what it is.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

If a comic has a cover with graphic nudity and sexual acts, but it's about the virtues of celibacy... then it's fair game for grading?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

If a comic has a cover with graphic nudity and sexual acts, but it's about the virtues of celibacy... then it's fair game for grading?

No, because it's the graphic nudity or sexual acts that the company has the issue with not the story itself. That's why swastikas on their own are fine but not stories glorifying the virtues of what the swastika means.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
@GAC

One is the public is wrong...its an anti nazi story...if they dont know that then they're wrong. the other is extreme nudity which they wouldn't be wrong because that's what it is.

I posted a link to a CBCS graded copy because it directly addressed an example of undesirability that you provided. Brand association has nothing to do with whether the consumer gets it right or not.
Post 36 IP   flag post
all those golden age marvel and DC books are fine.. it not nazi propoganda books.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
@GAC

I posted a link to a CBCS graded copy because it directly addressed an example of undesirability that you provided. Brand association has nothing to do with whether the consumer gets it right or not.

if that book was pro nazi I guarantee cbcs would not slab it. it's an anti nazi story....just like all those golden age marvel DC books.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

No, because it's the graphic nudity or sexual acts that the company has the issue with not the story itself. That's why swastikas on their own are fine but not stories glorifying the virtues of what the swastika means.

I don't really care whether they grade anything or not, but I think it's silly to inject their own sense of morality. Take the customer's money and put a disclaimer on the label that they don't endorse the product in the case.

This might comic offend vegetarians, but at least the naked cow has it's private parts hidden in the picture.

Post 39 IP   flag post
I think we can agree that a story condemning distasteful subject matter does not itself make it distasteful right? And showing graphic or extreme nudity, even with virtuous intentions is not the same.

In this conversation I am not attempting to state my views as fact. I'm just trying to say that I understand why a corporation would take this stance.

In the same way an environmentally friendly focused organization may not want to do business with an oil company or chemical company (unless of course it was an endeavour to clean up the environment).
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I think we can agree that a story condemning distasteful subject matter does not itself make it distasteful right? And showing graphic or extreme nudity, even with virtuous intentions is not the same.

Not necessarily. The only reason that comic is remembered is because people think it's promoting Nazis.

If you had a comic with the "N" word on the cover, it wouldn't matter what content was inside. It would be offensive. Some people feel that way about the Swastika. People want to remove a carving of Confederate soldiers off of Stone Mountain in Georgia. It's the largest chunk of exposed granite in the world and one side of it has s huge carving on it. It's associated with racism, so people want to destroy it. The swastika is associated with genocide. People don't want to see it.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
It doesn’t have to be a morality police issue. They may just not want to be associated with it. Not out of judgment, just preference.

This sign, comes to mind.

Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Not necessarily. The only reason that comic is remembered is because people think it's promoting Nazis.

If you had a comic with the "N" word on the cover, it wouldn't matter what content was inside. It would be offensive. Some people feel that way about the Swastika. People want to remove a carving of Confederate soldiers off of Stone Mountain in Georgia. It's the largest chunk of exposed granite in the world and one side of it has s huge carving on it. It's associated with racism, so people want to destroy it. The swastika is associated with genocide. People don't want to see it.

Excellent points!

The swastika has been on a large # of comics especially in the goldenage and some silverage and I believe is generally regarded as a historically offensive symbol that began in another country (i.e. not of American origin and therefore more "allowed" for a lack of a better term).

The N word and Confederate-anything is home grown and a very sensitive topic that I can totally see CBCS or CGC not slabbing any book with that on the cover regardless of the story inside. I think they have the right to refuse slabbing comics like that.

Great examples!
Post 43 IP   flag post

Post 44 IP   flag post
600736 44 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?