Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

What Are Your Recent Submissions?9301

Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I met Jim Shooter at a convention last year and had him sign an Adventure Comics #246 for me (it was his first work in comics, he even did the pencils, at the age of 15!). There was no line, so we just talked for about 15 minutes. He said he never considered himself much of an artist, and thank god for inkers! He had several binders with him that included copies of comics he worked on, plus original art pieces by others too. He also did not charge for his signature; he said he didn't have to (he said he was paid by the convention to appear at it) and since he is mostly know as an editor, he didn't feel it was right to charge. He is an absolutely great guy to talk to, and he's also funny (he told me that a certain artist friend of his, initials NA, gets made at him for not charging for his signature - said it makes HIM look bad).

That is a cool story.

Back in April 2014, I bought 3 posters from NA and asked if he could put todays date on them as he signed each one. With a frown he said he wasn't going to do that and didn't. The lady sitting to his left looked vey unhappy so I asked her if she was NA's wife which she said "Yes". So I asked her for her autograph and if she could put todays date on the 3 posters which she did. Now I am the proud owner of 3 NA posters signed by Mr. and Mrs. NA.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty incredible the contrast between NA and JS.
One not only rakes over the fans with a $50 signature; but when asked to date it.... well.... that's kinda like asking for a head sketch. Outlandish I say!
An offer of $60 may have gotten you that date from NA. I mean afterall it is his time and effort... and a date has gotta be worth around $10
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I met Jim Shooter at a convention last year and had him sign an Adventure Comics #246 for me (it was his first work in comics, he even did the pencils, at the age of 15!). There was no line, so we just talked for about 15 minutes. He said he never considered himself much of an artist, and thank god for inkers! He had several binders with him that included copies of comics he worked on, plus original art pieces by others too. He also did not charge for his signature; he said he didn't have to (he said he was paid by the convention to appear at it) and since he is mostly know as an editor, he didn't feel it was right to charge. He is an absolutely great guy to talk to, and he's also funny (he told me that a certain artist friend of his, initials NA, gets made at him for not charging for his signature - said it makes HIM look bad).

Really good inkers can make artists look better than they truly are.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Pretty incredible the contrast between NA and JS.
One not only rakes over the fans with a $50 signature; but when asked to date it.... well.... that's kinda like asking for a head sketch. Outlandish I say!
An offer of $60 may have gotten you that date from NA. I mean afterall it is his time and effort... and a date has gotta be worth around $10

I may have started a trend. The last Los Angeles Comic Con I was at I bought a comic book signed by STAN LEE, JOAN LEE and J.C. LEE!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
On the way home now!!

Was hoping for 9 and 9+ on the Bat 357's and 7 on the Weird Science

Actual Grades

8.5 - little disappointed but this one goes for sale - maybe wait till next Suicide Squad movie?

9.6!!! knew this would be 9.4-9.8

Was thinking 7 on this bad boy - came back 7.5!!!!!!!

Post 30 IP   flag post

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user

WOW - just checked CGC census - only 50 graded and only 18 higher than 7.5

Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
On the way home now!!

Was hoping for 9 and 9+ on the Bat 357's and 7 on the Weird Science

Actual Grades

8.5 - little disappointed but this one goes for sale - maybe wait till next Suicide Squad movie?

9.6!!! knew this would be 9.4-9.8

Congrats! Solid grades all around, but lower than a 9 when you're expecting a 9.0 at least can be a bummer.
Post 32 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:

That is a cool story.

Back in April 2014, I bought 3 posters from NA and asked if he could put todays date on them as he signed each one. With a frown he said he wasn't going to do that and didn't. The lady sitting to his left looked vey unhappy so I asked her if she was NA's wife which she said "Yes". So I asked her for her autograph and if she could put todays date on the 3 posters which she did. Now I am the proud owner of 3 NA posters signed by Mr. and Mrs. NA.

Dumb question. Why would a date be such a problem? And is there any particular reason you want a date?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
Currently waiting on these to come back from grading. I also have the first Jason Todd as the red hood but don’t have a picture.

Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:

That is a cool story.

Dumb question. Why would a date be such a problem? And is there any particular reason you want a date?

Not a dumb question. I have no idea why NA wouldn't put the date on it. It's just a few more pen strokes. My reason for wanting dates on my books are simple. I am a collector and very rarely sell my books unless I've bought for resale. Through out my life I've had my name and date added. My first one was STRANGE TALES 167. Jim Steranko put "To: Rafel. Jim Steranko". I think the year was 1977-78. Also, if it's signed to a person that person isn't looking to resell it.
Post 35 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Personalized for personal momento and not for future profit. Hell of a concept.

=)
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Personalized for personal momento and not for future profit. Hell of a concept.

=)

Back in the days collecting comic books was more for fun then profit. In todays world, buying comic books is for profit not so much for collecting. Although, I did some speculation back in my days.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I started collecting key silvers in the early 2000's. Stopped collecting and after a decade or so, found out value of my collection, I have been collecting to hit value tiers since. (Total go collect value of all graded books) although there are a few books I am actually proud to own, a lot dont have any particular meaning except monetary value.

I have no desire to sell them. Prolly couldn't even if times got rough. When I kick the bucket though, my brother is going to be one happy camper.

=)
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I look at it this way:

That expression “collect what you like” is some of the best advice you can get in any hobby.

That said, I consider that advice incomplete. Yes, you should always collect what you personally like. BUT it’s wise to collect what you personally like that at least has potential to grow in value.

But the minute I don’t “like” something. The second a book does not bring me joy anymore, I sell it and put the money towards something else I enjoy more.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I look at it this way:

That expression “collect what you like” is some of the best advice you can get in any hobby.

That said, I consider that advice incomplete. Yes, you should always collect what you personally like. BUT it’s wise to collect what you personally like that at least has potential to grow in value.

But the minute I don’t “like” something. The second a book does not bring me joy anymore, I sell it and put the money towards something else I enjoy more.

Wanna buy a pence?
J/K
Post 40 IP   flag post
601329 40 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?